• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Amateur movie music questions

Hi so I'm shooting my film later this year and have found some cool scores for it, with it being amateur and I won't be making profit from the film (it's just basically for fun) is it legal to use any music I want?

Short answer: No!

Long answer: It's illegal to use copyright protected music for any purpose what-so-ever, profit or non-profit. That said, if you don't show anybody, nobody will ever know, so you can do what you like. But i'm assuming you don't want to do that and you'll upload to YouTube or the like, in which case this is illegal and against YouTube rules. However, are the major studios going to be too bothered about you and your little vidoe? Probably not. The worst that will happen is YouTube will remove it.

Better to play it safe though. Go find some original music for your movie, there's plenty of people out there willing to offer that to you.

Also see http://www.mobygratis.com/film-music.html

this portion of moby.com, 'film music', is for independent and non-profit filmmakers, film students, and anyone in need of free music for their independent, non-profit film, video, or short.
to use the site you log in(or on?) and are then given a password.
you can then listen to the available music and download whatever you want to use in your film or video or short.
the music is free as long as it's being used in a non-commercial or non-profit film, video, or short.
if you want to use it in a commercial film or short then you can apply for an easy license, with any money that's generated being given to the humane society.
i hope that you find what you're looking for,
moby

Back