• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Circular Movement in Premiere Pro CS5

Hi, I know that video is in the filming, just was an example, but the project I'm editing, the guy wants me to add that movement in post, wasn't sure if there was a way to do that since I know there's lots of ways to move footage in post even if it wasn't shot that way.

I can't see the video for some reason but if you want the video to rotate around, there is a setting for that under TRANFORMS. It is called ROTATE. Change the setting and you'll see what it does. If you want the frame to rotate over time, you can set up a start and end keyframe. Remember that as the frame turns, the edges will become visible. You will have to zoom (scale) in to solve that problem. Zoom, or SCALE is also in the Transforms section.

In AE you can move footage around, but it won't look the same as the video, because the video has parallax. Moving the shot around a circular path will just look like a cheesy effect that moves the shot .

Any way you do this will look like rubbish. Really needs to be done in camera or go through the pain of isolating the elements and projecting onto 3D geo like you would for stereo conversion.

the project I'm editing, the guy wants me to add that movement in post

This ain't a job for an editor.

It's not that hard to do if you have the right skill sets, but time consuming. As with everything, throw enough money at the problem and everything is achievable.

The real question should be, does he have enough of a budget to achieve this effect in post?

Back