Hello everyone!

Hello everyone,

nice to meet you. My name is Philipp and I found my latest passion in (DLSR) video making.
I live in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, and working in the computer game industry as cinematic designer. In the Foundry42 company.

A few months back I started doing videos with my Canon 1200D camera and now starting to collect gear/building up my kit to do more professional work.
If there are people in Frankfurt who do photography/video, I would be pleased to meet you, and we could go on excursions together!

I'd love to learn from people.

I just set up my first videos on youtube. I would love if you could check it out and give me some feedback if you dont mind. Critism is very welcome - it is a good way to grow for me quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRTxbRWdZI

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,
Philipp

Last edited:
WELCOME BRASSO!!!

I'm one of the resident sound people here on IndieTalk.

Coming from the game industry you probably already know about the importance of sound, but as a sound-for-picture guy I, of course, have to put in my obligatory advice.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

Research about sound now, while you are still beginning your video adventures (AcousticAl and I would br happy to help). Get into those good habits right from the start. By the time you start doing more important projects it will be as natural as breathing.

Much appreciate your response, Alcove Audio. I do know about the importance of sound.
- What would have you improved in my Video?
- Was the Sound/Music to loud/quiet? Not enough variation?
- Did I miss anything?

Looking forward from another response from you.

Cheers,
Philipp

As I mentioned, since you come from the gaming industry you probably already knew about the importance of sound. However, sound for narrative and documentary projects is a completely different ball of wax than game sound. What I'm talking about is capturing solid production sound and doing a "proper" audio post.

Production sound is very simple - you need to select the appropriate microphone for the situation and keep it accurately aimed. It's the details and technicals skills that get involved, which mic(s) to choose and recording the sound cleanly. The biggest challenge is keeping the boomed mic aimed accurately; boom-ops probably have the most difficult job on the set.

Audio post is a very complex process - ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement) recording, dialog (DX) editing (selecting better lines from alternate takes and/or DX wilds and/or ADR), performing/recording Foley (footsteps, kisses, punches, props handling, etc.), recording/selecting/editing sound effects (vehicles, weapons, doors/windows, animals/creatures [both real and fantasy], ambiences, etc.), dropping in and editing score & source music, and rerecording/mixing all of that together.

Here is a reading list to get you started. It covers the basics so you know which questions to ask.

The Location Sound Bible - Ric Viers

Audio Postproduction for Film and Video - Jay Rose
Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Yewdall
Audio-Vision - Michel Chion

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures - John Purcell
The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament
The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

Sound Design - David Sonnenschein

You should also check out FilmSound.org; its hasn't been updated in a while, but the glossaries, history articles and interviews with & articles by sound-for-picture professionals (especially Randy Thom and Walter Murch) are excellent.

Yes, sound-for-picture seems like a very complex and confusing subject. However, it's really very simple, there's just a hell of a lot of simple.

As I said, Acoustic Al and myself are more than happy to answer questions.

There's nothing in your video to critique; it's just a practice/experiment with the camera example with stock music underneath.

Welcome!!! I thought that both of your video were good. I also enjoyed the music choice. I would say just keep making more stuff and learn from everything you make to refine future creations. Rock on!!!!

Perhaps slow the speed of you're footage with like 10% or 20% use some optical flow... this will give the video more of that dreamy look and smooth things out a bit.

Back