• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Cried, bled, and went to jail to make this episode. Some motivation if you need it.

It's a good read, you'll be rewarded at the end. Stick with me here. But, just in case LINK TO EPISODE AT THE BOTTOM

As some of you know, since the start of the year I've been trying to pitch my comedy series "We're going to be rich!," with no luck.

I got together with some friends (some comedians, some with no experience) and went ahead and decided to record this myself. Now, this is not my first project, but it is my most ambitious.

It's been about a year now, and I just published my third episode. That's right... Count with me in Count Chocula voice, one... Two... Three... Three... This WHOLE year.

Three 1/2 hr episodes later, and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart, this is ****ing brutal.

I used to think, that as long as something felt right within you, and you were following that feeling and you have positive intentions that the world would align itself to help you... I am here to say, I no longer think that way. The world is going to **** you sooooo, oh sooo hard.

In filming this episode, I've hit the lowest of my lows. It seemed as if the world was literally, egging me to stop. Now I don't want you to read this as a complaint, it all ends well, I just want to show you in case you did not know.

Let me list some* of the set backs we encountered while filming this last episode. This, in the span of 3 months.

FYI: My cast is open about these issues, so the people I am mentioning here are OK with me telling this, I just won't give out specifics.

1. 2 shooting Cancellations the day of, due to rain. Each time, took 3 weeks to get the cast to be free on the same day again. I call this "making the stars align."

2. One of the main actors, had a trial pending, and because of the cancellations, we ran into his trial date, and he was sentenced to 3 months in jail... In the middle of shooting the episode. Yup.

He had a week to turn himself in, I had to rewrite the script and isolate him in new scenes to make it all work together, and get all this done in that week.

3. Did I mention I had no Camera man for any extra days outside of the budget which I had already spent by now. Yeah. Had to get a new camera guy and convince him to work for free, in that week.

A. In case you were wondering. Yes, I even put up a Craigslist
ad. Oh man, some of those replies were just scary. A young man I met at a movie premiere helped me out.

4. Two cast members got into a fight, on set. A black eye on one of them, made continuity a problem. We did what we could. But ultimately, another reschedule.

A. I cried on set shortly before this happened. In front of
everyone. The pressure is just so intense, and it feels like no
one is helping me. I fired everyone that day, pretty much.
Luckily, the crew and cast sees all I do, and understood my
frustration. And, helps that people want to work with me, so
we continued working.

5. In the gun trading scene filmed in New York City, cops were called on us. Various people reported arms trading, or home invasion worries thinking the weapons were real (You see how ridiculous I'm dressed in the episode? And we had a camera. Why would anyone call the cops? They saw us filming ALL DAY! But I digress).

I am not exaggerating when I say, my good sirs and ma'ams, about 10-13 cops showed up, weapons drawn. I had a handful of guns pointed at me. I literally felt myself being shot. 3 of us went to jail that day.

A. Scratched on jail walls of the downtown jail I was in, while I
looked for a sign I read one: "Just let me win."

6. So, my budget exhausted and I'm wasting my own. I have no rent money now, no food money, I gave this ****ing episode everything.

So then I get depressed, the lowest I've ever been. I just could not believe that the universe was trying to stop me. Everything I do is so ****ing, from the heart, my intentions are so pure, I work so hard at this, this is not some **** I just do, and yeah that's a lot of commas, but I write, edit, act in, plan, score, make songs for, direct, subtitle, buy props for and promote the things I do ALONE. ALL OF THEM! This is not a project with 100, or 50, or even 10 people working on it where I can disassociate myself a bit from it. You're feeling me, ALL OF ME. You are seeing me NAKED when I give this, and it gets SHUT DOWN!

I am PERSONALLY being rejected.

Stay with me here... It works out. :mpopcorn:

While depressed I gave up, I quit, if the universe doesn't want this, then there is nothing else in me to give, so I might as well give up, I can't battle the universe. That **** put me in rock bottom.

I woke up crying some days, because I had no reason to get up. I didn't care about food, I didn't care about anything. Water made me nauseous, nothing felt good anymore, can't even get a hard on, I don't care, anymore.

I am not sure if I believe in God, but I believe in something, and I told that something this: "If you won't let me do this thing I feel inside, then why put me here? End this for me... I can't live if I don't do this. There is no point. Everything is missing, if this is missing."

A funny thing happened there for me.

I realized this... I can't live if I can't create. I have no choice.

Just like that, it's like, the fog cleared up for me.

I don't have to ponder if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm doing it the right way, or even if I will ever sell anything significant. The point is, I simply have no choice. It's this, or lock myself in a room until my heart stops, and while I have the option of being even remotely close to being able to create ANYTHING, then as hard as it is, I have to do it if I want to keep living.

This is so clear to me. I love this, and because of that, this will give me the lowest of lows, but I also know that there isn't a drug out there that makes me feel as high as this does when it goes RIGHT. That said, I hope you needed to hear that, because when I told it to myself, it gave me renewed strength, and cleared my mind up to do what it is I HAVE to do. Create.

So, without any further delay, here is my latest offering, a subtitled one at that. And it does not matter if it's any good, it just matters that I did it, and my goal should simply be to keep doing it better than last time. Ultimately, it's about bettering myself.

EPISODE 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqcQJ4_IUHc
(Brenda's rescue - subtitled) (My favorite)

Keep at it man. Sounds like indie film, in a nutshell. Been down many of those roads! Yup, cops, guns drawn, all that.

