• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Robot Dance Animation Feedback

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning on doing another computer animation project. Since I'm new to this site, I thought it'll be a good opportunity for me to get some feedback on my previous computer animation project I did. This way, I'll get an idea on what I can improve on or change on my next project.

Here's the link to my previous computer animation project called "Robot #7 Dance - Jabbawockeez"

https://youtu.be/efEzT_e0OQk

Kevin, that is definitely cool. The robot and how he moves look good. I think you should put a little more planning into the light spots and shadows. I'm trying to figure the "motivation" for the two light spots on the dumpster. One is from above and the one on the right looks like it is coming from ground level, pointed at the side. There is a shadow on top of the dumpster protrusion.

Anyway, I could see one streetlight in that alley. I'm not an animator, but I would have had it come down in one spot (like a spotlight) near where the robot is dancing, and then have the rest of the dumpster and scenery fall off into shadow. Maybe some ambient light coming from the main street, but not nearly as strong as the spot.

Not trying to sound nit picky, as I'm mostly making conversation, but it was the areas of light that nicely add to the imagery. And, how cool would it be to have the robot top and backlit, as he dances near shadows at the edge of the spot? Just some food for thought! :yes:

BTW, I see that you are in Utah. The creature in my avatar was for an indie feature that we shot near Fillmore, Utah.

Last edited:
Hey scoopicman,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, the scene is lit in a traditional 3-point lighting, a spotlight, a fill, and a back light. I also noticed everything you mentioned about the dumpster shine after it was rendered. I think part of the reason is that what I see on the screen was a little different when it's fully rendered. Also, I think I accidentally used the wrong "material" texture for the dumpster where it amplified the lighting.

Lighting acts a lot differently in computer animation. For instance, in real life, you can add gel in front of the lights to produce a subtle hue. In computer animation, it completely changes the light to the selected color. It can be frustrating working with lighting in computer animation. I do appreciate the feedback on the lighting though. Lighting isn't particularly my strong point, both animation and live. Along with music/sound in post, lighting is something I've been trying to improve on. The idea of the backlit shadow is genius. I'm going to see if I can pull it off during my next project.

I've never been to Fillmore. I'm a quite a ways north of that city. Pretty awesome that you shot in the state though!

Back