• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Best Short Film Competition Ever!

The Filmmaker Problem: Funding.
The Screenwriter Problem: Finding Production.

Solution: WritersandFilmmakers.com
------------------------------------------------------------
Best short film competition - EVER!!

The winning filmmaker wins up to $25,000 to shoot one of the top 10 scripts. Winning writer receives up to $10,000 for their short script!

Writers judge filmmakers and filmmakers judge writers. It’s that simple! We fund you to collaborate.

The writers review films and decide the best filmmaker. The filmmakers read scripts and decide the top 10 scripts. The winning filmmaker selects one of the top 10 scripts to shoot and we fund the production. The screenwriter gets paid and their script made. The filmmaker gets funded to shoot the script.

No need for connections to get accepted into the festival. You are the judge! If you are a writer, you want the best filmmaker. If you are a filmmaker you want the best script! Writers can't judge writers. Filmmakers can't judge filmmakers.

Visit www.writersandfilmmakers.com to enter now. Pay only when the competition starts (That way we are not holding your money). Approximately 500 writers and 500 filmmakers can enter - That is a maximum of 1000 entries. Imagine competing with only 500 people. TIFF and Sundance had over 15,000 submissions last year.

The filmmaker owns 100% of the film. Writersandfilmmakers.com owns 0%.

Why do we say “up to”? Because it’s free to enter until the competition starts, we recognize that some people will sign up but not commit. So we have to go on without them!

Can you give an estimate for when Entries will go into the "paying period"?

I've decided to submit my upcoming short if possible, but it will be about 3-4 months from now when it starts to hit the circuit.

Hi Guys, Sorry for the delay in my response.

sweetie, Things are good! I'm working on a lot of different projects.

Did I show you my latest art piece?
https://vimeo.com/127897681

Skycopeland, I'm confused by your statement. You can make your submission completely private and will affect your ability to enter into festivals. To answer your first question though, I'm hoping for less than six months from now.

Imagine competing with only 500 people.
I love the idea of competing with only 500 writers. And getting
$20,000 for my script.

I'm interested in what happens if you get only 200 submissions.
The good news I'm competing with only 200 writers. But then I'm
not getting $20,000. What percentage of the total number will the
winning writer in the feature competition get? Am I correct in
figuring that with 200 paid submissions the writer gets $4,000 and
the winning filmmaker gets $10,000? To make a feature film.

I ask because if I'm going to submit a script it would help to know
that I'm writing a script for a $10,000 feature rather than a $50,000
feature.

Hi Directorik!

As for the short film competition, we are well past the 200 entries. So no need to worry about that. It WILL happen!

As for the feature competition, it will take longer. At this stage, we still wont start the competition until we get 1000 entries. Remember that we are not holding your money - so we are asking for a non financial commitment.

Everything will be transparent. If we get to 1000 entries and then ask people to pay, yet only 80% actually do, then we will notify everyone and let them know. We will ask them to VOTE!: Do you want to proceed with the money raised, or wait for the other 20%?

Its a democratic process....that's why it 's awesome!

Jonathan

We keep going around is circles. I am not questioning your ethics,
your commitment, your transparency or your democratic process.
My question is what percentage of the total raised in the feature
competition will the writer get and what percentage of the total
raised in the feature competition will the filmmaker get? This is
not mentioned on your site.

I'm asking because a script for a $10,000 feature (as an example)
is going to be different than the script for a $50,000 feature.

We keep going around is circles. I am not questioning your ethics,
your commitment, your transparency or your democratic process.
My question is what percentage of the total raised in the feature
competition will the writer get and what percentage of the total
raised in the feature competition will the filmmaker get? This is
not mentioned on your site.

I'm asking because a script for a $10,000 feature (as an example)
is going to be different than the script for a $50,000 feature.

Sorry for confusing you!

It's on the site! (in two places too!) (or maybe I'm just not getting your questions! Sorry!)

Here is the short answer: 20% of funds raised to the writer. 50% of funds raised to the Filmmaker.

Here is the long answer from our rules page (both short and feature examples are below):

Feature Film Example:

· Step 1: $20,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is awarded to the feature filmmaker upon winning the feature filmmakers prize.

· Step 2: $20,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is then paid to the feature writer by the winning feature filmmaker for the script.

· Step 3: Writersandfilmmakers.com will award $30,000 (or 30% of funds raised) to the winning feature filmmaker upon demonstration and verification that the winning feature writer (chosen by the winning feature filmmaker from the top 10 feature scripts) has agreed and entered in to a contract with the winning feature filmmaker in the amount of $20,000 (or 20% of funds raised).

· The feature filmmaker now has $30,000 (or 30% of funds raised) to shoot principle photography.

· Step 4: $20,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is awarded to the winning feature filmmaker upon demonstration and verification by writersandfilmmakers.com that principal photography has been completed.

· Failure to demonstrate and obtain verification by Writersandfilmmakers.com will result in foregoing of the final payment.

· The winning feature filmmaker, if they complete principle photography upon satisfactory terms set by Writersandfilmmakers.com, should have received $70,000 (or 70% of funds raised) in total, $20,000 (or 20% of funds raised) for the feature writer and $50,000 (or 50% of funds raised) for the feature filmmaker.

Short Film Example:

· Step 1: $10,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is awarded to the short filmmaker upon winning the short filmmakers prize.

· Step 2: $10,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is then paid to the short writer by the winning short filmmaker for the script.

· Step 3: Writersandfilmmakers.com will award $15,000 (or 30% of funds raised) to the winning short filmmaker upon demonstration and verification that the winning short writer (chosen by the winning short filmmaker from the top 10 short scripts) has agreed to a contract with the winning short filmmaker in the amount of $10,000 (or 20% of funds raised).

· The short filmmaker now has $15,000 (or 30%of funds raised) to shoot principle photography.

· Step 4: $10,000 (or 20% of funds raised) is awarded to the winning short filmmaker upon demonstration and verification by Writersandfilmmakers.com that principal photography has been completed.

· Failure to demonstrate and obtain verification by Writersandfilmmakers.com will result in foregoing of the final payment.

ALSO - to address your last comment, that a 10k feature is different than a 50k feature. The juding for the feature scripts it is always the same, regardless of the prize amount. 34% Creativity, 33% cost of shooting, 33% Ease of shooting. For better definitions of those three, check out the very bottom video on the home page.

For the short scripts, they judging breakdown is 80% creativity, 10% cost of shooting and 10% ease of shooting.

Last edited:
It's based on entry numbers and not time. If it becomes an annual competition then awesome! IF it takes 14 months, then so be it. The competition is unique and meant to fund a production that the community has decided is worth producing!

Back