Is a 3 day feature shoot impossible?

3 day feature shoot impossible?

Hello Fellow Filmmakers,

I'm producing my first indie feature myself. I have a VERY limited budget, as do most of us. My script is 80 pages with LOTS of action sequences (no dialogue) (not action/fighting). 75% of the script takes place in one location and I can only afford that location for 2 days. The other location will have a lot of dialogue and I feel it can be shot in 1 day. A few exterior street shoots with minimal dialogue. 2-3 locations total.

I'm going for staged lighting so we can film without light setups. LOTS of handheld and maybe a doorway dolly and jib. Looking for a 2 camera setup with DSLR's with ONE fast zoom lens so no changing out lenses.

Is this impossible or INSANE to do in 3 days?

Last edited:
Remember the saying, you can get 2 of the following: Fast, Cheap, Good.

work.jpg

27 pages per day. That's really fast. If you have only three locations - so that's one location per day - it might be remotely doable. But, as was mentioned, you are going to have to shoot a "play." That means every line, every mark, every camera move, all the lighting and every audio detail has been thought out, prepped and rehearsed until it is completely automatic. Remember that a real play preproduces and rehearses for months before it hits the stage. You'll have to do the same.

It's not impossible or insane. If you REALLY feel you can do it GO FOR IT. But MAKE sure you have EVERYTHING covered and planned in ADVANCE.

This is an example of something that was shot in three days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-MvZx4MhsA&list=TLeS8Qb_kStg-XiSpxUkZG2mHdaYtBBQqy

You also mentioned your film had action. This filmmaker also has several books on Action Filmmaking. I would suggest to contact him and get his input.

He also did about 4 other features also.

I did my drama feature that had about 70 pages in the script in 18 shooting days.

Not much action in the movie either.

And I do shoot with fast tempo as well.

I would not like to try to shoot feature in 3 days time, no way.

If you will try it you will have to shoot 16-18 hours in a day and even still it is hard to get good results.

It's not impossible or insane. If you REALLY feel you can do it GO FOR IT. But MAKE sure you have EVERYTHING covered and planned in ADVANCE.

This is an example of something that was shot in three days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-MvZx4MhsA&list=TLeS8Qb_kStg-XiSpxUkZG2mHdaYtBBQqy

You also mentioned your film had action. This filmmaker also has several books on Action Filmmaking. I would suggest to contact him and get his input.

He also did about 4 other features also.

LOOKS TERRIBLE!

I don't think because is was shot in 3 days in looked like this. Bad DP, lack of technical skill. Bad director, lack of visualization. Bad audio. Acting was...not there.

Scenario: If you gave Steven Spielberg and Oliver Wood a 3 day film challenge do you think it would look bad?

Back