• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Director's Reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhMkqjnCQFI

After working on the site and resume, I realized my reel hadn't been updated in over 4 years. This is something I want to do for potential investors as we gear up for fundraising hard core. If they want to see some snippets of my other work in a shorter period of time, this is it. I'd probably also include the entire short RELATIONSHIP CARD as a follow up.

A director's reel is a tool to demonstrate a larger body of work in a short amount of time. You want to put your best foot forward. It's my opinion only, but I like to show some versatility too. I like a broad range of styles and looks, but I wanted to shed the look of my movies from 10 years ago as much as possible. I got rid of most of the work from over 5 years ago.

In the case of this particular reel, I still wanted to show 2 whole scenes to demonstrate storytelling abilities. The two best things I've got are a clip from HORRORS OF WAR, one of the very few things in the movie that I am entirely proud of and now from ACCIDENTAL ART, the short. There are snippets and samplings from various other projects, including my new web series, but that's for another time...

also seen here:
http://vimeo.com/16261895

This is a hybrid of the 2 main styles of "reels". Usually they are entirely montage, a collection of images from the best shots from your pieces, but that works better for a D.P. reel, not director. Other reels tend to be just 1-3 quick scene samples with dialogue and a few shots. I like the idea of showing scenes because I need to convey that I can direct actors and tell a story, so a montage of shots with no dialogue won't do that.

I wanted to combine all of that into one reel, but keep it as close to 3 minutes as I could. The shorter the better when it comes to Reels.

Thanks all.

Back