Animated Indie Movies

Well, as a beginner animator, I had to ask this question.

When I think of indie flicks, I think of "used with a camera". When I see indie flicks, I see live action.
I very rarely see animated indie flicks. (Only ones I've heard of was "La Re Soleli" and that one movie the guy made on Flash about Romeo and Juliet except they were some type of sea animal, forgot the name of the movie)
I don't know any well known animated indie films as far as I know, and I'm just wondering why? Besides animation being extremely tedious, I mean.

I was actually thinking of doing animated indie films rather then live action, since I've been interested in animation forever. Is it impossible to make a great animated indie film? Is it important for a director to do a live action movie and THEN go on directing animated flicks?

Any thoughts about animated indie films? Why aren't they out there, or more well known, or is it impossible to do an animated indie film? Another thought: would an animated film have different crew and cast (example: would an animator really need a camera man, and would a live action movie need a background artist?), and would an animated film have less crew members? Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm fairly curious.

well animated movie.......and crew camera???? well you dont need cameras.you need 3d softwares and animators buddy..............even i was planning one but was unable because of huge shortage of finances + its hard to find good animators in Pakistan.........though there are great animator but they are linked with AD FILMS etc and Feature film is a different thing...............you will also need great artists to make a very accurate storyboard

Last edited:
well animated movie.......and crew camera???? well you dont need cameras.you need 3d softwares and animators buddy..............even i was planning one but was unable because of huge shortage of finances + its hard to find good animators in Pakistan.........though there are great animator but they are linked with AD FILS etc and Feature film is a different thing...............you will also need great artists to make a very accurate storyboard

Aww! I'm sorry it did not come out well! It may be a tad bit different in my country, though, since I have met a lot of animators and things are easy to obtain now and days (I mean, I can just download a free animation program- maybe not a quality one, but one to play and practice on)

I'm already an artist myself and learning animation so I do not need to worry about drawings, luckily :)

Hey thats good that you have the potential of drawing. I wasnt lucky enough........because my drawing is very poor. the good thing was that i posted a message on www.orkut.com

and i got many replies and many people were interested in working with me via internet and all thats was for free..but i had to stop at the first stage when i saw i was without any artists who can make final and fill fledged story board.

Most of what I have seen has been at festivals, and most have been shorts.

it is not really impossible..............but the 2 important things is that atlest 4 to 5 realy hard working animators are required..........and they should be able to meet regularly on one place in physical form.....secondly we need aperfect storyboard...i mean each and every scene and shot be prepared .........

i believe that i will some day make my indie 3d animated movie.i just got blocekd due to the lack of artists and networking (i mean the internet networking) other wise animators from India and Pakistan contacted me and they were ready to work for free (i told them every one will have an equal share of profit after retaining 40%) ....

i also had the problem of lack of a high system..i have 3d card, 2 rams of 512 each.....2.8 gigaherds Processor but still........it wasnt enough...

but after all i believe in myself.....

me who is standing alone in the darkness with all my griefs and sorrows, where everyone has left me alone even my shadow, my mates have betrayed me, and there is no door opened to life , when death has become better then life....but still i am stubborn to win

i love this quote which is made by myself. when ever there are problem i motivate myself by this.........just read it and feel it :D

Last edited:
Here's a question I've been wondering:

Long ago, from a few people (not on this site, of course), I've heard that an animated movie is "extra brownie points" for film festivals. I doubt that true, but I did hear it from people and, never entering a festival in my entire lifetime, I really just don't know.

And also, is it essential to learn how to use a camera, too? I want to make animated movies the most (animation have been a passion for decades), but I'm learning to do live action, also (IF MY CAMERA WILL GET OUT OF THE STUPID REPAIR SHOP).

And how many animators would you generally need for an animated Indie movie? Since making animation is a bit faster then making them in Walt Disney's time (elimination of the animation camera and cels; not scanning things one by one; etc Thank Goodness for computers!), how many animators would you, in average, need. Can you do all the animation by yourself? (I'm not a good one, so I rather have some assistant in animation...) What else of a crew would you need?

its nearly impossible to make a 3D feature film of your own because 3D animation inclused modeling of charachters, texturing, lighting and movement of characters. One person cannot be an expert of all these things. HE can be good in 2 things but not more then that.... secondly a lot depends upon your movie too. What type of movie you are making . If its ahorror movie you will need expert lightmen. If its a zombie movie then quantity of animater will increase because you will have to show crowds getting turned into zombie. IF its a simple love story then obviouly charchters are less so lees animators will be need. After all that its not only about quanitity of animators but .... computer systems......artists to make final storyboard.......hardworking animators......... these are the things matter. SO first decide what genere you have opted to make a movie. Suppose for 3D clerk (Movie) you need 5 to 8 animators (just suppose) so for an action movie you will need 20 animators (to finish the movie in the same time limit as of CLERKS).

its nearly impossible to make a 3D feature film of your own because 3D animation inclused modeling of charachters, texturing, lighting and movement of characters. One person cannot be an expert of all these things. HE can be good in 2 things but not more then that.... secondly a lot depends upon your movie too. What type of movie you are making . If its ahorror movie you will need expert lightmen. If its a zombie movie then quantity of animater will increase because you will have to show crowds getting turned into zombie. IF its a simple love story then obviouly charchters are less so lees animators will be need. After all that its not only about quanitity of animators but .... computer systems......artists to make final storyboard.......hardworking animators......... these are the things matter. SO first decide what genere you have opted to make a movie. Suppose for 3D clerk (Movie) you need 5 to 8 animators (just suppose) so for an action movie you will need 20 animators (to finish the movie in the same time limit as of CLERKS).

Thanks!
Actually, I was aiming for a 2D animation look...

2d animation. well

I dont have much knwoeldge about 2d animation. But still things remain the same i think except for rendering your animation. I think rendering of 2d animation is more easy and less time consuming than compared to 3D

Back