• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

buying firewire cable and card

I kind of half knew this already because of it being mentioned before, but I actually just got my camera on friday (hv30), and am very excited. Last night at best buy they showed me one and since I don't think I have the ports on my computer (about three or four years old from dell desktop) he showed me one of those ,too. Now these two each cost about 35 each, totaling over $70! To me thaqt seems like a lot, and theyre brand was also from dynex, which for some reason doesnt seem like the greatest brand, And their packaging looks more generic. And now I know many things are cheaper online these days than at a store (my camera, for example) so I went on one of their computers and looked online. Many were close to half the price of 35, and I think I saw a card that was only 10 with shipping! Im guessing I can get more of a bargain online, and I just wanted to know of your opinions and personal expieriences of the best cable and chip online. The cheaper the better, but im sure most will be less than best buy. Ill check on bandh, as I belive I have some discount coupons from them, but any suggestions, especially if you have the hv30 would be great! thanks.

Now these two each cost about 35 each, totaling over $70! To me thaqt seems like a lot, and theyre brand was also from dynex, which for some reason doesnt seem like the greatest brand, And their packaging looks more generic.

Usually you can find a firewire card WITH a cable for $25-$35. Check the boxes and see if it says a cable is included. You want to make sure you're getting FIREWIRE 400 A (IEEE1394A) not the Firewire 800 (IEEE1394B).

I have a Canon HV20 and the truth is ANY generic firewire card will work and work about equally well. I can sometimes find a card with cable for $15. They work perfectly fine.

Try maybe www.microcenter.com or any discount computer site for firewire cards with cable. Also AMAZON.COM always has good prices on cables by themselves.

I think that when you are buying things for your camera and computer set- up, if the things you need cost less than $40 apiece, you are doing pretty good :D

-- spinner :cool:

Back