Can someone help me pick crowfuding site for my film?

having a real project that should be seen is reason enough.

Reason enough for what? For you to give crowdfunding a try? Absolutely.

Reason enough for other people to give you money? Probably not. First, if they don't know about your project there's no chance they're going to contribute - doesn't matter how good it is. Second - even once they do know about your project they need to have a reason to care enough about it to contribute. Just being a 'real project that should be seen' isn't enough to make someone care about it - there are plenty of projects like that. What makes yours any different than all the rest? If you can't figure that out and communicate it effectively to a large enough potential audience then you're not going to get many of them contributing.

Spending years on lame ideas to basically steal money from people is not more valid.

I'm honestly not really sure what you're referring to here - is it my comment that a successful campaign often starts years before the actual campaign? I'm not referring to some kind of scheme that you have to work on for that long. I'm saying you have to be putting in the work building a reputation, an audience, fans, contacts. You need a track record that shows people you can deliver on what you're planning to do. You need a compelling story - something that makes people care about your project - and you need to be able to convey that story to a lot of people. Crowdfunding doesn't work without a crowd.

And it's not a question of which approach is "more valid". No one said you have to crowdfund - some people do, some don't. It's one more option of several to fund your project. You could work for years and save the money. You could seek private investment. You could pay for it with credit cards. You could win the lottery. Or you could crowdfund - they're all valid approaches, and each has it's strengths, weaknesses, and individual challenges. Only you can decide which is right for you, and your project, and whether you're willing and able to put in the work that that particular route requires.

My funding is for marketing

Honestly I think that's going to be a really tough sell for crowdfunding.

Last edited:

Reason enough for other people to give you money? Probably not. First, if they don't know about your project there's no chance they're going to contribute - doesn't matter how good it is. Second - even once they do know about your project they need to have a reason to care enough about it to contribute. Just being a 'real project that should be seen' isn't enough to make someone care about it - there are plenty of projects like that. What makes yours any different than all the rest? If you can't figure that out and communicate it effectively to a large enough potential audience then you're not going to get many of them contributing.

I'm honestly not really sure what you're referring to here - is it my comment that a successful campaign often starts years before the actual campaign? I'm not referring to some kind of scheme that you have to work on for that long. I'm saying you have to be putting in the work building a reputation, an audience, fans, contacts. You need a track record that shows people you can deliver on what you're planning to do. You need a compelling story - something that makes people care about your project - and you need to be able to convey that story to a lot of people. Crowdfunding doesn't work without a crowd.

And it's not a question of which approach is "more valid". No one said you have to crowdfund - some people do, some don't. It's one more option of several to fund your project. You could work for years and save the money. You could seek private investment. You could pay for it with credit cards. You could win the lottery. Or you could crowdfund - they're all valid approaches, and each has it's strengths, weaknesses, and individual challenges. Only you can decide which is right for you, and your project, and whether you're willing and able to put in the work that that particular route requires.

I thought the crowdfunding was the way to get your project out there and most of the other things you said.

Im not sure of any other ideas beforehand. If you have acouple ideas how to create buzz i'd appreciate it

If people need to spend so much time creating interest it's forced. Something worthy will create it's own interest soon enough.

Any examples of how people gain interest would help me but you either have something that does well or it doesn't. If it takes forever to gain minimal interest it wasn't ever going to

Sounds to me like you're not really interested in people's feedback, which raises the question of why you created this thread in the first place.

Great projects don't always get funded.
Crap projects don't always fail.

The three main requirements for crowdfunding are, in descending order of importance: 1) Hard work, 2) Presence, and 3) Personality. After that, a great project is useful, but people don't invest in the project; they invest in the people and the idea. Who knows how the project will actually end up?

If you want to know my personal experiences, just ask and I'll give you a more thorough response.

So here's the other thing - as important as the marketing and promotion part of things is, if you don't also have a compelling project & campaign you're wasting your time promoting it.

Unfortunately this particular campaign is a perfect example of what not to do, in almost every aspect...

