• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anybody abandoning FCP...for good?

Since Apple is stopping the sale of FCP 7 / FCP Studio 3, are you going to switch to Avid or Premiere...or are you going to stick with FCP 10 (aka iMovie 2)?

All I have to say to this thread about the bickering about which computer is better is this:

Just make a god damn movie.

Who cares what it's edited on? The final product is people watching your movie, right?

I'd also like to point out the fact that Jurassic Park was probably edited and/or had SFX done on computers which were probably a quarter the speed of your iPod touch or android gizmo.

So when is someone here going to make and edit a movie better than Jurassic Park? Tools not good enough? The PC which is twice as fast now with non-lin editing and options people would have drooled over if they would have had them 40 years ago is worth insulting?

Just the other day I had an intern in my studio complain about Pro Tools not letting him do what he wanted with an edit he was trying to do on some dialogue line. He was really riled up and came back to me 3 or 4 times in the day complaining "It's too slow... It doesn't work well... It's stupid... Why can't I do this edit with this POS program?...", you know, typical intern prima donna bull&&%#, and I straight up made him transfer it to a 2-track tape on a reel-to-reel machine and finish his edit with a razor blade or he wouldn't be allowed to work on that project anymore. He finished it and now has an infinite more amount of respect for how far computers have come with ease of use and opportunity.

I think there are many people out there (I'm not pointing a finger at any of you) who take for granted many of the advances they have now over just 10 years ago in this business. The fact that this site has 10 people a week coming here and asking what camera to buy is testament to that.

Go ask Spielberg if he would have complained about having a PC when he was making his WW2 films as a kid. Funny thing is, though, that those early films he made as a kid would smoke 95% of the beginner's films on Vimeo today. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Yes, that!

Totally. My phone has more computational power than the computers used to put a man on the moon. That was slide rules baby!

You're right though, It is a pretty ridiculous argument because our expectations keep changing. In high school and college I would've killed for stuff you can just download for free online now. Kids these days! Lol. Hell, I would've killed for the Internet. Not that my Amiga wasn't impressive as hell at the time. :)

Though many of us here love Macs, I think quite a few Mac users will agree that FCP X -- as it exists now -- is a piece of crap. Or as knightly said, "The technology was half assed."

I just don't buy the whole "We'll fix it with upgrades" line of BS. You can't just take a well-developed piece of software and throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Can anybody imagine what customer reaction would be if Adobe decided to chuck the existing version of Photoshop and start over from scratch? The company would be out of business within a year.

Apple can afford to jerk around FCP users because it's a small piece of their business. FCP X is clearly aimed at a consumer, rather than a pro/prosumer base. Apple seems to want a bigger but less technically-oriented video maker market.

Who cares what it's edited on? The final product is people watching your movie, right?

I'd also like to point out the fact that Jurassic Park was probably edited and/or had SFX done on computers which were probably a quarter the speed of your iPod touch or android gizmo.

Steven Spielberg to this day has NEVER edited on a computer of any kind. He still edits on an upright moviola. Michael Kahn has edited every single movie except two (JAWS edited by Verna Fields and E.T. edited by Carol Littleton). Spielberg has vowed to never cut any other way because of his creative process.

So you are 100% right - it's the artist, not the brush.

Back