Great Movie Adaptations!

What are some of your favorite movie adaptations of books or shows? (I think no comic books) For me, it's Because of Winn-Dixie. Perhaps that one's even better than the book!
And is there a book or show that you think would make an awesome movie? I still don't know why nobody has done Leviathan. Can't you just see that being a massive budget epic action movie?
Anyways, give me your thoughts!

True Blood is one of the only things I've ever seen that was actually better than the book. They expanded the characters, storyline, everything.

Usually movies cut a lot of stuff out and make it worse but the true blood books were very small and just a skeleton to begin with

The Silence Of The Lambs (1991)

Carrie (1976)

To Kill A Mocking Bird (1962)

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Children Of Men (2006)

Babe (1995)

Schindler’s List (1993)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Harry Potter Series

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Contact (1997)

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Ben-Hur (1959)

Forrest Gump (1994)

The Fountainhead (1949)

Jaws (1975)

The Hunt for Red October (1990)

The Natural (1984)

The African Queen (1951)

Charlie Wilson's War (2007)

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Spirited Away (2001)

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

Mister Roberts (1955)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Wow. What Alcove said. ;) Though I don't care for all of those films. And I haven't read most of those books.

Overall, Blade Runner was probably better than the book.

Sometimes the Harry Potter films are better than the books. They made some choices which tweaked the books for the better.

Haven't read the book, but The Green Mile is a brilliant film.

The Mist. Mostly, at least, better than the book.

Interview with the Vampire is a pretty satisfying adaptation of the book. Beautifully made.

A History of Violence. Haven't read the graphic novel. But the film is really good.

There must be more.

I guess I haven't read a novel that I really loved for a while now.

Hmmm, dipping way back, it's been a long while. But, before there was Harry Potter there was Peter Straub's Shadowland. It even had a white owl. I don't fully trust my memory of it. But I think I recall it being quite cool. Adapt that.

Imajica. Not sure how it should be done, though.

Frank Miller's Ronin. Maybe give it to Matthew Vaughn.

Last edited:
I'd like to make the sword of shannara into a film.
Although apparently it will now become a TV show after all these years.. I read those books when I was ~12 so I don't know for sure if they hold up to my adult tastes or not

My favorite book to film adaption would probably have to be Naked Lunch written by William S Burroughs and turned into a movie by David Cronenberg. The film is as bizarre if not more bizarre than the book its based on. I highly recommend it if you are into surreal movies that you aren't quite sure makes sense.

Good examples! I'll also add in The Shining as a movie I liked better than the book, and Legend of Hell House as one I liked just as much. Through a Scanner Darkly is pretty awesome too. And on the stranger end of things, I'm not sure if I like the movie Kissed or the short story it was based on (We So Seldom Look On Love) better. Oh, and since I'm watching the season finale right now, Game of Thrones is a really solid adaptation.

Things I'd like to see:
After Dark - Harukai Murakami. Not my favorite Murakami, but the one I think would be best suited to a film. Sputnik Sweetheart might work well too.
Charles de Lint's Newford series. I'd really love to see this as a tv show. Short arcs or single episodes for the short stories, longer arcs for the novels.
Everything by Neal Stephenson, but in particular Snow Crash (though you'd have to re-work some things, historically speaking) and Reamde would make a fun big budget action movie.

I'd love to watch Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but there's no way it could be done very well. 14 very long books that take place over just a couple years of story time. The main characters start out young as well.

I've read The Lord of The Rings in 1997 and I think the adaptation is very good. It let go of a few things and it added a few things to improve the movie.
Books and movies aren't the same medium, so it's really hard to tell exactly the same story.

I'd like to adapt Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen. I guess that would become a series of at least 10 seasons :P
Or Chine Mieville Street Station Perdido.

I like the book by Umberto Eco, but I haven't read The name of the rose yet. I love the movie, but I can't make a comparisson yet.
All I know is that people thought it was impossible to adapt that book.

Did anyone name Adaptation (with Nicolas Cage) yet?
A very creative way to adapt a book by making a story about a writer trying to adapt it :P

Last edited:
Charlie

The Martian Chronicles

Brave New World

Frankenstein The True Story

The Bourne Identity

The Island Of Lost Souls

The Six Million Dollar Man

And, I agree with Alcove Audio's choices.

Last edited:
Back