• Major Studio Budgets
  • Mini-Major Studio Budgets
  • Independent Studio Budgets
  • Low Budgets
  • Micro Budgets
  • No Budgets
  • DIY Filmmaker Budgets
It doesn't matter.
Any available data on a film's budget, especially credible breakdowns, is what's appropriate for this thread.

The idea is to see what others are (reported) to be doing to use as a reference model for what we could/should be doing as a self-check.
"Compared to peer and non-peer filmmakers or the industry, am I spending too much money on X and not enough on Y?"

What got me started on this is that first I had found a reported budget for Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life

http://abovethelineproducer.blogspot.com/2011/02/film-budgeting.html
"Though movie studios are reluctant to release the precise details of their movies' budgets, it has occasionally been possible to obtain (clandestinely) details of the cost of a films break down.

"Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
  • Story rights and screenplay: $4 million
  • Producers: $4 million
  • Director (Jan de Bont): $5 million
  • Cast: $17.25 million
  • - Angelina Jolie: $12 million
  • - Extras: $250,000
  • - Other (inc. Angelina's perks): $5 million
  • Production costs: $67 million
  • - Set design and construction: $17.8 million
  • Visual Effects: $13 million
  • Music: $3.3 million
  • Editing: $3 million
  • Post Production costs: $1.5 million
Total: $118 million​
Source: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/laracroft1.htm
"

And that's great and wonderful and all.
Then I find another article that clearly shows the major studios are playing a completely different ball game than many of us in the PONY league.

http://abovethelineproducer.blogspot.com/2010/08/magic-of-studio-financing.html
"Consider Paramount's 2001 action flick Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. On paper, Tomb Raider's budget was $94 million. In fact, the entire movie cost Paramount less than $7 million. How did the studio collect over $87 million before cameras started rolling?

First, they used the German tax-shelter gambit. Loopholes in Germany's tax code are responsible for a good portion of Paramount's profits—an estimated $70 million to $90 million in 2003 alone. Best of all, there's no risk or cost for the studio (other than legal fees)... In the case of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Paramount sold the copyright to a group of German investors for $94 million through Tele-München Gruppe, a company headed by German mogul Herbert Kloiber. Paramount then repurchased the film for $83.8 million in lease and option payments. The studio's $10.2 million windfall paid the salaries of star Angelina Jolie ($7.5 million) and the rest of the principal cast.

[Second], Paramount made some more preproduction cash by taking advantage of the British government's largesse. To qualify for Section 48 tax relief in Britain, the movie had to include some scenes filmed in Britain and employ a couple of British actors. Given Lara Croft's peripatetic plot, neither condition presented an artistic problem. Again, Paramount entered into a complex sale-leaseback transaction, this time with Britain's Lombard Bank. Through this legal legerdemain, the studio netted, up front, another $12 million—enough to pay for the director and script.

[Third], To pay for most of the rest of the movie, Paramount sold distribution rights in six countries where the Tomb Raider video games were a big hit with teenage boys. These pre-sales in Japan, Britain, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain brought in another $65 million.

Through this triple play, Paramount earned a grand total of $87.2 million. [Fourth], The remaining budget—less than $7 million—would be covered by licensing the film's U.S. pay-television rights to Showtime (a network owned by Paramount's corporate parent, Viacom). At no cost to its treasury, Paramount launched a potential franchise—don't forget that sequels can be financed with the same "risk management" techniques."

Some of these techniques we might be able to use creative variants of.
Point is, the studios aren't just being dumb and lazy putting up 100% of their own cash outlays and Humpty Dumptying out to the back lot or New Zealand.

Neither should we.

Remainder of budgets available from that article:
"Though movie studios are reluctant to release the precise details of their movies' budgets, it has occasionally been possible to obtain (clandestinely) details of the cost of a films break down.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
  • Story rights (Carolco and Gale Anne Hurd): $14.5 million
  • Screenplay: $5.2 million
  • John D. Brancato & Michael Ferris: $1 million
  • Director (Jonathan Mostow): $5 million
  • Producers: $10 million
  • Cast: $35 million
  • - Arnold Schwarzenegger: $29.25 million + 20% gross profits
  • - Arnold's perks: $1.5 million
  • - Rest of principal cast: $3.85 million
  • - Extras: $400,000
  • Production costs: $58 million
  • Post-production costs: $4 million
  • Visual effects: $20 million
  • Music: $2 million
  • Other costs: $33.6 million
Total: $187.3 million​
Source: http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/budget.htm

Spider-Man
  • Story rights: $20 million
  • Screenplay: $10 million
  • Producers: $15 million
  • Director (Sam Raimi): $10 million
  • Cast: $30 million
  • - Tobey Maguire: $17 million
  • - Kirsten Dunst: $7 million
  • - Alfred Molina: $3 million
  • - Rest of cast: $3 million
  • Production costs: $45 million
  • Visual effects: $65 million
  • Music: $5 million
  • - Composer (Danny Elfman): $2 million.
Total: $200 million​
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/20 "

And if you're not paying attention, these are only production budgets/expenses.
They do not include P&A which may easily equal or exceed the production budget ($150m), listed below as "DISTRIBUTION FEE" @ $211.8m and "TOTAL EXPENSES" @ $191.8m (cumulative):

harry-potter-net-profits.jpg

Last edited:
If you used gear you already own... a portion of that HAS to be included in the accounting if you want a true number.

