Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Pre-Production

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #16
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,898
haha
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
harmonica44
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 6,661
On a sidenote, is it possible to buy a prop gun that is fake, and you actually open the chamber, and put a prop bullet in the chamber, but it all looks real? Any prop guns that can do that?
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #18
shortboy
Basic Member
 
shortboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 268
If all you want is the bullet popping out of the chamber, you're better off using After Effects just to add it in.

If you're looking for more real looking guns, there are blowback airsoft guns, but as said they're a bit pricey.
shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Nyati
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 76
Why you work from the finest detail outward on these projects is beyond me. You are setting up road block excuses to make sure you never embark on a project.

So we wont hear the excuse "Well, I couldn't get the pistol chambering scene exactly right with real looking bullets, so I decided not to waste money on doing the rest of the script."

Tell you what, if you film something, and you need a pistol chambering scene, that looks 100% real, with real looking scary bullets, I'll film the scene for you for no charge and send it to you.

Any pistol, you name it. I'll film it for you.

There, now you don't have any excuses not to move forward on this project.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyati View Post
Why you work from the finest detail outward on these projects is beyond me. You are setting up road block excuses to make sure you never embark on a project.

So we wont hear the excuse "Well, I couldn't get the pistol chambering scene exactly right with real looking bullets, so I decided not to waste money on doing the rest of the script."

Tell you what, if you film something, and you need a pistol chambering scene, that looks 100% real, with real looking scary bullets, I'll film the scene for you for no charge and send it to you.

Any pistol, you name it. I'll film it for you.
Total bikeshedding! https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyati View Post
There, now you don't have any excuses not to move forward on this project.
He'll find one. We had gun, and as predicted, we went to bullet. Ponies are next!
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Nyati
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 76
I just wanted to see what excuse he was going to come up with.

The lighting won't be right

What if you do it right handed and the shooter is left handed

What if the gun doesn't look exactly like the prop gun

What if ....

Ponies. Goddam ponies always gettin in my bikeshed.

Last edited by Nyati; 02-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
El Director
Basic Member
 
El Director's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spokane Valley, WA
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
On a sidenote, is it possible to buy a prop gun that is fake, and you actually open the chamber, and put a prop bullet in the chamber, but it all looks real? Any prop guns that can do that?
You don't load firearms that way. You fill the magazine (which does release on this airsoft model) and slap the magazine into the handle. The only thing coming out of the chamber is the brass casing after the bullet is fired, which can be done digitally. I show how in my VFX course, Indie Rebel
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
Nyati
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
On a sidenote, is it possible to buy a prop gun that is fake, and you actually open the chamber, and put a prop bullet in the chamber, but it all looks real? Any prop guns that can do that?
I have seen these in pawn shops around Texas. Used, in rough condition, but very realistic looking. Most of them will chamber a round properly. Some of them need some oil and some help. Some do jam easily.

But, what color brass? I mean, would Nickle plated brass be best? Even these aluminum casings that are kind of rare? What about fresh new from the factory shiny golden brass! But what if the character was poor and could not afford to buy ammo very often. He would be using older ammo that would likely be tarnished from age and handling. There are even steel casings that come from eastern bloc countries? What would be proper?

Is the character poor or rich? A firearms professional or a novice? Did he pick it up out of his collection or buy it from the same guy he gets his pills from?

These are some additional thoughts (excuses) you should ponder (use) in order to (not) make your film.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,898
He doesn't need to worry about that because he literately said, it only needs to be shown in a drawer. This is where my point of wasting time of those giving answers here applies again. He is asking because he just "wants to know." Next, it will be about actually firing, then, blood, then... and he has no plans for any of it.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #25
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Well mainly a guy finds the gun like in a drawer, or something like that. For a still shot in the drawer, will it pass? If not, then maybe I should get one from somewhere else?
We answered this so you can get to making your film now. Or is this drawer scene now a massacre?

I'm not kidding, we're getting to ponies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_little_pony_gun.jpg (56.0 KB, 21 views)
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #26
Nyati
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 76
I was just helping him plan his bikeshed. Just bogging him down with more unrealistic questions and options.

Based on his post, he doesn't even know where or how the gun will be used/discovered/shown or even exist in the possible scene of his nonexistent script.

Plus, I like firearms. Finally, a topic here where I am not a complete novice.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #27
harmonica44
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboy View Post
If all you want is the bullet popping out of the chamber, you're better off using After Effects just to add it in.

If you're looking for more real looking guns, there are blowback airsoft guns, but as said they're a bit pricey.

But I want a scene of the actor, actually putting the bullet INTO the chamber. Not a bullet popping out. In after effects, the actor cannot actually physically take the bullet in his fingers, and insert it into the gun. That's the problem.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
shortboy
Basic Member
 
shortboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
But I want a scene of the actor, actually putting the bullet INTO the chamber. Not a bullet popping out. In after effects, the actor cannot actually physically take the bullet in his fingers, and insert it into the gun. That's the problem.
As El Director said, that's NOT how you put a bullet in a gun. Bullet's go into the magazine and then placed into the gun itself. With the slide already pushed back is how you see the bullet going into the chamber.


Last edited by shortboy; 02-19-2017 at 03:50 PM.
shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
harmonica44
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboy View Post
As El Director said, that's NOT how you put a bullet in a gun. Bullet's go into the magazine and then placed into the gun itself. And then you RACK the slide of gun in order for the bullet to be in the chamber.

Yes I understand that, but in my story, the guy is opening the chamber to look inside and see if there is a bullet in it., once he finds it in the drawer. So is there a prop gun that can actually reveal a bullet in the chamber, that I can buy? The ones on shorty USA, cannot do that, but is there ones that can, where you can open the chamber to check if there is a bullet?

Also even if have the character check the magazine instead, those guns on that website, do not have magazines, with bullets sticking out on top. So are there prop guns I could get with realistic looking magazines, with a bullet sticking out the top, that loads in?

Last edited by harmonica44; 02-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #30
Nyati
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
Yes I understand that, but in my story, the guy is opening the chamber to look inside and see if there is a bullet in it., once he finds it in the drawer. So is there a prop gun that can actually reveal a bullet in the chamber, that I can buy? The ones on shorty USA, cannot do that, but is there ones that can, where you can open the chamber to check if there is a bullet?

Also even if have the character check the magazine instead, those guns on that website, do not have magazines, with bullets sticking out on top. So are there prop guns I could get with realistic looking magazines, with a bullet sticking out the top, that loads in?
Why worry about the size of the bolts that hold the hinge on the door that leads into the closet of the bikeshed when you have no actual plans to build the bikeshed anyway?

You know, you can tell the story of checking to see if the gun is loaded with a different camera angle and a simple sound effect you can use royalty free.

Do you have a script for this? Have you solved the more pressing issues of this production, or are you just test screaming "Wolf!" again?
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk