Distributing in VOD

Hi. I am a producer from France. Out of curiosity, how would you feel about releasing your film directly to VOD on certain territories, if your film hasn't found a distributor in those territories?

Hi. I am a producer from France. Out of curiosity, how would you feel about releasing your film directly to VOD on certain territories, if your film hasn't found a distributor in those territories?

I would love to do it. I've got a feature film that will be ready for release by End March. I'm concentrating my efforts in distributing in Canada, particularly Canadian TV. But I'd love to know how to distribute to regular TV channels in other countries as opposed to VOD.

Also how does territorial VOD work exactly, with respect to releasing on SVOD services like Vimeo?
Best,
Aveek

Hi Aveek,

I have a great suggestion. Why don't you build your own VOD platform to monetize your movie & video contents. I know such a platform called Muvi Studio, here you can build your own branded Video streaming platform with ZERO INVESTMENT & within 24 Hrs. Just pay for the bandwidth (NO HIDDEN FEE).
Many popular TV Networks (MAA TV Network) in India already created their own platforms like www.maaflix.com using Muvi Studio.

For more details visit - www.studio.muvi.com

Hi, I would have no problem as long as the deal is non-exclusive. We formed a VOD company called INC. Our model is completely PRO-Filmmaker. 3 year (not 5,7 or 10). Non-exclusive. This give you the out if you are not happy or not getting your share. Do not get tied to a no-escape VOD deal. There are lots and lots of them that will never send you a dime. We know! That's why we formed INC on Roku!

Hi, I would have no problem as long as the deal is non-exclusive. We formed a VOD company called INC. Our model is completely PRO-Filmmaker. 3 year (not 5,7 or 10). Non-exclusive. This give you the out if you are not happy or not getting your share. Do not get tied to a no-escape VOD deal. There are lots and lots of them that will never send you a dime. We know! That's why we formed INC on Roku!

What is a 3 year non-exclusive contract? What does it mean? You get the movie for three years. What does the filmmaker get, should you choose the movie?

What can I get with INC, that I cannot get by paying $200 to vimeo and having my movie up for rent or sale?

Non-exclusive means you can have other contracts with other companies (as long as they are also non-exclusive contracts) or on your own on Vimeo, while you have your movie on their platform. The contract would stipulate what you get out of it. Usually you get some money in the form of a percentage of sales or a payment per view. That payment often depends on how good/sellable your movie is. Sometimes it's a set amount for every film. Sometimes you negotiate what the payment will be.

What you get is another avenue for your movie to play on without any fees up front. Sometimes distributors will help give your film a push in visibility so maybe it gets noticed. But I find you pretty much always have to do your own advertising.

Back