Is this film school course worth taking?

I am not exactly a newbie here, but I wasn't sure where else to post this, when it comes to discussing film school. I was thinking of taking this course:

http://www.rais.ca/Motion Picture Arts

It's almost 12K and I was wondering if it was worth the money, or if they do not really teach enough...? Other people who I have talked to that went to different film schools, say that it was a waste of money and time, cause what they learnt was obsolete, and didn't help them in the filmmaking world of the current day. So I was wonderng what you thought of this course from the looks of it. I took a tour of the school, and it seemed... okay, but not sure, since it was just a tour, and I cannot get a full impression from it.

I talked to one student who is currently going there so far, and she says it's good, but that is just one person's opinion so far, where as other's from other film schools says it ended up being a waste of money in the end, when they could have put that money to better use. So what do you think?

I learned a lot of things from making the first short. Mostly I would never again make one without a DP or PSM. Cause the first one I chose to make it without people as experienced in those areas, cause I wanted to get it made anyway, but I learned not to do it again, especially when it come result in too much ADR.

As to what I would differently, mainly I would cut down on shots, as I had too many per scene, and I need to cut down on shoot time, so less shots and angles. And of course get a PSM and DP. Another thing I would do differently is get different kinds of shots. Not that all of mind were bad or anything, I don't think, it's just that I have developed a different style of shots in the process of learning, that I think would be better, or more original to me.

I really wish you'd answer more questions more like you did here. Thank you for this time.

For you, I'd add the following questions:

Did you achieve the result you expected? (As in, did the film reach your vision)

If not, what do you need to do to get you closer to your directorial vision?

Maybe alter the wording of the questions (you seemed to answer WalterB's questions more thoroughly). Then you need to make another short film using the changes you deemed important. See what result you get. Go through the questions again. Repeat. This is one way, and probably the way that will work best for you, to learn to become a better filmmaker.

Next time I will use less shots, as the shoot time took too long, for everyone's liking

More often than not, it goes the other way. As you gain experience, you increase in speed and realize the importance of more coverage... unless you're a savant like Hitchcock or Spielberg.

I also learned that I need to keep actors cognizant of continuity, but also at the same time, not to the point, where it is distracting their acting, and try to find a balance.

This is why the getting the correct coverage is important. Cutting to a clean shot can help get you out of a sticky spot if continuity is broken between versions. Knowing how you can cut it all together will help you as a director so you and your script supervisor can determine whether you can move on to the next scene.

I worked under a director and helped him edit his film project, and what he would do, to keep continuity in check is he would only use one take every time, cause that way, you don't have to worry about it

I had a problematic edit late last year. The director didn't know an important scene was lacking. On top of that, there were two additional problems. Not the correct coverage, lots of adlibbing and reshoots wasn't possible. About 25% of the overall edit time was spent on that scene. It ended up being one of the weaker scenes in the entire film.

That's another thing I learned is that I could borrow from several parts of different takes, more than I thought I could.

It's amazing what happens when you... you know... actually edit?

It's good to see you grow.

Sorry for not answering your questions as thoroughly before, after thinking about it more, I was able to answer it more thoroughly later, on the next post.

I'd say the film sort of reached my vision but could have been better. Basically what I need to get better is get an actual DP and PSM.

I know that coverage is important, I just feel that I got too many shots, and I need to cut down to save on shoot time, before my time runs out. I can still have coverage, I just need to plan it more carefully, and with not so much of it, that it takes too long.

It's amazing what happens when you... you know... actually edit?

Thanks. What do you mean when you say actually edit, and end it with a question mark. Are you asking me if I edited mine?

What do you mean when you say actually edit

Your lightbulb moment: that editors could take the good parts from different takes and put them together to form a better story. It's part of the first steps to actually editing as opposed to button pressing and hoping.

This is why a good script supervisor is important and valuable - (s)he keeps track of continuity so that it falls much less on the actors.

Mara,

You've touched on a good point. When I was at AFM, I discussed certain scenes involving Leisure Man, and it's critical that he says different things to different people, contradicting himself. One person said that I have to make sure the audience knows he's doing it deliberately, as opposed to a writer making a mistake in writing.

For what it's worth, most people liked Leisure Man, so I'm thinking of doing more scripts with him. As the writing progresses, the project takes on a life of its own. :)

Last edited:
So, now you know what to do: make 4 shorts on your own before August.
The poetry assignment is a good start.
Deadline is March 1st. Don't slack and mind you: if you finish a bit earlier, you'll have more time for the other 3.
So you need to have a recorded poem before January 26th and a first cut on February 17th.
Good luck!

How's the homework progressing? :P

Back