• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cellular signal noise?

Anyone ever get that weird signal noise interference on your mic? I do and it happens sometimes in critical dialogue scenes. Is it from a cell phone?? And is there any way to get rid of it in post?

I doubt it.

You just need to keep all phones off when you record. I've had phone interference in the recording studio and I just do another take- it's not just a noise in the recording, it's a disruption of the actual signal.

arrow_up_ff000000.png

What they said...

Is it from a cell phone??

Yes. It can also come from Wi-Fi devices of all sorts. Appliances are also possible culprits. In fact, anything that uses electricity has the potential to create interference.

And is there any way to get rid of it in post?

No. At least not without extensive amounts of work by someone who knows what they're doing and/or expensive NR plug-ins.

If you look at the audio with a spectrum analyzer (search here for some options), you'll see that that noise is a full spectrum noise. You can scrub non-overlapping frequencies will varying degrees of success, but as soon as the frequencies overlap (dialog at a specific freq, and a full spectrum RF noise over that), anything you do to the frequency where the dialog lives to get rid of the RF interference is destructive to the dialog.

RF interferences and its full spectrum crappitude is the reason I upgraded my entire audio workflow from mic to recorder... or a few thousand dollars overall. For me, it was worth the expense to not have to worry as much about crap like that... especially after having to throw out an entire "in the can" short film.

RF interferences and its full spectrum crappitude is the reason I upgraded my entire audio workflow from mic to recorder... or a few thousand dollars overall. For me, it was worth the expense to not have to worry as much about crap like that... especially after having to throw out an entire "in the can" short film.

Aw that sucks. What did you have and what did you get ? And what ruined the movie exactly ?

I can understand asking everyone to turn off their cellphones but I believe things like Wi-fi are not very much in control unless you're shooting in little no-man's-land.

I believe things like Wi-fi are not very much in control unless you're shooting in little no-man's-land.

Proximity is one of the things that you can control. It's not the Wi-Fi per se, it's the bored extra 15 feet away from the set playing on her laptop that may cause interference. What is even more germane is that it's the bizarre occurrences that creep up - the Wi-Fi device next to the wall socket and an appliance (like a refrigerator) interacting to create the interference or strange noise. So you turn off every electronic device possible to hopefully negate those weird interactions.

Back