can you get your film in indie theatres by digital communication?

The digital file is not sent by email. But phone skills could be a
simple solution for a little success.

That would be a DCP-file, which is usually delivered on a harddrive, because we're talking about lots of GigaBytes.

you could get the film played i guess. But i've realized every theatre charges a fee. there's no way to break even or actually get ahead this way. correct?
Sure there is.

You are correct, most theaters charge a fee rather than taking the financial
risk with the filmmaker. But there are ways for the filmmaker to break even
or even make a profit.

This says to shoot in 24p. Really? I thought people more often shoot in 30fps these days.

Yes, very strange advice. I don't understand why they correctly state 24fps is the standard for DCP but recommend shooting at a different frame rate (23.976). Shooting at 24fps and avoiding a speed conversion is always the best/safe bet.

BTW, no one ever shoots films (or pretty much anything) at 30fps.

G

Sure there is.

You are correct, most theaters charge a fee rather than taking the financial
risk with the filmmaker. But there are ways for the filmmaker to break even
or even make a profit.

i thought maybe some theatres might take a percentage instead of charging a fee , which is usually a few hundred right.

So yes you could make a small profit maybe locally putting all your effort in. One time showing or something. I was talking about using phone skills to get a film in alot of theatres,but thats a lot of fees and the only way your making your money back is if you have marketing . The only way you could get people in those seats is marketing which means small distribution at least anway.

i thought maybe some theatres might take a percentage instead of charging a fee

The majority of the box office is done this way.

which is usually a few hundred right

It'll depend on the cinema and what they'll accept/negotiate. As an independent, you'll usually to have to cover their nut to eliminate their downside. They will often also want some of the upside. Depending on where you are, cinemas may not accept your film under any terms without an agreed upon advertising spend. It can also depend on what's on their slate. During a slow time, you may find they're more willing to take on your film than during their busy time.

I was talking about using phone skills to get a film in alot of theatres,but thats a lot of fees and the only way your making your money back is if you have marketing

Yep, that's independent distribution in a nutshell. I assume you're planning on doing your own cinema booking and not go through a booker?

Another point you may not have thought about. What happens if the cinema refuses to give you what you're owed? It can happen. Are you willing to spend the next x months/years in court?

Good luck in your distribution.

The majority of the box office is done this way.

It'll depend on the cinema and what they'll accept/negotiate. As an independent, you'll usually to have to cover their nut to eliminate their downside. They will often also want some of the upside. Depending on where you are, cinemas may not accept your film under any terms without an agreed upon advertising spend. It can also depend on what's on their slate. During a slow time, you may find they're more willing to take on your film than during their busy time.

Yep, that's independent distribution in a nutshell. I assume you're planning on doing your own cinema booking and not go through a booker?

Another point you may not have thought about. What happens if the cinema refuses to give you what you're owed? It can happen. Are you willing to spend the next x months/years in court?

Good luck in your distribution.

no i'm going to try to get a distributor. no point in doing 10 times the work for 10 times less success. Which success really isnt possible this way. never been done actually.

i asked that question earlier on this thread. no one answered. yes i've sold units in stores before. they dont always pay .
This is the system. its ok

no i'm going to try to get a distributor

It's probably a good idea. If you can get distribution, this whole discussion becomes moot, right? Does it mean it's a waste of time discussing this any further?

no point in doing 10 times the work for 10 times less success. Which success really isnt possible this way. never been done actually.

Depends on your definition of success and your goals. I've read a number of case studies in where the filmmaker was happy with the results. Most of those were 6 or 7 figures. So I guess that's a success, right?

If you really want to know, google for case studies on self distribution. I'm sure you'll find something. Not sure how relevant it'll be to your film. You'll have to make that determination.

they dont always pay

Larger distributors have more leverage to ensure a better chance of payment. It's part of the reason to get reputable distribution. There are of course downsides. Some of them are significant.

The only way you could get people in those seats is marketing
You are correct. The only way to get people to pay to see
a movie is to let them know the movie is playing. Marketing
is essential.

That's why no theater is going to take the financial risk of
a percentage. If you don't market the movie people will not
know it is playing. If people don't know it's playing they cannot
pay to see it. So theaters will charge a fee to cover their costs.
That way the break even if you don't do the marketing to
get people in those seats. You take the financial risk, not the
theater owner.

That's good business.

Back