• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Short Film Funding Contest

Hey everyone,

I’ve been an Indietalker for a little over three years now, and I’ve had such a great community experience. While I’ve learned so much here, I still struggle to find film funding resources for my short film projects, so I’ve decided to launch a funding contest (found at thefilmfund.co) to help out other filmmakers who may face the same struggle. The contest has yet to launch, but I have a landing page set up to collect email addresses from those interested. It would be incredible if I could get fellow Indie Talk users involved in the contest, as it’s really geared toward indie filmmakers. Here’s a little more info below that I have on my website. Let me know what you think!

“Starting out as an independent filmmaker not based in Los Angeles or New York City, I found myself struggling to raise financing and find resources for my film projects, and it appeared that many contests were dominated by those who already had industry experience or access to better resources and crew.

The Film Fund is a short film contest designed to level the funding field, as no advantage is given to entrants based on industry experience. Effective storytellers should be able to succinctly convey the vision they have for their projects. That's the basis of the contest.”

Hi Tom,

nice idea. It is actually a kind of lottery if it's not clear how a winner will be picked.
Can you tell more about that proces?

Thanks!

A judging panel will pick the best sentence based on how compelling its premise is and also why the entrants need the funding to achieve their vision.

They will be judged on the following criteria: a compelling premise that also conveys why you need this funding to achieve your vision.

(It's still in pre-launch, but the panel will consist of experienced creatives/filmmakers, former studio executives, etc.)

Hey everyone,

I’ve been an Indietalker for a little over three years now, and I’ve had such a great community experience. While I’ve learned so much here, I still struggle to find film funding resources for my short film projects, so I’ve decided to launch a funding contest (found at thefilmfund.co) to help out other filmmakers who may face the same struggle. The contest has yet to launch, but I have a landing page set up to collect email addresses from those interested. It would be incredible if I could get fellow Indie Talk users involved in the contest, as it’s really geared toward indie filmmakers. Here’s a little more info below that I have on my website. Let me know what you think!

“Starting out as an independent filmmaker not based in Los Angeles or New York City, I found myself struggling to raise financing and find resources for my film projects, and it appeared that many contests were dominated by those who already had industry experience or access to better resources and crew.

The Film Fund is a short film contest designed to level the funding field, as no advantage is given to entrants based on industry experience. Effective storytellers should be able to succinctly convey the vision they have for their projects. That's the basis of the contest.”
A great idea. One thought and a few questions:

Drop the “not based on Los Angeles or New York”. Did you know that
independent filmmakers in Los Angeles and New York also struggle
to raise financing for film projects? I suggest that you be more inclusive
– especially considering that you pulled a picture of Paramount Studios
as your front page picture.

Where does the $10,000 come from? Round 2? That's a minimum of 400
people paying $25. More, really – you need to cover admin fees. Who
decides the winner? If you only get, say, 10 people willing to pay the $25
that's only $250. Sure, it's better than nothing but I don't think I'm willing
to pay $25 for the chance to get $250.

Thanks for the great response, directornik.

A great idea. One thought and a few questions:

Drop the “not based on Los Angeles or New York”

I added the NYC & LA bit initially because that's my story-- but you're right, it could make it seem restrictive.

Where does the $10,000 come from? Round 2? That's a minimum of 400
people paying $25. More, really – you need to cover admin fees. Who
decides the winner? If you only get, say, 10 people willing to pay the $25
that's only $250. Sure, it's better than nothing but I don't think I'm willing
to pay $25 for the chance to get $250.

That's why I've made it " *Up* to $10,000." The entry fees contribute to the funding, and sponsors could contribute to the funding as well.

I've got some interested users so far, so hopefully more than 10 people will enter :)

The judging panel will consist of experienced creatives/filmmakers, former studio executives, etc. and will be announced once the contest opens for entries.

The project is in its early stages -- just recruiting interested users right now -- so feedback is definitely welcome!

Last edited:
Also not unimportant for the sake of transparancy: what percentage goes into costs you make?
Where will the money be parked while the jury has to judge up to 400 lines?

Also not unimportant for the sake of transparancy: what percentage goes into costs you make?

If I understand your question correctly, it depends on how many entrants the contest receives. Most of the contest costs will go toward marketing the contest through advertising.

Where will the money be parked while the jury has to judge up to 400 lines?

It will be held in an escrow account.

This current website is to find interested users before the contest launches. When it does open for entries, there will be updated contest rules, terms, and a complete FAQ section.

Back