Freelance jobs

Hello guys.

I never did freelance jobs but now that i have conditions to do it (material and software) i'd like to try and win some extra money.

I've received an email from someone who want my services but i dont know what to reply to the question "how much you ask for one day of work?"

I'd like some guidance from you guys. If it's not too indiscreet a question, may i ask the value some of you ask for for your freelance jobs?

Also, sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong section.

Thanks.

A one-day shoot w/ editing is anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 for me. It would be a corporate interview/b-roll situation on the lower end and a music video at the high end. I tried doing hourly but I find it's better as a startup freelancer to first give them flat-rate prices and then go from there. At some times I've done $800 for what I usually charge $1,000 based on the client's budget and simplifying his project into something financially/logistically viable for me. I stay away from hourly because I'm not working at the level of money that would really warrant that. Also, people will try to squeeze what should be a 14-hour shoot into 6 hours in order to save money. What you end up with is a nightmare of filling in plotholes/continuity and the client gets a reduced version of what they'd initially wanted.

Last edited:
I never did freelance jobs but now that i have conditions to do it (material and software) i'd like to try and win some extra money.

I've received an email from someone who want my services but i dont know what to reply to the question "how much you ask for one day of work?"

What you charge depends on your location, the local going rates and
your skill, talent and experience. And (of course) what you are doing.
You don't mention what your "services" are. Editing? Shooting? Audio?

The rates for audio on a documentary will be different than the rates
for an editor of a short film which will be different than the rates of a
camera operator on a wedding.

What does your competition charge? For the same work.

I'd like some guidance from you guys. If it's not too indiscreet a question, may i ask the value some of you ask for for your freelance jobs?
As an ENG shooter in my area I charge $450/$550 per day. As an editor
I charge $100/$150 per hour with a 10 hour minimum. I couldn't get
that for weddings. I wouldn't charge that for a no-budget short or music
video.

So AmateurD, what is it you do? How long have you been doing it?

Appreciate all the replies.

I think i'll have to take some time to think about it.

The job is for shooting and editing. Anyway i'm far from being a skilled person and the videos i made are not that professional looking.

At the level i am right now, i'd never ask for 1000$/1500$ as WhiteOpus said. I'm sure he is more experienced and skilled than i am, so it's a fair price.

It's a good idea to check how much other people are charging. I'll take a look and see if i can find anything about it.

Thanks.

Appreciate all the replies.

I think i'll have to take some time to think about it.

The job is for shooting and editing. Anyway i'm far from being a skilled person and the videos i made are not that professional looking.

At the level i am right now, i'd never ask for 1000$/1500$ as WhiteOpus said. I'm sure he is more experienced and skilled than i am, so it's a fair price.

It's a good idea to check how much other people are charging. I'll take a look and see if i can find anything about it.

Thanks.

I am by no means any "better" than you. I just realized how much time and effort goes into each project. If you're truly passionate about this, you're trying your hardest to make the best product possible. And that deserves big bucks (relatively)!

Don't make my mistake of charging too little at the beginning which results in your being known for your cheap prices even though your quality of work is going up constantly. Your previous clients tell future clients the price they paid, and then they think that's the price you always charge. Don't make your business an uphill battle before you even get momentum! Start with higher prices and people will understand how serious you are about making the best video possible for them.

Last edited:
Back