I have just finised my first script, I think.

I have used that programe Celtx. I don;t know much about script wrighting but I needed some sort of script. used the differnt options like scene's and charictures etc.

Hope I did it ok. It was good fun anway.

Ill try make the film soon.

i like celtx its free and simple i have paid for others but i still use celtx
whats your script about. and if you need someone to write for you i would gladly do it for you

It's good to know the proper format. You may be thinking since you are directing it, it's okay, but you need your actors and crew to understand it. You may want to have someone look it over.

Congrats

I've only used Celtx once or twice myself, mostly so I could put the script into a format my actors can understand. It's a good program, thank god its free!

By the way, I know you said you're using Celtx, I'm just saying make sure you're using it correctly. Take a look at some pro screenplays. You can learn a lot by reading them.

Yeah, reading through published scripts can really help. I'm still far from perfect myself though. I tend to write my scripts in a format that's closer to something you'd see for a stage play than a film.

That's not completely wrong, but it's probably wrong enough.

The film is basicly about a couple who move to a new area and get victumized by chavs (thugs). I keep going back and editing bits, I am looking at some pro ones and some bits seem different.

a couple of things im unsure on at the moment are:

Are you ment to mention every camera shot?
Are the names in the action section suposed to be caps or lower case?
When a scene from a car changes to out of the car is that classed as another scene ? like ext.car.day and then ext.outdoors.day

i think anyway it shall be radable for the cast, it is really good that everyone on here is so helpful.

How many times have you re-written it? If it's less than 5, you have made an excellent start, and congrats, but you aren't done yet.

No, you can put in shots, but not every one

When a scene from a car changes to out of the car is that classed as another scene ? like ext.car.day and then ext.outdoors.day

Yes,
Int. Car Day
Ext. car day

Last edited:
How many times have you re-written it? If it's less than 5, you have made an excellent start, and congrats, but you aren't done yet.

No, you can put in shots, but not every one

Yes,
Int. Car Day
Ext. car day

Thanks for that, I have edited it 3 times now, the last time i have made some major plot changes. It seems to look different every time i read it, im not sure if im making it better, hope so.

I think i have how its all suposed to be in my head, im not sure how clear everyone ellse has their scripts in their head but i kind of play mine like a dvd lol.

I can't stop thinking about it all at work, its overtaking my brain :s

"I have just finised my first script, I think."

Your title is funny, because when you think you're done, you'll read it again and realize you're not. You'll see :lol:

Bibles, I shall ave to invest in that when i have some more dosh. Its ready to be blasted into production, its not perfect but it shall do. This isnt no hollywood picture but im going to give it my best.

i know this is an old thread, but..

I am experiencing this exact thing! -

I can't stop thinking about it all at work, its overtaking my brain :s

it is literally effecting my everyday life. thinking about my film and how i'll make it.
it keeps me up at night!
and i put it in front of doing other stuff. i don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.
its way more enjoyable then anything else i have to do anyway.

its been like this since i first thought of the idea for my script. and now that its getting closer and closer to me actually making the thing, its getting worse!

but i love it.

i know this is an old thread, but..

I am experiencing this exact thing! -

it is literally effecting my everyday life. thinking about my film and how i'll make it.
it keeps me up at night!
and i put it in front of doing other stuff. i don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing.
its way more enjoyable then anything else i have to do anyway.

its been like this since i first thought of the idea for my script. and now that its getting closer and closer to me actually making the thing, its getting worse!

but i love it.

I see what you are saying, I am also in a relationship so it kind of effects that too, I finished the project that I was doing, but now I have other screenplay ideas which I cant stop thinking about.

But to be honest when I feel that I am not thinking of the "film ideas" or scripts as much as before, I am worried, I do not want to loose interest or the inspiration of doing film production.

I hope the interest for me never goes away.

I see what you are saying, I am also in a relationship so it kind of effects that too, I finished the project that I was doing, but now I have other screenplay ideas which I cant stop thinking about.

But to be honest when I feel that I am not thinking of the "film ideas" or scripts as much as before, I am worried, I do not want to loose interest or the inspiration of doing film production.

I hope the interest for me never goes away.
At the end of the day you have to ask yourself what is more important. If you're in a relationship and you're worried about it affecting that, talk to the person you're with. If you let them know how much film is a part of your life I'm sure they'll accept it.
I talked about my ambitions to my girlfriend and she accepted it said whe never wanted to take that away from me. Just like I wouldn't want to get in the way of her dreams.

We have used Celtx a few times now. It's a great small tool, mainly because you can put together the script, story board, character definitions, actor details... all that and taking less space than the smallest MSWord file.
It also speeds up the writing as you don't have to bother about the format or character names so much.

On writing the first script, even if it's short, it's true what everyone says about scripts: rewrite, rewrite, and when you think you are done then rewrite.
A bad script always ends on a crap movie.

One thing that helps a lot is the knowledge of editing techniques and camera techniques at the time of writing a script. As you said, you write more theatrically, and that's probably because of your background. I had the very same experience. Then the first time we were filming a short we discovered that we didn't have to limit ourselves so much!

Also allow other people to read it, don't take in all the comments but listen to everyone. If people don't understand something (like why is the character acting like that) then people will be confused when watching the film too, and if I am confused I stop watching.

It's great that you finish what you started, now push and try to make it happen, but remember it won't look the same as you pictured it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong, on the contrary, it means that it has a life on its own.

Back