Appropriate Filter

Hey again. Thanks so much to everyone for helping me out in my other question about loading film. I'm begginning a class on 16mm photography, but it's still a couple of months away. So to keep myself busy (and interested), I'll rely on you guys! So, of the few things I do understand about shooting 16 and lighting scenes (indoor, outdoor), light metering and color temperature, I have a question or two about the filters used to balance and correct the look that certain forms of lighting create on the film used. Now my first question is whether or not every different kind of film has a guide to an exact filter that can be used for a whatever kind of lighting one chooses to use, printed maybe on the box of the film? I'm almost positive I've read something about it on the kodak site, but once again Almost positive. My second question is how much could one just "wing it" with lighting and not even use a filter of any sort (say, more for indoor shooting with flourescent banks and/or the occassional more high powered tungsten light)? Is it something that can be totally fixed during film transfer or post prod. color correction? Haha, as you can see, I really don't know much about this sort of thing, so forgive my misused terms and whatnot. Hope someone can help!

I think you should probably do some reading...

http://www.aeimages.com/learn/color-correction.html - Color Temperature and Color Correction in Photography
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/fieldGuide.jhtml?id=0.1.4.53.24&lc=en - Kodak Cinematographer's Field Guide

Filter info:

Conversion Filters for Color Films:

Color films are balanced for specific light sources. Using a color film with an incompatible light source requires a filter to adapt the film to the color of the light source. For example, exposing daylight balanced film under tungsten light will yield an image with a warm "yellow" cast. By using an 80A (blue) filter you can convert the film to the light source and get acceptable color balance. Conversely, using tungsten balanced film in daylight yields a cold "blue" cast. By using an 85B (orange) filter you can convert the film to the light source and get acceptable color balance.

You can use the following guide to convert films for use with different light sources.

80A (blue): filter factor is 4x or 2 stops. Use to convert daylight type films for use with tungsten 3200 K lamps - for slides or prints.

85B (orange): filter factor is 1.5x or 3/4 stop. Use to convert tungsten 3200 K films for daylight use.

Color Compensation Filters When Using Ordinary Flourescent Lights

These filters will help correct color rendition when shooting under flourescent lights. Without compensation filters, daylight balanced films will take on a greenish cast, and tungsten balanced films will have a bluish cast when exposed under flourescent lights. Warm white or cool white bulbs are the most common examples of institutional flourescent lamps. Use the following filter/exposure guide as a starting point when shooting under flourescent light.

Warm white type ( bulbs have a subtle pink-purple tint ):

Use 40 magenta & 20 cyan when shooting daylight film. Filter factor is 2x or 1stop.

Use 50 magenta & 40 yellow when shooting tungsten film. Filter factor is 2x or 1 stop.

Cool white type (bulbs have a subtle blue-green tint ):

Use 40 magenta & 10 yellow when shooting daylight film. Filter factor is 2x or 1 stop.

Use 60 red when shooting tungsten film. Filter factor is 2.5x or 1&1/3 stop.

Might want to make sure what kinda film you're using. Is it balanced to 3200K, 5600K? I don't think you want to use an 85B on 5600K film if you're shooting outdoors... unless you like the orange look :)

Back