• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Problems syncing voice in music video that was rendered with Vegas 9 studio

Hello,

I am using Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 to edit my first ever music video. Thanks to VASST editing with this thing is a breeze (powerful tool). However, I have run into a problem where my final rendered video's sound works perfectly on my laptop (where it was rendered) but the sound is slightly out of sync when replayed using a DVD player and also on my TV (when played through my XBox 360 using Windows Media Center). I rendered the video as a MPEG-2 (DVD NTSC) file with the following description:

Audio: 224 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, Layer 2
Video: 29.97 fps, 720x480
Use this setting to create an MPEG-2 file with an NTSC DVD-compliant video stream, and an MPEG layer 2 audio stream.

Is this a codec issue? Am I rendreing to the wrong file type? Is this a setting(s) issue? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to completing my first ever video. Thank you.

It sounds like you're getting some extra audio delay somewhere in the render workflow.

Does the final rendered video play in sync on your computer? What are you using to do the MPEG2 render? What are you using to burn the dvd, etc. We need more information to give you any kind of informed answer that will be of much help to you.

If the problem only exists on the dvd, then the issue has to be somehow related to how you're burning your DVD

Thanks for the response, Will. Yes, the final rendered video does play in sync on my laptop (where I do my editing) - it looks great in Vegas and the resulting MPEG2 plays in sync in my Windows Media Player (I have a DVD add-on).

I am using Vegas to create the MPEG2 render. I also used Microsoft Explorer to burn the DVD using the DVD read/write drive on my laptop.

I thought the problem was only on the DVD, but when I transferred the MPEG2 file that plays perfectly well on my laptop onto my XBox 360 I noticed the sync issue there too.

Do I absolutely have to render for MPEG2? I only chose MPEG2 for the DVD distribution advantage, but I am in no way married to that format. Is there a better file format I should use? I hope that is sufficient and useful information, and once again thanks for the help.

Back