- A generic title - "Turn Short Film Into Feature Film"
- Two short paragraphs describing the project
- $250,000 campaign goal with nothing to indicate they're capable of producing a feature film
- Absolutely no information about the people behind it
- No detailed information about what the funding is actually for - just "making a movie"
- No campaign video, just the 15 minute short film they're trying to turn into a feature
- The short film has a watermark in the middle from the demo video converter they used to compress it
- The short currently has 163 views on youtube
- The budget for the short was apparently $4500, but there's no indication where the money went on the technical side:
- it looks like it was shot on DV
- it uses existing lighting
- it essentially takes place in a single drab apartment
- it looks like it took no more than a single day to shoot
- both the live sound and sound fx are poor
- Technical shortcomings aside, the film is also not particularly strong creatively:
- pacing is overly slow
- editing is weak; you could cut the running time in half and not really lose anything
- the premise could have promise but the execution is completely unbelievable/unrealistic (911 operators don't work from home, and don't ask for and verbally relay addresses to responders)
- acting isn't very strong
- for a thriller there is no real sense of danger, suspense, no scares, etc

The whole campaign essentially comes across as someone who made their first video one day and then decided that the next logical step is to raise a quarter million to make a feature. It's not surprising that a week into the campaign they've raised just $1 towards their goal. It's completely unrealistic, and no amount of promotion is going to make their campaign a success.

Not to mention that they don't even have the dedication to throw in $20 of their own money to grease the wheels a little.

Sounds to me like you're not really interested in people's feedback, which raises the question of why you created this thread in the first place.

Great projects don't always get funded.
Crap projects don't always fail.

The three main requirements for crowdfunding are, in descending order of importance: 1) Hard work, 2) Presence, and 3) Personality. After that, a great project is useful, but people don't invest in the project; they invest in the people and the idea. Who knows how the project will actually end up?

If you want to know my personal experiences, just ask and I'll give you a more thorough response.

no i am getting good info here . If i hear something that doesnt make sense though and i make a point against it and get no response then i know to disregard it and that i was right concerning that particular point

I thought the crowdfunding was the way to get your project out there and most of the other things you said.

I think that's a popular misconception. Kickstarter, Indiegogo and the rest don't do any promotion or marketing for you. Crowdfunding is a tool for raising money for a project from a large number of people - nothing more. It can certainly be used strategically as a component in a comprehensive marketing plan, but in and of itself it's not a form of promotion. And like I said before - crowdfunding doesn't work without a crowd. If you don't have a crowd you need to figure out a way to find one.

If people need to spend so much time creating interest it's forced. Something worthy will create it's own interest soon enough.

Any examples of how people gain interest would help me but you either have something that does well or it doesn't. If it takes forever to gain minimal interest it wasn't ever going to

I hate to say it but that's a very naive way of looking at things. There are countless 'worthy' projects that never gain much interest because people just don't know about them. There is a ton of noise out there, and if you can't figure out a way to get people's attention it doesn't really matter how worthy your project is. How long it takes you to build that interest isn't necessarily a measure of the project - it's a measure of your approach (or lack thereof) to promotion.

Think of it this way - you're standing in a large auditorium full of thousands of people. At one end of the auditorium is a stage with a PA system. Every 10 minutes someone gets up on stage to tell people about their movie over the PA system. You want to build some interest in your own project too by telling the audience about it.

Now obviously the quickest and easiest way to do this is to get up on stage and use the PA system - you'll reach everyone in the room at once, and you'll command their attention because you're the loudest thing in the room. There's just one problem - lots of people want to use the PA to promote their own projects, and there's only a limited amount of time on stage available. So the owners of the PA system can charge for that time, and it's very expensive - they want $100,000 each time you get up there to talk. No problem if you've got a large marketing budget, but way out of reach for most indie projects unless you are independently wealthy.

Now a second option would be to find someone in the crowd with money and partner with them - get them to pay for the time on the PA in exchange for a share of the sales that result from it. The problem with this is that there's only a few people in the crowd with that kind of money, and lots of people trying to partner up with them, so it's hard to get a chance to talk to them and difficult to convince them to choose your project over the others. So it's going to take some more time and effort than the first option because you have to seek out the people with money in the crowd and convince them of the merits of your project.