They don't even add in the cost of their own gas... lol
Yup.
Those're "indirect costs".

Fave illustration of mine is this:
direct_indirect_costs.png

For big budget productions by regular film prodcos with legit accounting departments they know to include amortized indirect costs, AKA overhead, into the reported budget.
But many DIY one-man-band no budget filmmakers only consider direct costs as expenses.

So many indie peeps think that the lower the no/lo budget number is, the cooler / better filmmaker they are and they lie through their teeth.
Yeah, IDK what the fascination is trying to out-cheap the competition is.
A cr@p budget shows, plain and simple.
There's no hiding it.

So, unless filmmakers just want to alleviate concerns they p!ssed away X-amount of dollars (likely in the several to tens-of-thousands of dollars) the best I figure is that it's a flaccid stab at marketing.
Lord knows no-budget proclamations garner very little charity from the more harsh but more legit rabble opinion.

The quality difference between a $20k and a $50k movie is a rather nice chunck of change.
However, most films won't benefit from that notable difference in expense.
Most films experience their greatest technical difficulties somewhere between FADE IN: and FADE OUT:.

Crazy what I can and can't remember.
But I did remember this convo almost a month ago when I read the article that follows.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=347506&#post347506
Ray said:
Because I know people who worked on it. I know people who heard some of his conversations.
Will you please be more explicit about the content of his conversations?
More nuts and bolts, less allusions.

Do you really think it's appropriate for a multi-millionaire to have dinner on the taxpayer?
The general idea behind state film incentives is to refund or credit back a fraction of the amount "brought" or retained in a state that would or could otherwise go to another state.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=40055

Funny thing is is that I just recently covered Michigan in another thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=346185#post346185

Whatever.

Okay, so please explain to me how Eastwood and co. spend probably 80% of $33m ($26.4m) in the state, get a whopping 47% back in refunds, leaving Michigan enriched by around $14m that had a fair chance of going to Minnesota - is a bad thing?

How did Eastwood & co. bring an additional c. $14m to Michigan and eat dinner on the taxpayer's dime?

Well TWB, it seems MI is voluntarily bending over again (with a grin!): http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-production-budget/
"Michelle Grinnell, public relations manager for the Michigan Film Office, tells Inquisitr that this is the largest production for the state since Oz, the Great and Powerful, and will come in with a [production] budget of $131 million. Keep in mind that this is only on the production budget, and doesn’t include additional locations and post-production costs, which will likely push the budget far beyond $131 million. Furthermore, the Detroit Free Press reports that the production will use all seven sound studios at the Michigan Motion Picture Studios in Pontiac as well as locations around the state. The shoot is expected to create 6,000 jobs and bring in $5 million in revenue.
Read more at http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-production-budget/#e60olG0K11UgbvIx.99"
Wow!
$131m production budget.
$5m in local revenue.

That's, uh... rather minuscule - and apparently what the state's gunning for.

It will be interesting to see if other production budgets vs. state benefit stats come in somewhere near this.
>> If anyone runs across relevant articles please send them this way. Thank you.

How I find this relevant to our indie scene is in regards to seeking a production and funding combo that's eligible/considerable for seeking state tax incentives.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=40055

It sure would be annoying if I were to do all the producer's work of getting a film made in X state, counting on some of that refund/credit money as part of the financing package, only find out that only a portion of the total budget spent in state is eligible = a tax incentive minimum criteria fail.

How about I/we not do that, eh?!

Last edited:
Hi. I produce a series with a 400k$ budget alone. My DOP helped organise the crew and also does a lot of the post production work. So basically he is one of the two "most important" people in the production. Also he has worked for a good rate for the filming and the editing. What kind of profit share would be appropriate? I have no experience = no clue. From my stomach I feel something around 20% sounds fair? Or am I far off with that number?

Hi. I produce a series with a 400k$ budget alone. My DOP helped organise the crew and also does a lot of the post production work. So basically he is one of the two "most important" people in the production. Also he has worked for a good rate for the filming and the editing. What kind of profit share would be appropriate? I have no experience = no clue. From my stomach I feel something around 20% sounds fair? Or am I far off with that number?

Whatever he will agree to that you are comfortable with is a good percentage.

Back