• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help! My screenplay is unfunny. How can I write a good punchline with this screenplay

Hey, gals and guys! For my graduation ceremony, I wrote a screenplay for a short movie. I have shown it, my teacher, already. But he and the other students of my class mean, “That’s unfunny!”. This is a big problem because it shall be funny. Well, I want to ask you if you like to help me. It has to be comedy one! However, comedy isn’t my genre. How can I create a funnier screenplay by this one? Here is the screenplay: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4lcq9e1299qdz2/Sparetire- Titanic.pdf?dl=0

P.S.: Sparetire: a mix of "spare" and "satire". But I also need a better title.

large.jpg

First, congrats! You wrote a movie!!! :D

Second, I'll admit that I didn't get it the first time reading it, so I read it out loud the second time and it made more sense. I think that if this was a piece you were directing, you could get the humor to come through. As for writing humor, I'm afraid I'm not much help there, I do action. But good job on getting something written!

@El Director Yes! This time I’m directing because it’s my project! But there is the problem. I have to hire some of my classmates. And for them, it must be clear to see in their mind. You know.

@Feutus Lapdance If I would make a storyboard, I’ll waste my time. You can explain and explain it. They still don’t check it. They must have it in details plus a punchline. Really. Dumb. I know.

Crunchy potato chip commercial. No time machine needed (unless you insist).

Ship is headed for iceberg in fog. Captain opens a bags of chips... first mate distracts the captain to steal a chip, captain is wise to him and tries to grab it, veering off track in the process (averting disaster/iceberg that was in the fog). With a look of relief they "food cheers" the chips and bite... the crunch is so loud an iceberg breaks directly into their path as the scream... the end.

And mention the IndieTalk Community as well: there are many supportive people in here.

If I ever win an Oscar: this server is going to explode right after my speech ;)

Tell the other students in your class to go fuck themselves :)
If comedy is not your genre, first you are in a good way imo and second don't write comedy.

Back