A third option would be to introduce yourself to the people standing next to you, get to know them and then tell them about your film. Then you walk over to some other people and do the same thing, and continue doing so as you make your way through the crowd. This is far less expensive than using the PA, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort to reach a large number of people. If you stick with it and do it steadily over time you can let a lot of people know about your project without spending much money. Additionally, your project may be more than just another generic movie to them because they'll know you personally from your conversations with them - so they'll feel more of a personal connection to it. And because of that they may be more likely to tell other people about it, or tell others to come talk to you - which can help you reach more people over time than you can physically reach yourself.

A final option would be to just stand there and wait for people to come ask you about your project. The problem is that most people probably aren't going around asking other people about their projects, so you won't end up with many people finding out about yours - no matter how good it is. You'll also only reach the people who are nearest to where you stand, or who happen to walk by at a moment where they are seeking out films. It's going to take a very, very long time to get any significant buzz going, and it's very likely it will never happen at all.

The first option is traditional advertising - TV, radio, print, etc. The second option is the typical route of finding a distributor for your film. The third option is using social media to build an audience and a personal brand. And the final option is just waiting for your film to be discovered.

Of the four options the last one is certainly the easiest to do, but also by far the least likely to be successful - it's the equivalent of playing the lottery and hoping you'll be the one out of millions who win without putting any effort in. The first is also pretty easy - assuming you've got plenty of money. If you don't have a lot of money, but are hoping to be successful, the second and third options are the only realistically viable ones. And the second option gets a lot easier if you've already taken the third approach - because an existing fan base/audience makes you more attractive to a potential distributor.

Last edited:
Since I'm planning a campaign myself, I'm curious how much you have donated so far for films. It's difficult for me to believe that this is a normal thing for people to do, to fund films of strangers, so I'm curious how much and how often people actually donate.

I personally have funded $100 in total to two filmmakers, both of whom I know and who've worked on my films for free. I was just repaying them back, but I wouldn't have funded them if I hadn't known them.

I pledge to movie projects on Kickststarter all the time. I will not pledge to IGG projects.

For the OP, it sounds like crownfunding is not for you.

Last edited:
Not to mention that they don't even have the dedication to throw in $20 of their own money to grease the wheels a little.

It's against Kickstarter's rules for the campaign creator(s) to pledge money to their projects. If they catch you, the project can be deactivated.

I think that's a popular misconception. Kickstarter, Indiegogo and the rest don't do any promotion or marketing for you. Crowdfunding is a tool for raising money for a project from a large number of people - nothing more. It can certainly be used strategically as a component in a comprehensive marketing plan, but in and of itself it's not a form of promotion. And like I said before - crowdfunding doesn't work without a crowd. If you don't have a crowd you need to figure out a way to find one.

I hate to say it but that's a very naive way of looking at things. There are countless 'worthy' projects that never gain much interest because people just don't know about them. There is a ton of noise out there, and if you can't figure out a way to get people's attention it doesn't really matter how worthy your project is. How long it takes you to build that interest isn't necessarily a measure of the project - it's a measure of your approach (or lack thereof) to promotion.

Think of it this way - you're standing in a large auditorium full of thousands of people. At one end of the auditorium is a stage with a PA system. Every 10 minutes someone gets up on stage to tell people about their movie over the PA system. You want to build some interest in your own project too by telling the audience about it.

Now obviously the quickest and easiest way to do this is to get up on stage and use the PA system - you'll reach everyone in the room at once, and you'll command their attention because you're the loudest thing in the room. There's just one problem - lots of people want to use the PA to promote their own projects, and there's only a limited amount of time on stage available. So the owners of the PA system can charge for that time, and it's very expensive - they want $100,000 each time you get up there to talk. No problem if you've got a large marketing budget, but way out of reach for most indie projects unless you are independently wealthy.

Now a second option would be to find someone in the crowd with money and partner with them - get them to pay for the time on the PA in exchange for a share of the sales that result from it. The problem with this is that there's only a few people in the crowd with that kind of money, and lots of people trying to partner up with them, so it's hard to get a chance to talk to them and difficult to convince them to choose your project over the others. So it's going to take some more time and effort than the first option because you have to seek out the people with money in the crowd and convince them of the merits of your project.

