Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Other

Old 02-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #91
Nyati
Basic Member

I only understand that you were to do a construction sequence because you told us that.

Your film was supposed to tell a story. It did not do a good job telling the story of building the addition. The "Before" and "after" clips don't match well and don't show your audience really what happened. That needs to be fixed or removed. There is a pan and a still. For before and after. Why? Makes no sense.

Hauling off the old office and building the new. I get no sense at all what the new office looks like except a vaccumme cleaner in a hallway and someone tearing down Sheetrock. That sequence was horrible. I don't get it. Why spend so much time on filming a piece of plastic?

Think about it in a logical story telling manner. Remember, just because you know what and why doesn't mean we do. You have to show us as if we have never been there and don't know what happened.

It's not all trash. There was a couple scenes where you faded from old to new. That was ok, the transition took too long. We can get it with a one second blur or fade.

If you have more like that, I'd say use them, if they are good and if they tell a story well.

Last edited by Nyati; 02-06-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 02-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #92
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. When you say there is a pan and a still, which part are you referring to? The concrete on the outside of the building? If it's that part, what I could do, is use a still, both sides, if that's better.

As for the taking apart of the office scene, and adding new parts, do you think it would have been better I had put the camera on a dolly or a glidecam and went through the whole building, and then do a side by side comparison, to make it more specific?

As for showing someone who has never been there before, I don't know if I can do that for everything. I have a lot more footage, but I am not sure if it will still explain everything. But next time maybe I could put it on a glidecam, and move through the entire place, if that is better. Mainly I just wanted to do still shots and video without camera movement, cause I one thing I tried to learn from watching filmmaking tutorials is to tell a story without a lot of camera movement. Especially since I only have a tripod right now, and that's it.

But do you think that maybe a story like this needs movement, to create a sense of geography? Or is it possible to do that without camera movement, still?

As for the before and after clips not matching well and telling enough of what happened, I put the camera in the closest place that I could to get matches. So what is it about the before and after fades, that are hard to comprehend? What if I put in text, explaining the befores and afters and describing what happened? Would that be better? The client wanted text in the original plan anyway, when we discussed it, but I haven't put them in yet, since I was still waiting to here back from him and decide on a final cut. But would it help to put text in, since me and him were going to in the final cut?

Last edited by harmonica44; 02-06-2017 at 07:08 AM.
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #93
Nyati
Basic Member

You are the storyteller. Plan to tell The story. Take the shots you need to tell the story.

Take your footage and put it together to tell the story. If you don't have it, plan better next time.

Please don't ask how. Just figure it out.
Nyati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #94
shortboy
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
do you think it would have been better I had put the camera on a dolly or a glidecam and went through the whole building.
You're equating quality of film to quality of equipment as opposed to quality of filmmaker. All the equipment is useless unless you know how to utilize it.
shortboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #95
mikemintzdj
Basic Member

I think it is a good start. You got some good ideas and I like what you've put together. I see you've gotten a lot of responses so I'll keep my input pretty brief. What I have learned is to get out there and do stuff like this, then compare what you've done against what the pro's have done. The fun part is figuring out what is different and how to do what they did. Give 'em hell kid!
mikemintzdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #96
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. Since dissolving from the before and after, is not enough to register in the viewers mind that it's the same location, from the same angle, but changed construction wise, is there something else I can do besides a dissolve so it will register that it's the same place?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #97
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
............Since dissolving from the before and after, is not enough to register in the viewers mind that it's the same location, from the same angle, but changed construction wise,..............
Is that so?
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #98
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

How ironic that I, of all people, would someday come to the defense of H44. There's way too much negativity in this thread, and I ain't havin' it. Y'all are about to make me proll you again.

Just because somebody asks a question, that doesn't mean you have to answer it. If your only answer involves snark and insults, maybe it's best to step away from your computer.

H44, to address the reason you started this thread, I think the pacing is a bit slow. I think you should cut faster, try to cut on cue with music sometimes, and maybe completely do away with any swipes or dissolves. Keep working on it, you'll get there!
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #99
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. If I get rid of the dissolves though, and just have cuts that might confuse the viewer even more though. Cause a couple of have already said they cannot tell what is before and what is after, so I was using the dissolve, to make them see that. But if I take that away and it just cuts to before and after, would that confuse them more?

What about the color grading? Is it good, or could I improve it?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #100
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
would that confuse them more?
You should add a link to this thread in the video. They'll instantly understand.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #101
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Sweetie what happened to your break?
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #102
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
Sweetie what happened to your break?
I move fast. Holidays move faster. You like my new style of sarcasm, poor humor mixed in with good and bad advice?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #103
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You were missed.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #104
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
You were missed.
I'm always missed. On forums, Zombies, drive by shootings... They always miss me.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #105
shortboy
Basic Member

Is it weird that I got semi anxious when no H44 threads were on top for the past couple of days? I must be insane.
shortboy is online now   Reply With Quote