Starting My Freelance Videography Career, Need Some Advice Please!

Hey guys!

I've been making movies for the past couple years, but I'm finally taking a leap of faith and beginning my journey as a freelance videographer. I've even lowered my hours at work, I'm that committed to this thing.

I've already made a website and have a reel and everything, I just need some quick advice on some good types of businesses or people you guys think I should market towards.

So far I have things like wedding planners, realty companies, local businesses, etc. Just was curious as to your guys thoughts on where would be some good places I could create some legitimate business and start making this a career. Thanks!!!

night crawling? as in night crawlers???!!! haha

um, ok so my advice may not be worth 2 cents because i've always done freelance work about 50/50 with a day job (luckily my day jobs are then specifically part time). this is so i have that something to fall back on when freelance stuff is slow (and vice versa) but here's what i can tell you from my experience: do one thing, get really good at it.

do you wanna make 150 bucks a day as a PA? can you get yourself on either 2-3 short films/month or 1 feature/month? that about does the trick for me, i don't need much more to pay rent, feed myself/cats, and buy beer. of course, you could also be a great AD, or art director, or focus puller. so narrative productions is one way to go. it's very intense, though, and projects can range from totally miserable to i-never-wanna-leave-fun. the miserable ones pay better, though

another, and maybe my personal favorite, PUBLIC ACCESS! not everywhere is fortunate to have the greatness that is public access, but i'm lucky enough to have worked at a few of my local stations. this is a fun job, low pressure, low stress (hs sports games, city council meetings=VERY low stress), and you're either creating helpful content for your immediate community, or your creating fun/goofy content with your immediate community. not to mention, you get to be a jack of all trades, shoot, boom, edit, all of it! downside being often low production values, so you don't get a TON of reel ready content, but it's a fun way to make part of a living (this is generally freelance, public access stations don't generally have large full time staff)

it sounds like what you want to do is create promotional content for local businesses, this is tough, this requires a vast professional social network covering all sorts of fields because i don't know how often local businesses have the opportunity, time, budget and clear reasons to seek out content creators unfortunately. so it's just better to know everybody haha but when these jobs come, they're fun things where you get to be, again, a jack of all trades, and in my experience, these businesses want fun videos, so you do get to be goofy with these, too.

um, what else is there...
-concert videography-get a tricaster, or just email around to concert specific companies. summer is great for this because festivals
-stock-very fun, i do some timelapse on the side, but there is all sorts of stock video and simple animation opportunity (learn AE really well)
-weddings-befriend partner with a wedding photographer or two, you'll help them expand their business offerings, and they'll help you because they're established. (i hate weddings, though, they fall under the miserable shoots in my book)

so yeah, i guess a lot depends on what sort of gear you have/access to, what your background is, what your passion is, but there are a lot of ways to work in specifically video, but yeah, if it's something you want to do full time, as a high level professional, i think it's important to really focus on one thing and hone that skill to entice audiences and clients because there are a lot of options for people when it comes to video production, so you really want to stand out. but there's a lot of fun ways to shoot video and get paid!

would love to see the reel and the site! best of luck to ya

Thanks for taking the time to type out that message Sam.

I've been doing video stuff for a while now, already have some good connections but not enough to get started right now. I'm a go-getter type of person though, and have a lot of equipment too. (6d, t3i, and bmpcc) as well as a bunch of lighting equipment, jib, flycam, gimbal etc. So I've got quite a bit of stuff. (More than I should probably have, but I'm not complaining lol)

But great idea for the concert thing! I'm going to look into that. My website is justynbell.com if you want to check out my stuff. My reel is on there.

Thanks again for the suggestions man! Appreciate it!! :D

Get in touch with local nightclub promoters, not the clubs, but the promoters who rent the clubs out for their nights. If you get in with the right people you can suddenly find yourself with multiple orders a week (as I did) and make a little business out of it on the side which you pay people to run.

Stock footage is another good one, you'll learn loads while you go - and at the same time you'll be building a valuable library, provided you shoot the right stuff.

no worries man this is the stuff this forum is for! and hell, i'd say with the 6d and the bmpcc, you could even offer those as daily rentals at competitive rates to local rental houses. might not be a huge profit builder, but you'll be more affordable than cinequipt (or your local equivalent) and it's a good way to get a foot in the door on projects/making connects

having all the gear totally helps, i've got my own garage full of (homemade) jibs and sliders and whatnot, but they're great to have!

Back