How can an "anonymous interview" be filmed?

When I say "anonymous interview", I mean one where the interview subject is on screen but their identity is hidden in some way.

I went on "YouTube" earlier, and found instructional videos detailing how to do such a thing. They seem like they may be practical methods to do what i'm inquiring about, however I want to know if there are any other methods to getting the job done other than what was mentioned in the videos.

Here is one of the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUqFuQNghE0

One method that was mentioned more than once, was to sit an interview subject in a dark room in front of a white backdrop that was illuminated with a back light --the term used was to "blow it out" I believe. The only lighting in the room would be on the backdrop, and the result would create a natural shadow/silhouette look for the sitting subject on camera if filmed. A camera placed in front of them to film them would capture them in the desired "anonymous interview" style way. Is that a successful way to do it? Would the camera struggle to capture the desired image in the low lighting? Would the image of the subject look kitch/kamp instead of "anonymous" and the way one would want it to look?

What about having an interview subject sit backward in front of the camera, and having them wear certain clothing items to aid in masking their identity --a non-identifying jacket, hat, or hooded sweatshirt-- and changing the pitch of their voice in "Final Cut Pro"?

Censoring their face manually --pixelating it-- in some post production program along with changing the pitch of their voice in the same type of program?

Having therm wear a mask of some sort, and changing the pitch of their voice in a "Final Cut Pro"?

What other methods can you think of other than the one mentioned in the "YouTube" video posted? Have you filmed an anonymous interview before? What did you do to create that look? What should one do to create that look? Are there other ways to do it besides anything mentioned above? Are they simple/difficult? Time consuming? Quick to do?

I'd film it like a normal interview and then draw a mask around their face in Premier, use the auto tracking feature and just add the blur.

You can see how it's done here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/blur-face-masking-tracking.html

If the interviewee really needs to stay anonymous it is better to do it in camera instead of in post. Imagine some corporate whistle blower or political dissident who is clearly visible in the raw takes and the footage gets stolen.

A motorhelmet with dark glass may not be elegant but it surely helps and already distorts the voice a little bit.

Or if the interviewer likes to be on screen: shoot an over shoulder from the interviewee's perspective. The interviewee is unsharp and you only see a part of the back of the head, while the interviewer gets his moment of fame ;)

Last edited:
Pitch-shifting a voice can have variable results depending on what software you're using. Some pitch shifters do a horrible job. Worth running a quick test before you commit.

Also, that pitch-shifted voice effect can come across as a bit dated/kitsch imo. As an alternative method, a lot of news shows have an actor re-record the dialogue rather than distort the original recording. Though this might not be an option if you're on a very small or no budget...

Haven't tried this method yet but can't you flood the subject with light from behind (to give him/her shape) and then stop down on the camera? I think this would create a dark silhouette that would hide their identity. Then pitch-shift the audio in post.

One trick I've used before, for subjects who don't want the camera pointed at their face at all: Position them outdoors or in a bright spot light and film their shadow.

Back