No more youtube revenue for us

Feb 20 marks the date of "no more revenue" for those of us who earn money on youtube. They have officially announced that as of Feb 20 2018 in order for you to earn money on you tube, you MUST have 1000 subscribers and 4000 views per year. If you do not have that, your videos will no longer be monitized. Do the math. Your video will need to get 11 hours of views per day to reach 4000 hours. And lets not even talk about having 1000 subscribers. And they continue: Once you reach 1000 subscribers, you must maintain that for one year, and THEN you can apply for "revenue partner" status. What a joy. First Amazon Prime lowers it's royalty by over half, and then youtube cuts it out altogether. Where can we make a buck...

...Where can we make a buck...

If this will happens, everyone who hasn't do so already will go to crowdfunding platforms like Patreon.

At least YouTube/(creators) won't shove adds down our throats and up our... with 99% of the videos. Or the adds will still be around, except that people won't be payed for soiling their videos with it. Some rumors even say that all videos will have adds on them in the near future.

Long live VIMEO!

I'm a very small time youtuber (IE a nobody). I only have 13,000 subscribers and get 5600 hours a month. I had around 75,000 hours last year. It's really not hard. I know what I make each month in revenue, when I started making it, as well as how many subs I had when I got to the point that I was getting a payout each month ($100 min). YouTube's new rules are not affecting that many people, just those looking to make a quick buck. If you have less than 1000 subs and are not getting 4000 hours a year, do you really think you'd be making any money for yourself or the platform??? I see these rules as a good thing. It gets rid of the wannabes and frees up more ad revenue for serious creators.

Last edited:
The official youtube video from "Mike" (the mouthpiece for youtube), tells us that over 90% of all youtubers earn less than $100 a year, so this DOES affect most of us. After TEN YEARS of you tube, I have 101,000 views, but only 76 subscribers. (Yes, you read that right, 76). I will NEVER EVER reach 1000 subscribers. Since you can't get paid until your account reaches $100, apparently (according to Mike himself), there are MILLIONS of people who will never receive monies earned...that's MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars that youtube will withhold from people who earned it. Personally, I have $83.00 coming. I could use it but I'll never get it. Anyone else?

Last edited:
You say that like they're spending your money. It's there for you, you just have to achieve it, and that's not hard to do, just takes time. I started my revenue channel 8 years ago. I uploaded two feature films and 5 episodes of a survival webseries I was starting. Since then I upload random filmmaking and survival videos (a bad decsion- I should just focus the channel on one subject, but I don't). It took 4 years to get my first payout.

"I will NEVER EVER reach 1000 subscribers" - I agree. Not with that attitude you won't.

I don't know what your channel consists of, but there's no reason you can't meet their standards and get your payout. Try to connect with your audience. Upload semi regularly (I only upload once every two months if that) Upload entertaining content.

When I look at my stats, half my income comes from the feature films, half comes from my survival series (12 episodes now). But 3/4 of my subs are people into survival and not into my film stuff. That tells me a lot about viewership. People will watch the artsy indie Christian (in my case) stuff, but don't expect repeat customers (subs) from that. Like I said, I don't know your channel, but maybe rethink the content you're producing or the audience you're trying to reach. It's not difficult.

You say that like they're spending your money. It's there for you, you just have to achieve it, and that's not hard to do, just takes time. I started my revenue channel 8 years ago. I uploaded two feature films and 5 episodes of a survival webseries I was starting. Since then I upload random filmmaking and survival videos (a bad decsion- I should just focus the channel on one subject, but I don't). It took 4 years to get my first payout.

"I will NEVER EVER reach 1000 subscribers" - I agree. Not with that attitude you won't.

I don't know what your channel consists of, but there's no reason you can't meet their standards and get your payout. Try to connect with your audience. Upload semi regularly (I only upload once every two months if that) Upload entertaining content.

When I look at my stats, half my income comes from the feature films, half comes from my survival series (12 episodes now). But 3/4 of my subs are people into survival and not into my film stuff. That tells me a lot about viewership. People will watch the artsy indie Christian (in my case) stuff, but don't expect repeat customers (subs) from that. Like I said, I don't know your channel, but maybe rethink the content you're producing or the audience you're trying to reach. It's not difficult.

that's cool you can upload content every two months and still get the new monthly views required
seems attainable. thanks for sharing

All that I'm saying is that it has literally taken me ten years to earn $83.00 (102,000 views), and I'd like to get paid. My channel merely consists of trailers for my films. There is no reason for me to have subscribers, as I add new videos maybe once a year. People watch it. They move on. No, I'm certainly not on youtube for the money, but I DID earn the $83.00 and I'd like to have it. It's only fair that youtube pays us off before they shut the door.

Since there are millions of dollars at stake, I'm sure that someone will file a massive class action lawsuit. But I don't have the time or money to get involved. I'm just making a lot of noise, and a LOT of other people are doing it too. AmazonTube is waiting in the wings. That is now a game changer for youtube.

you MUST have 1000 subscribers and 4000 views per year.

Technically, they want 4,000 HOURS of views per year. I have over 2,700+ subscribers and I am being booted off the program because of the 4,000 hours per year. Most of my content is under 2 minutes per video, so it's nearly impossible for me to get those kind of numbers.

Technically, they want 4,000 HOURS of views per year. I have over 2,700+ subscribers and I am being booted off the program because of the 4,000 hours per year. Most of my content is under 2 minutes per video, so it's nearly impossible for me to get those kind of numbers.

Sorry, you're right, it's hours, not views. How many hours per year are you getting?

I heard a lot of content creators are happy because this thwarts others from lifting their viral/trending material for a quick buck on a new channel, but I certainly hope that is not YT's reasoning, this is NOT good for the indie fillmmaker.

Sheesh! Filmmakers already make peanuts. This is like taking their peanuts away.

I certainly hope that is not YT's reasoning,

It has to do with advertisers being unhappy that ads wind up on controversial content. Because it's such an automated process, YouTube cannot manually oversee the process, so they would rather just limit who gets money so they can manage it all.

The final straw was that YouTuber who posted the suicide.

Back