• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

5 reason to shoot in Black and White

I love black and white. Sets a mood of mystery to it and gives it a classic look. I didn't write classy (Clerks) but classic.
I would love to make a black and white film.

A Guy Who Must Be Really High said:
All of our modern day filming techniques had not yet evolved into the 21st century standard that we expect to see, which is why the average teen could not sit through a film like ‘Gone with the Wind’, with its heavy acting and theater like intermissions.

Dude.
smiley_bong.gif

That's a pretty broad brush you be paintin' with, and half your points makes no sense at all.

Still, it's interesting to see opinions. :)

Oh, btw... before colour television was invented, people could only dream in black & white. True fact.
smiley_colbert.gif

I love B&W as much as the next guy but I like control enough, I'll always shoot in color.
I can treat it however I like later but only if I gave myself all the handles I can have.

If distributors would accept black and white movies, I would never shoot in color.

That's going on my bulletin board.

For me, B&W is the default and I need to justify the decision to make something in color. I think for most its the opposite.

How would you film in black and white these days anyway? Do any of the mod cameras have a black and white mode or do you have to purchase a black and white tape?

I know still cameras have a black and white/sephia mode ... or do most mod cameras just offer color and hd? I mean, not too many folks are interested in black and whites.

Everything looks better in black and white.

Three wonderful interviews with Mel Brooks in which at some point he talks about filming in black and white on Young Frankenstein. Apparently he had a really hard time getting the studio to even do black and white because they had just gotten rid of most of their equipment for that and it would be more expensive. Thank god he has JUST made Blazing Saddles so he had a lot of box office clout to throw around.

http://ysos.sammigirl.com/interviews/entweekly5-00.html
http://ysos.sammigirl.com/interviews/playboy1975.html
http://ysos.sammigirl.com/interviews/modernmaturity1999.html

I hope you enjoy reading them, I find them super entertaining. :pop:

PS: I want what OP is smoking ;)

I adore black and white when it makes sense to use it. I don't think it should ever be disqualified as a potential medium for telling a story.

How would you film in black and white these days anyway? Do any of the mod cameras have a black and white mode or do you have to purchase a black and white tape?

I know still cameras have a black and white/sephia mode ... or do most mod cameras just offer color and hd? I mean, not too many folks are interested in black and whites.

No, there is no such thing as black and white tape. As Smurfy
said, you will “desaturate” in post production. And you would
never use the effects in camera. But there is MUCH more to it than
that.

You need to use light differently. Lighting for black and white is
very different than lighting for color. Art direction for black
and white is different. Costumes and makeup are different for
black and white.

You’re right, Libby. Not too many folks are interested in black
and white anymore. For me, someone who loves the look and the
feel, it’s disappointing.

black and white.

This is SO true! My hat is off to any cinematographer who can shoot b/w well. 99% of the stuff I see just looks like desaturated color footage -- flat and muddy. It's truly a dying craft.

Here's a Coppola interview on the black and white cinematography of his "Tetro:"

Q: La Boca, where you shot in Buenos Aires, is a very colorful area -- an unusual choice for a black and white movie.

A: Black and white is misunderstood. La Boca has the red, green, and blue, which may or may not be desirable, but it also has great textures. You don't often get to choose black and white because there's a real penalty to it, because television executives will only pay half to put a movie on television if it's in black and white."

Interestingly, 3 of the 5 shorts (including my film The Tank) at the 2nd program of shorts at the Detroit Independent Film Festival this year were black and white. It was great...usually I'm the only one.

But there is MUCH more to it than
that.

black and white.

That. Anyone should know or learn b4 making something in BW.

How difficult it would be then. To shoot in color and see it in screen in color but produce it in black and white and hope and pray it comes out well.
If all you have to go by is color then you had better know your stuff I guess. Too bad there isn't a way - maybe when youre using your mod camera and shooting in color you could have the camera connected to a black and white tv set (I guess you would have to scavenge the junk yard for that) and see it on a black and white tv to see if you have it down.

Right now I am watching a collection of Kurosawa films that I recorded on Tnt. So far they are all in black and white and I love it. Some movies are better off in black and white.

I think most digital video cameras have a b/w setting built-in. You should be able to switch to it with a menu setting. A very good idea if you have a DP who is inexperienced shooting b/w. The real masters are able to "see" in contrasts without being distracted by hues, but they are few and far between these days.

The only potential drawback with using the b/w setting on your camera is if you change your mind later on.

Back