Advice on finding actors, directors etc for indie short

I have a short horror script that I am looking to get produced - I have begun approaching sponsors etc, but that aside, I have no real idea how I can begin getting a crew together, actors and so on, or even simply chatting things through with prospective actors etc.

I am UK based, near London.

Has anybody got any advice, or tips, have put myself on mandy.com for a month, but funds being limited, I am not going to be able to carry on once the free trial runs out.

Cheers

Dan

At first yes, as there is currently no money. But, I am obviously a long way off starting any kind of filming work, so would initially entail building a crew and so on. So not on set work etc. If that makes sense?

Hi Daniel and welcome to indietalk.
At first yes, as there is currently no money. But, I am obviously a long way off starting any kind of filming work, so would initially entail building a crew and so on. So not on set work etc. If that makes sense?
I don't follow. Why do you need build a crew without any kind
of filming work? If there is no on set work for the crew what
will they do?

directorik

to find a director, and actors to begin talking things through with. I am meaning this as in a crew, obviously I do not need a crew as such, as you correctly point out there is no filming to do yet.

hopefully your plan is not assembling a group of people to daydream
you need a plan of action to make your film a reality

often directors or actors are attached to a project in an attempt to secure funding.
but they don't really do anything except have their name attached as you pitch the concept to producers / investors

Don't waste the actors' time if you are not ready to shoot. You don't want to be known as a flake. They will definitely ask the rate and schedule. You will seem flighty if you say it is too early to answer that and you are looking to cast anyway.

As far a finding a director, you may want to direct it yourself. Have you considered this?

sfoster

Yeah I get that... another thing I am looking at sorting, but without any experience.

I have approached one investor, and have a meeting with another agreed, just awaiting for him to return from overseas.

I suppose I am trying to kickstart this, offer things etc with no real idea of how I go about doing this.

Would you suggest investors and producers first? As such, where would I approach producers for such a project?

I really appreciate you commenting on this.

indietalk

yes, I spoke with one director who believed I had such a strong concept and view for the script that I should do this (direct), but my experience in this area is beyond limited. I have conceived and storyboarded sports promo videos, but never got behind the camera as such, so would prefer at this stage to work with a director and then use what experience i have during the editing process.

Thanks for the tip on the actors, I will hang fire on that side of things then.

Thanks for commenting.

Dan

Perhaps your best move it to make some short films to familiarize yourself with directing, this will also let you network with cast and crew for the larger project.

What connection do you want with the screenplay? The director will have the creative vision so what do you want your part to be? Producing it? Or you could sell the screenplay, etc.

yes, I spoke with one director who believed I had such a strong concept and view for the script that I should do this

This sounds like a nice way of saying he wouldn't want to be micromanaged
directors want to have their own vision, they don't want to execute someone else's vision

if you have a strong vision and a script then you should consider directing it yourself.

it's not easy to get funding.. is there a business plan for this film to get back the money invested?
most short films don't make money so I have to assume this is a feature length film

can you really convince people that it's a smart investment and very unlikely they will lose their money?

SFOSTER AND INDIETALK

Yes I did think he was saying that, or intimating that, but he had only read the script, so he garnered an opinion from that. I would not want to micromanage a director, but would like to have initial discussions and so on.

It is a short film, so it would purely be a vanity project for investors, so I would have to work out screenings and so on as a package for them to 'lose' their money on, but feel they are getting something from it. I have backed sporting events and overseas tours up in a similar way through social media, and press coverage, although the sponsors/investors know they are not likely to regain any of their money, they gain advertising and kudos etc through this, so I would look to build something similar for the film.

As the piece is only a short I do not think there would be much of a market to sell it to.

Not sure what initial talks you would want to have. You would need to relinquish creative control, period. If you want to have it, direct it, period. Do you know what a first-time director is? It means what it sounds like. Get over the fear, and just do it. :)

indietalk

ha ha yes, not really fear, just no idea, no idea about equipment, cameras, lighting etc and have any idea, other than visually, about editing and the equipment used. I filmed edited when film was film. I was, falsely, by the sound, under the impression that I may be able to find a director who understood the project and liked, not simply took it and did what they want.

I understand better now. Thanks.

To find a director you can check local film schools.
To find actors you can check local drama schools.

Typically you look for actors once you have shoot dates set. You post
an audition notice and interview them to find the right people for the
parts.

One option for you might be to contact local DP's before your Mandy
free trial runs out. Even a beginner cinematographer can help you
with equipment needs so you don't have to know and understand
everything about equipment. Again, a local film school would be a good
place to start.

Back