U R Being Videotaped Signs...

....Does anyone know where I could find some 'You Are Being Videotaped' signs? I could use about six of these suckers....

--spinner :cool:

I am wondering if that is legally binding to just post a sign?

You know what I mean?

I guess if they are put up at the entrances and other VERY visable areas, that's fine.. maybe record the locations of the signs to have a record of them being up.

Suppose you're filming in a park.

You have all the people you have hired to be on camera there and they've all signed releases.. now, suppose someone walks through the shot in the background (nice accidental background action woohoo) how are you gonna handle the releases?

Easy, with a sign! Hang something like the following in several clearly visible locations in the area you're shooting (Fill in the blanks with relevent info, & replace stuff in ()'s):

CROWD NOTICE - RELEASE

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT FILMING/TAPING IS TAKING PLACE IN CONNECTION WITH THE PRODUCTION OF A (MOTION PICTURE / SHORT FILM / TV SERIES / ETC) TENTATIVELY ENTITLED _________________________ PEOPLE ENTERING THIS AREA MAY APPEAR IN THE PICTURE. BY ENTERING THIS AREA, YOU GRANT TO (PRODUCER'S NAME / PRODUCTION COMPANY) THE RIGHT TO FILM AND PHOTOGRAPH YOU AND RECORD YOUR VOICE AND TO USE YOUR VOICE AND LIKENESS, WITHOUT COMPENSATION, IN CONNECTION WITH THE PICTURE AND THE DISTRIBUTION AND EXPLOITATION THEREOF, AND YOU RELEASE (PRODUCER'S NAME / PRODUCTION COMPANY) AND ITS LICENSEES FROM ALL LIABILITY IN CONNECTION THEREIN. YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND THAT (PRODUCER / PROD. CO) WILL PROCEED IN RELIANCE UPON SUCH GRANT AND RELEASE.

(PRODUCER / PROD. CO.) DOES NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY INJURY TO YOUR PERSON OR DAMAGE OR LOSS TO YOUR PROPERTY.

THE USE OF CAMERA AND RECORDING EQUIPMENT IS PROHIBITED DUE TO UNION AND COPYRIGHT REGULATIONS.

SMOKING IS PROHIBITED IN THIS AREA. THANK YOU!

... there ya go, obviously the last two bits about camera and smoking are optional, but probably worthwhile. ;)

Last edited:
...here's an update on the You Are Being Videotaped Signs....

...God Bless Photoshop :D ...

...Okay, for anyone who might need to know how to do this, this is what I did....

Got the wording for this from Mr. Will Vincent, thank you, my sign is not exactly what he suggested, but it is good I think...

You Are Being
VIDEOTAPED

By Entering This Area You Agree And Grant __Your__Company__Name The Right To Videotape And Use Your Voice And Likeness Without Compesation In Connection With The Film And Release __Your__Company__Name And Its Licensees, In All Aspects, From Any Liability In Connection With The Creation, Distribution, And Exploitation Of The Picture. Thank You.

...Now, initially, when you think SIGNS, one might think heavy, bulky, akward to carry and inflexible.

However, if you go to Kinkos, you can have your sign, which I took in on ordinary home printer paper, have
the sign increased to the size you want and have it laminated. This way, I have 6 signs, they are light, flexible and can be rolled up and carried easily.

6 signs cost me: approx. $2 apiece to have the sign made bigger, and about $5 per square foot to have them laminated, which came to about $20 plus tax, bringing the whole thang to a grand total of $36 give or take some change. And they are reusable for as long as you need them.

...not bad, if you ask me

Will Vincent said:
How big are they? :D

...about 11" by 17", and they're spectacular :D

...aaarrrggghh!!! I just found a typo! Sh--!, well that's too damn bad!

....(sigh)...I'll fix it.....I will!....later.....much later....it'll be dark when they're posted...#@!%!!!!!

....don't do as I do... :grumpy:

Last edited:
I just got back from the Key Club. They had a massive sign on the entrance door. Filled the whole door. :lol:

Don't forget to buy a few rolls of double-sided foam tape to attach them to things.

Back