Wireless audio suggestions

I figured after the new year I'm going to invest in a wireless audio system. My future endeavors will benefit greatly from it. I currently use the old lapel mic to stand-alone audio recorder system but syncing multiple audio tracks, for me, is just plain annoying. Maybe I need to spend more time getting the hang of it but I still think, overall, a wireless system will be beneficial.

I know I know... you're all sick of "cheapest" type posts so I'll say this. What's the best price + quality wireless system on the market today? So not necessarily the cheapest but inexpensive + quality combined. As bad as it may sound to some of you I don't require perfection. I'm more concerned with getting my product finished and simply not being terrible. If the audio is clean, I'm typically happy.

Thanks for that, reading it now. I didn't want to go "cheapest" I can get. Cause I know it'll be more headaches at the end of the day. I'm looking for quality vs price I suppose. Like "hey this is $200 but sucks this is $500 but sounds good this is $1000 and is amazing" I'd opt for the $500 one Lol.

I'll check these out in more detail.

Thanks again!

I hope double posting is OK. That forum post basically told me what I already suspected. I need to get a boom or shotgun mic instead. And I've wanted to. But the stuff I've been shooting my cast sorta has to wander around a bit. I think I just need to train them better to stay within range of the mic(s).

Thanks!!!

This may not be the exact answer you're looking for... but who is going to be operating the wireless mics? It is usually good to have your sound guy recording with a boom and wireless lavs. If you're going to be doing other things on the set, you'd be spreading yourself too thing. Also, wireless mics take a minute to master in terms of operating and attaching them to the actors and maintaining them throughout the shoot. It isn't the easiest job to throw at an untrained crew member.

I recommend you find a sound guy out there, and I'm sure there are plenty in the Atlanta area, who has this equipment and hire him for the shoot. If he's any good, he should have this equipment and be skilled in it. It will cost you much less money and headache then trying to purchase and operate a wireless set yourself. If you're really set on getting a wireless set, ask him all the questions you'd even need while you have access to a trained professional. You'll learn plenty along the way.

This is the route I went with after looking into purchasing a wireless set in the past.

The answer he's looking for is a Sennheiser G3. They're a little fragile and their range is less than the big boy toys, though their performance is relatively good out of the box and they're the cheapest of those that perform relatively well.

Just realize, it'll sound like a lav mic.

There's a little crew member called the Boom Operator. They're trained to deal with this kind of movement.

Lol true

This may not be the exact answer you're looking for... but who is going to be operating the wireless mics? It is usually good to have your sound guy recording with a boom and wireless lavs. If you're going to be doing other things on the set, you'd be spreading yourself too thing. Also, wireless mics take a minute to master in terms of operating and attaching them to the actors and maintaining them throughout the shoot. It isn't the easiest job to throw at an untrained crew member.

I recommend you find a sound guy out there, and I'm sure there are plenty in the Atlanta area, who has this equipment and hire him for the shoot. If he's any good, he should have this equipment and be skilled in it. It will cost you much less money and headache then trying to purchase and operate a wireless set yourself. If you're really set on getting a wireless set, ask him all the questions you'd even need while you have access to a trained professional. You'll learn plenty along the way.

This is the route I went with after looking into purchasing a wireless set in the past.

I'm really thinking of sticking to a boom mic at this point.

The answer he's looking for is a Sennheiser G3. They're a little fragile and their range is less than the big boy toys, though their performance is relatively good out of the box and they're the cheapest of those that perform relatively well.

Just realize, it'll sound like a lav mic.

Thanks for the heads up the model!

Back