A third option would be to introduce yourself to the people standing next to you, get to know them and then tell them about your film. Then you walk over to some other people and do the same thing, and continue doing so as you make your way through the crowd. This is far less expensive than using the PA, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort to reach a large number of people. If you stick with it and do it steadily over time you can let a lot of people know about your project without spending much money. Additionally, your project may be more than just another generic movie to them because they'll know you personally from your conversations with them - so they'll feel more of a personal connection to it. And because of that they may be more likely to tell other people about it, or tell others to come talk to you - which can help you reach more people over time than you can physically reach yourself.

A final option would be to just stand there and wait for people to come ask you about your project. The problem is that most people probably aren't going around asking other people about their projects, so you won't end up with many people finding out about yours - no matter how good it is. You'll also only reach the people who are nearest to where you stand, or who happen to walk by at a moment where they are seeking out films. It's going to take a very, very long time to get any significant buzz going, and it's very likely it will never happen at all.

The first option is traditional advertising - TV, radio, print, etc. The second option is the typical route of finding a distributor for your film. The third option is using social media to build an audience and a personal brand. And the final option is just waiting for your film to be discovered.

Of the four options the last one is certainly the easiest to do, but also by far the least likely to be successful - it's the equivalent of playing the lottery and hoping you'll be the one out of millions who win without putting any effort in. The first is also pretty easy - assuming you've got plenty of money. If you don't have a lot of money, but are hoping to be successful, the second and third options are the only realistically viable ones. And the second option gets a lot easier if you've already taken the third approach - because an existing fan base/audience makes you more attractive to a potential distributor.

ok appreciate it . Here are the problems. how do you advertise about a film that isnt done for example or work on hype before your done? And i could care less about creating local word of mouth with a film that may have larger subject and audience then your assuming.

I mean if you spend your time on your film maybe its going to festival. But maybe i'm talking to the wrong film makers?

ok appreciate it . Here are the problems. how do you advertise about a film that isnt done for example or work on hype before your done? And i could care less about creating local word of mouth with a film that may have larger subject and audience then your assuming.

I mean if you spend your time on your film maybe its going to festival. But maybe i'm talking to the wrong film makers?

you guys are saying that crowdfunding is not at all about getting your film out there?

Google Star Wars Episode VII to find an extreme example of hyping before it's finished.
It's extreme because there are a lot of fans and the budget is big, but it shows that it can be done: hyping before even shooting.

All word of mouth starts local, even if it's not your own location.
Because word of mouth starts with someone sharing their thought/enthousiasm about a project.
Sending a good press release to a local newspaper is never a bad thing to let people know about it.

Why would the far away crowd even bother if you don't think it's worth letting the local crowd know?

you guys are saying that crowdfunding is not at all about getting your film out there?

It's a side effect of a successfull campaign that reaches a lot of people.
But if you don't take the time and effort to promote your campaign, changes are slim your film will get out there.
The objective is still to raise money to finish the project.
To do this you try to reach out to a lot of people. When doing this right the campaign will reach beyond your own project. That way your film is getting out there into the minds of people.

If you want the crowd to fund the marketing: why not?
But you still need to market your crowdfunding campaign to reach out. (And the side effect is you are in effect marketing your film as well, although it is still in an early stage.)

my crowdfunding isnt so much about starting up the project. Mine is being worked on. I dont feel i have the time or means to get people interested beforehadn since i dont spend much time on social media nor do i want to and wouldnt know where to start.

Having a good video/cause and something people can get into in indie gogo could be enough to meet your goals couldnt it?

thanks alot for all this . Thats great

You're welcome.

I never said anything about starting a project, but I did mention 'able to finish' ;)

Letting people know before the campaign starts can be really simple: letting friends and family know when you start it and ask them to help to spread the word is a first simple step.
Asking them to think about what they want to pledge is a simple second step.
This way you can start the first day with momentum, instead of ending the first day with $0,- pledged.

You don't have to put any effort in it and leave it up the random events in the universe.

A lot of advice in here is given from first and second hand experience or observations.

But maybe i'm talking to the wrong film makers?

Very much maybe. Or they may be the right people and you're asking the wrong questions. Perhaps a bit of both?

how do you advertise about a film that isnt done for example or work on hype before your done? And i could care less about creating local word of mouth with a film that may have larger subject and audience then your assuming.

There are as many methods as ideas. What's your budget? That's probably going to be your main limiting factor. Once you know your budget, feel free to talk to a publicist or a PMD.

