What music do you listen to?

Steel Panther kicks the ass off the cat! NSFW!!

I should have thought to add in Duran Duran, New Order, The Smiths and Tears for Fears, but they didn't register as 80s to me as they are daily listening rather than revisits.

When I'm writing code for websites or research or whatnot, I tend to put in the Hacker's Soundtrack. Great high energy "Type Faster" music for me.

Fever Ray
Tool
Die Antwoord
A Perfect Circle
Crystal Castles
Nothingface
The Cranberries
Silly Wizard
Rage Against The Machine

Fever Ray
Tool
Die Antwoord
A Perfect Circle
Crystal Castles
Nothingface
The Cranberries
Silly Wizard
Rage Against The Machine

Nice! Never expected to see Silly Wizard mentioned around here! Love them to death; A Glint of Silver is one of my favorite records.

Good to see some more synthpop love around here too. Some of the modern stuff is pretty good (Iris in particular I love), but I do lean towards the older stuff myself. I had a synthpop band a few years ago...was trying for somewhere between Erasure and Fad Gadget, got compared to early Depeche Mode and Visage a lot.

Yeah, music of all flavours is pretty awesome :)

Nice! Never expected to see Silly Wizard mentioned around here! Love them to death; A Glint of Silver is one of my favorite records.

Good to see some more synthpop love around here too. Some of the modern stuff is pretty good (Iris in particular I love), but I do lean towards the older stuff myself. I had a synthpop band a few years ago...was trying for somewhere between Erasure and Fad Gadget, got compared to early Depeche Mode and Visage a lot.

Yeah, music of all flavours is pretty awesome :)

I'm glad to see that someone even knows about Silly Wizard! They are so talented. My favorite song will alway be Donald McGillavry.
If you like synths and folky music, then definitely check out Fever Ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-CpE73o2M

I like a weird/broad range of music, but then I don't know many bands which is sort of paradoxical. So, I always like to hear new names. I'll check out some of those musical groups you just mentioned.

Last edited:
Rammstein, AC/DC, Skrillex, Misc. Dubstep, Sinatra, The Coasters, The Killers... It depends on what I'm doing at the moment.

Checking out Fever Ray right now! The Silly Wizard version of "Wha'll Be King But Cherlie?" is one of my favorite tracks. And Johnny Cunningham is sorely missed. Sadly I never got to see him live (though plenty of old Silly Wizard videos...the duets between him and Phil are astounding; both drunk off their ass and falling out of their seat, but not missing a beat!)

And at the risk of being obnoxiously self-promote-y, if you like synths and trad folk, check out my current band Ghost Estate! http://www.facebook.com/GhostEstate I used to do Celtic music as straight-up techno too, which I enjoyed, but it was a bit odd for most tastes! I think I'm getting a better balance these days.

Addendum after watching some Fever Ray...very Bjork-y, in a good way! Cool stuff, thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Chevelle, Tool, RATM, The Deftones, Explosions in the Sky,Alice in Chains, Dream Theater, Rush, Rise Against, Linkin Park, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, The Beatles, Oasis/Noel Gallagher, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Weezer, The Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Bonobo...as far as I can think of right now.

Wow, it feels good to write it all out even if no one will read it.

Last edited:
I listen to a ton of different styles and artists. If you look at my Pandora channels, you would think that the most diverse group of people was making themselves their own channels. I have Katy Perry, Rihanna, The Script, One Republic, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Jessie J, Showtunes. Lol I listen to so much music that it's almost ridiculous

I like the really indie artists you can pretty much only find in the bowels on youtube.
When I'm really up it's usually Pogo, Baths, Hard Mix, or Gang Gang Dance.
But when I'm more chill I go for Balam Acab, Evenings, Au Palais, Kona Triangle, or Water Borders.
Most people don't like my music. Rather strange.

Richy, I think we're within a couple years of age (I'm 47). I'm just a really strange person in that I grew up listening to movie soundtracks....

Georgio Moroder.

I'm a Lacuna Coil fan too! Saw them at Ozzfest about four years ago.

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Richy, I think we're within a couple years of age (I'm 47). I'm just a really strange person in that I grew up listening to movie soundtracks the way most people listened to the radio. My main collection is movie soundtracks - Williams, Goldsmith, Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Moroder, Silvestri, Herrmann, Horner, Young, Murphy, Jablonsky, etc.

