• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New PC to continue animations

Hey everyone I'm a Blender user (animation/modelling programme), you can check all the work I've done on it (most of it anyway) on artstation.com/alanmartinpower.

Well anyway I'll just say it I need funding for a new PC because my decade old one is not working and I cannot do any Blender-ing ?

So I have a gofundme here: https://www.gofundme.com/alanmartinpower

So if you could pledge that would be fantastic and also if you have any recommendations with what I should do in terms of getting a new machine, what I should look out for or how I can improve my campaign, anything will help. You know as always C&C welcome ?❤️

Seriouly, I was in the same boat with a 10 year old and a 20 year old computer that needed replacing for obvious reasons. I had to put the new rig together in pieces over the last couple of years. If you think you can get money to buy a computer with other people's money, chances are you will never get enough money for a new computer.

Well, even in Dublin 'jobs won't come by'.

I have no idea where you live, what your skills are or what job you are looking for, but you don't seem very anxious to find one.

Jobs in the USA take months to years to find. The ones who find them are persistent. You will find a job sooner than you will be able to get other people's money to buy one. You give up too easy.

I keep saying to you I have looked for a very long time for a job and still look but in the meantime I'm doing this. And I have no idea it's like in the US but I live in Ireland a very different country and for anybody who supports me I will be grateful to them and will do something for them such as create something for them.
Saying to just get a job is easier said then done. If you don't want to help that's fine but don't be saying I don't want to look for a job I would thankful for a job I don't like being unemployed.

I would never pledge to a campaign to raise money for a PC (or any specifically priced item) where you get to keep the funds if the goal is not reached. You need so much $ for a PC. I donate $20. No one else donates. You buy lunch.

Good luck.

Hope you find work and get your PC.

Now I've done crowdfunding before and have showed that I do keep my promises and work on what I said I do. If I were to just keep the money for myself and buy something else then I can never crowdfund again I'd be blacklisted.

Now I've done crowdfunding before and have showed that I do keep my promises and work on what I said I do. If I were to just keep the money for myself and buy something else then I can never crowdfund again I'd be blacklisted.

With all due respect, I don't see how this could possibly result in a new computer... common sense sorta dictates that this isn't really how crowdfunding works, exactly. Let me ask, have you successfully crowdfunded anything in the past? If so, what was it?

I'm also someone of limited means, and someone who's really struggled (in more ways than one). With that said, I think the other people here are giving you solid advice, and in one way or another, trying to say the same thing as me... there isn't any logical reason for people to give you money for something you really should earn yourself.

I know how hard it can be to find a job. I was REALLY struggling about 10 years ago, so I moved 2,467 miles (across an ocean) to a place with a better job market. Financially, spiritually, and emotionally, it was the best decision I ever made. I know it can seem daunting, frustrating, and overwhelming when you are without options... but sometimes you have to make big sacrifices and take even bigger risks.

There's a saying that goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". So, you don't have a job? Make one... charge for services of some kind. If you can't do anything of value, then learn a skill that is valuable. Unfortunately, at our level, "the arts" really aren't as valuable to the rest of the world as we'd like them to be, and that's why most people have day jobs. If you really want to make your dreams a reality in the arts, it's (IMO) necessary to have a steady stream of income FIRST. If not, you're really doing yourself a disservice and essentially playing the lottery.

If you're really convinced that crowdfunding is the way to achieve your goal, maybe you should look at what makes other campaigns successful, and emulate them? Like Mussonman said in his post, where is the incentive for the people giving you money? People don't really just give away hard earned funds to a stranger, on the promise of a dream... not in this day and age. It would seem to me, that you need to create something AMAZING first, and then entice people with that. Offer something exciting, real, and concrete as proof that you are worth donating to. It's almost like you're trying to catch a fish without any bait. :huh:

Last edited:
Yes I crowdfunded before and made a feature animation here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alanmartinpower/animated-feature-film-deep-meaning
;
If no one wants to give me anything that's fine but saying I give up too easy while I still try hard it's something not nice to say.

I did have a job and that was my animations and film but now I that I don't have a pc I can't do anything.

What I'm giving away now is a free link to stream my feature and the promise to return the favour by creating something for them. It's a promise and if I don't do it I look bad.

I did have a job and that was my animations and film but now I that I don't have a pc I can't do anything.

Do you know your cost of doing business?
If that was your job but your computer broke down with no money to replaceit, you didn't really make (enough) money with it.
Make sure you know your numbers, otherwise you'll be in the same situation again and again.

Have you considered sales work at a local store? Maybe a job in a consumer electronics store? You may end up getting an employee discount for a new computer to that way. Years ago, I worked with a professional photographer in the camera department of a department store who wasn't making enough money in his photography business where he needed supplementary income to keep going.

Back