Keep at it man. Sounds like indie film, in a nutshell. Been down many of those roads! Yup, cops, guns drawn, all that.

Thank you! You know, i've been hearing that I guess this is the norm... I did not grow up around this, I did not go to school for this, all i know is from google and examining TV and trying to understand. To me this is ALL NEW.

If anything then, maybe this is for those people, whom like me, are not exposed to this in their lives and don't know the ropes... It is a steep curve when you dont have a mentor, or when you have not seen it first hand... So this is encouragement for those like me, who feel like giving up. This is what it is. Dive into it, and enjoy the pain, the reward is always worth it if you make it through.

The struggle is real. Stay safe out there. Indie filmmakers have lost their lives by playing with guns in public. Congrats on finishing the film!

I have had almost all of those things happen to me; guns
drawn by cops, arrested and time in jail included. Got kicked
out of my apartment due to complaints from neighbors and
another because I couldn't pay rent because I spent my last
dollar on a shoot day.

I understand your struggle.

Why not get a job on the side, to use as a cash cow? That would help you immensely, and, yes, it's a lot of work, but hard work never killed anyone. :)

Why not get a job on the side, to use as a cash cow? That would help you immensely, and, yes, it's a lot of work, but hard work never killed anyone. :)

I start a new gig Wednesday and dreading it. It's not the work that kills me however, I remember why i left my last job... And I'm sure this happens to all of us, but I have a lower tolerance for this...

Being at one place, wishing you were in another... I had a real good job, traveled the world, free car, good money... Every second I was working, or stuck in a plane and my laptop runs out a battery, or those long drives when I did not want to fly... All those times just stabbing me like a knife... " I'm wasting time... This is not where I should be, this is not what I need to be doing, I'm wasting my time. "

Every second. Stab, stab. I could be writing. I could be filming. I could be editing. I could be... and I'm not.

It does not leave.

I don't care about the work. I believe me to be good at anything I put my focus on, it's about my mind or my core telling me "This is not you."

I'll go ahead and start Wednesday, to pay rent, then keep it moving. I just need the bare minimum so that I can continue creating. I don't care about anything else, and I don't believe anyone should spend their lives doing the wrong things (for them).

I am not telling anyone to follow my footsteps. I don't have a family and therefor I can take more chances, as they only affect me, and I'm willing to pay that price. I'm all in. Let's go!

Last edited:
I start a new gig Wednesday and dreading it. It's not the work that kills me however, I remember why i left my last job... And I'm sure this happens to all of us, but I have a lower tolerance for this...

Being at one place, wishing you were in another... I had a real good job, traveled the world, free car, good money... Every second I was working, or stuck in a plane and my laptop runs out a battery, or those long drives when I did not want to fly... All those times just stabbing me like a knife... " I'm wasting time... This is not where I should be, this is not what I need to be doing, I'm wasting my time. "

Every second. Stab, stab. I could be writing. I could be filming. I could be editing. I could be... and I'm not.

It does not leave.

I don't care about the work. I believe me to be good at anything I put my focus on, it's about my mind or my core telling me "This is not you."

I'll go ahead and start Wednesday, to pay rent, then keep it moving. I just need the bare minimum so that I can continue creating. I don't care about anything else, and I don't believe anyone should spend their lives doing the wrong things (for them).

I am not telling anyone to follow my footsteps. I don't have a family and therefor I can take more chances, as they only affect me, and I'm willing to pay that price. I'm all in. Let's go!

You are literally describing exactly what I feel. This is exactly me. It's an illness but this is word-for-word what I go through every day.

I'm shooting a feature next year, will pile in every penny I have and go for it. It's going to be really, really tough but hell, I've been arrested before. In Mexico.

Personally, I think a film about a low budget indie film would be amazing but no-one would believe it.

What if got a police radio scanner (one that actually picks up real police bands), so that next time, you can hear if the cops are coming and then put the guns away before they get there hopefully?

What if got a police radio scanner (one that actually picks up real police bands), so that next time, you can hear if the cops are coming and then put the guns away before they get there hopefully?

Dude I really just don't want to make that mistake again. Having cops point guns at you in THESE times is not the thing to do.

At the precinct at the initial detective part or whatever, they informed me that the building I was filming in is a known drug building where trespassing is a felony crime. We knew someone that lives in that building so that charge was never imposed.

What did I do after I got out? Went back there and finished the scene... (No guns this time)

I was in the building for literally 3 minutes, just to get the part of me walking out with a duffle bag, and even if it looks bad, its NOT ILLEGAL. And it only looks bad in peoples heads who only think about crime.

As soon as we yelled cut, a cop car pulled up, and went into where we were filming. Just two of them this time. And stayed there guarding the entrance.

It's just so crazy and sad at the same time, on many levels. There is a great injustice going on in the world, I can see how in THAT particular neighborhood, it is pretty much impossible to NOT have a record of some kind, even while not doing anything illegal. Then when you get booked they give you probation, so you take it just not to deal with court, FOR NO REASON, now you have a record, and a reason to go to jail if you even do the slightest thing.

Can you imagine going into the wrong building by mistake and getting hit with a criminal trespassing charge just because you are in a hot neighborhood?

Imagine you are going to your friends house, are lost, go in the wrong place, have a little bag of weed on you, now you are committing a crime while committing a felony (trespassing).... And get the book thrown at you? That's just fucked up man.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the shoot. I actually was wrong because of the guns the first time so I'm not complaining, I just realized ho messed up the system is in some parts. Odds are seriously stacked against people who live in these places.

Back