As far as my rock and pop collection, I've gone through 3 main time phases:

80's - Foreigner, Journey, The Cars, Def Leopard, ABC, Duran Duran, New Order, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, etc.

The early 90's Alternative craze (when Columbia House and BMI had those "12 CDs for 1 penny" sales) - Depeche Mode, Nirvana, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, NIN, Crystal Method, Pixies, etc.

After a decade of mostly disinterest, I'm following what my kids are listening to the radio and I find myself listening to "chick pop", like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry (love that girl), Ke$ha and some other stuff that is stupid, yet catchy ear candy. :)

My last CD purchase was a Lacuna Coil disc that had a nice cover of Depeche's "Enjoy the Silence."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA

Speaking of Depeche covers, Rammstein did a pretty cool version of "Stripped."

You have 4 years on me. Very nice. :)

Columbia House and BMI! Remember those?! Gosh. :lol:

Those are cool covers. I especially like that Rammstein cover of "Stipped." And I recently saw that "uncensored" Rammstein video when I was looking for music on Youtube, and I was like, um, this is...unexpected. I suppose that shows what little I know about Rammstein.

Okay, trying to reconstruct the list of music that I especially like and listen to more or less regularly: NIN, Concrete Blonde, Tool, Snow Patrol, The Call, Kings of Leon, Sisters of Mercy, U2, Judas Priest, Radiohead, some Peter Gabriel, some Moby, The Cult, P.J. Harvey (she can get a little bit frustrating to follow, but), Tori Amos, etc.

I've been surprised by how much I like Gregg Allman's album, "Low Country Blues," and have been listening to that a lot. I've also finally bought Andy Taylor's (guitarist from Duran Duran), "Thunder," which is no longer manufactured as far as I know, and I'm very glad to find that it's as cool as I remembered it being.

Also, I have yet to join the MP3 evolution. I suppose I'll have to. I suppose it will open up a whole new world for me etc.

And you know, there are tons more songs that I love from many different artists, though I don't listen to those artists' other stuff so often. Really, what I like to do is make mixes of the songs I love and really like and those mixes are what I listen to very often. Those mixes include a great many more artists than are listed above. Perhaps there should be a thread for favorite personal mixes? =P

I only have about a dozen soundtracks. I wish I had more. Ones I have that I like inlcude, Magnolia, The Center of the World, Lost Highway, Vanilla Sky, Big Night...

Hey, Ghost Estate...I'm liking that.

Last edited:
PassionPulp, that is one obscure list! I haven't heard of any of them, so this evening I'll have to fix that :)

Great list, richy. Speaking of covers and P.J. Harvey, Juliette Lewis' covers in the film Strange Days ("Rid of Me" and "I Can Hardly Wait") absolutely made that film for me!

And you know, there are tons more songs that I love from many different artists, though I don't listen to those artists' other stuff so often. Really, what I like to do is make mixes of the songs I love and really like and those mixes are what I listen to very often. Those mixes include a great many more artists than are listed above. Perhaps there should be a thread for favorite personal mixes? =P

A mix thread would be lots of fun! I was a FIEND for mixtapes back in high school...making, listening, trading. I have a lot of them still, from friends and the few I made for myself. I still do a sort of modern version for my girlfriend occasionally; .mp3s on a flash drive, but limiting myself to 90 minutes. I don't go so far as to mix them into a single .mp3, but I do include a tracklist with notes. It's particularly silly because we live together. Of course, the REALLY modern version is this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/thumb-drives-storage/9bd7/

My crowning achievement was when a really good friend was moving to Utah. She asked for a copy of a Kate Bush album I had and gave me a blank tape. I did that (with of course other Kate Bush tracks to fill the remaining space). I also made three different themed mixes. I drew cover art for all of them. I made a little booklet with detailed tracklisting for all four tapes and random pictures throughout. I then made a box to hold all four tapes and the book, pictures on all sides of course. Oh, and the spines of the tapes, when lined, up made a picture too. I hope she still has that!

Hey, Ghost Estate...I'm liking that.

Thanks for listening :D

Back