• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help - Having issue with the flow of the story.

So guys I and my team have been working on a horror story. Mid way through the story a point comes where it takes 500+ days for a major event to take place in the story (Climax).
The real problem comes now - Since it being a horror we have to show the horror taking place in the protagonists life as well as cover the 500 days. So my concern is how do we move forward and make it intriguing ?

Earlier in the story you can use flash forwards to the 500 day period.
Little glimpses here and there to keep the audience in suspense and then when the storyline catches up with the flash forwards you've already laid all the ground work for the 500 day period and have already shown the audience different days from that period.

---

Another option is to skip to 500 days later and then have someone recounting the story using a narrative voice over while you show certain scenes. A narrative voice over is perhaps the most concise way to reorient your viewer with information.

---

Lastly as a horror film I think your first consideration should be if there are any really cool scenes that take place during those 500 days. Something scary and suspenseful that could add to your film and then work your narrative around the cool scene. That's what a lot of horror films do.

So guys I and my team have been working on a horror story. Mid way through the story a point comes where it takes 500+ days for a major event to take place in the story (Climax).
The real problem comes now - Since it being a horror we have to show the horror taking place in the protagonists life as well as cover the 500 days. So my concern is how do we move forward and make it intriguing ?

Just really simplify the approach for yourself by thinking about what is the most important aspect of these 500 days. If it's "After 500 days, we had no food left and half of our group had starved," then the most important aspect there is the RESULT, the consequence of those 500 days. In that case, I would flash forward and have a title come up, "500 days later," and show the characters as starving and emaciated.

Now, if this scenario is more like: "we fought off hoards of demons for 500 days straight," well then, you will need to show these battles and the non-stop struggle in a montage, or series of important scenes, because the most important thing here is the battles and struggles they faced DURING the 500 days.

Just think about what inspires you the most out of the "500 day," context. Is the experience during those 500 days, or the result AFTER the 500 days? And like the member said in a reply above, use flashbacks, or flashforwards, OR use a title that pops up and just skip the 500 days and have a character explain what has happened, or just SHOW what has happened.

Just think about what is important for your story, and how to show it on screen without showing the audience too much, or boring them. Show the juicy bits, and have it presented in appropriate moments.

Have you considered starting with the ending? Once of those endings where you start the scene but don't end it, then you go to the beginning of the story per normal and when you reach the end the scene repeats, but finishes. This tactic can uphold interest because they are anticipating the actual ending because they were teased. Every scene before that plays into it. It is often accompanied by narration, but also can be done with titles (dates) so the audience knows you just cut to an earlier time.

Back