• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Exporting for Flash?

I export my videos using the h.264 codec in mp4 format. When I upload them to vimeo or youtube, they are great quality, perfect crisp audio.

But when I try to import my mp4 file into Flash CS4 to make a flash movie to embed on my personal site, the audio quality turns crappy. The video itself sounds great, but once you embed it in flash, the audio goes to garbage.

Any ideas guys?

You're further along than I am. I can't figure out how to embed a Flash video onto my website at all. I can't even get the Flash movie to work properly on my computer let alone on my website.

Well, I can encode great for youtube, h.264.

Flash CS4 is touting that it has native support for h.264 mp4 files, but when I embed an mp4 file in my flash video, it just makes the audio sound horrible (the video is okay though).

I was just curious what the deal with that is, because encoding it as an FLV takes more space and isn't as good quality.

Solved it. It's best to just encode into an F4V with h.264 and use that in the flash.

I found it best to take the video and encode it at 480p resolution (it still retains all the sharpness of the 1080p).

I'd be willing to wager when youtube takes the 720p or 1080p high definition file, when it re-encodes, it actually does it for 480, because that's the actual video size showing on the screen.

Back