There seems to be a growing trend to use crowd funding to build your audience instead of financing your film. Some don't agree with that idea. Either way, crowd funding is getting very crowded. How do you intend on rising above the rest? That's your real question. You may have the best, most motivating idea in the world. If no one sees it, who's really going to care?

If you want the crowd to fund the marketing: why not?

I don't think I've seen someone say in this thread that crowd funding is usually one of two things. A). A friends and family fund. B). Pre-Selling something of value to an established and/or newly found fanbase.

I personally think you're between a rock and a hard place. To you, I'd guess that you're seeing crowd funding as your salvation where you can put up a pitch and people will flock to donate their money to you. Hey... If that's true, go for it. See how it goes. Report back how you go. To me, I think you're going to find out what a lot of people say. Crowd funding is really, really hard. You're going to spend a lot of time chasing small, piddly amounts of money and spend a lot of time afterwards fulfilling pledges. Unless you're the one in a million to makes it work a miracle. Though, if you're going to use up your luck on this movie, why don't you use it getting a real distribution deal instead?

Good luck.

I'm not sure how people advertise an indie film through those outlets. Especially if the film is not done yet.

i'm still waiting to hear how people actually create buzz for their films

And local word of mouth isnt it for me either i dont have a local film. I'm trying to for festivals does that mean crowdfunding isnt for me if i can get mine in there? and why?

And local word of mouth isnt it for me either i dont have a local film....

1) Social Media, blog, sending press releases to (local) press, BTS, trailers, teasers.

2) And a movie situated on Mars only benefits from word of mouth on Mars. :P
You are from somewhere, right?
Your film is being shot somewhere, right?
Your cast and crew are from somewhere, right?

You don't need a local movie/subject to deserve or benefit from local word of mouth.

I'm not sure how people advertise an indie film through those outlets. Especially if the film is not done yet.

And local word of mouth isnt it for me either i dont have a local film. I'm trying to for festivals does that mean crowdfunding isnt for me if i can get mine in there? and why?

disregard this one plz

Very much maybe. Or they may be the right people and you're asking the wrong questions. Perhaps a bit of both?

There are as many methods as ideas. What's your budget? That's probably going to be your main limiting factor. Once you know your budget, feel free to talk to a publicist or a PMD.

There seems to be a growing trend to use crowd funding to build your audience instead of financing your film. Some don't agree with that idea. Either way, crowd funding is getting very crowded. How do you intend on rising above the rest? That's your real question. You may have the best, most motivating idea in the world. If no one sees it, who's really going to care?

I don't think I've seen someone say in this thread that crowd funding is usually one of two things. A). A friends and family fund. B). Pre-Selling something of value to an established and/or newly found fanbase.

I personally think you're between a rock and a hard place. To you, I'd guess that you're seeing crowd funding as your salvation where you can put up a pitch and people will flock to donate their money to you. Hey... If that's true, go for it. See how it goes. Report back how you go. To me, I think you're going to find out what a lot of people say. Crowd funding is really, really hard. You're going to spend a lot of time chasing small, piddly amounts of money and spend a lot of time afterwards fulfilling pledges. Unless you're the one in a million to makes it work a miracle. Though, if you're going to use up your luck on this movie, why don't you use it getting a real distribution deal instead?

Good luck.

I dont see how word of mouth locally or a press release is going to do much. Its certainly wont spread across the world . At least the crowdfunding site does. ANd you can pack a punch there. Again i dont need funding i have a funded film thats going to be finished.

I have a worthwhille project that will be finished that could use some post production help

1) Social Media, blog, sending press releases to (local) press, BTS, trailers, teasers.

2) And a movie situated on Mars only benefits from word of mouth on Mars. :P
You are from somewhere, right?
Your film is being shot somewhere, right?
Your cast and crew are from somewhere, right?

You don't need a local movie/subject to deserve or benefit from local word of mouth.

Still... the film is being made and i'm using teasers trailors for the crowdfunding. I dont have years to somehow get hype beforehand. And still i mean what social media? what blogs? local press release ok big deal . That will reach 4000 people maybe the indiegogo reaches many more

you guys are reaching maybe. Is there some rule that says you cant introduce your film through crowdfunding. And name all these projects that had such a head of steam behind them before they got there

Back