• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Live at Home Mobster

This is a little short me and my friends made, if you are a big fan of mob movies or the sopranos you will likely get the jokes and think its funny. I apologize for the camera work it is terrible, at the time i literally knew nothing about cameras, all i knew how to do was focus it. I didnt film most of it anyways since i was one of the main characters. The reason i am posting this is because we are making a sequel and i cant wait to compare the cinematography and see the massive improvement. Anyways i hope you all like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTo7PSCcpnc

The first 33 seconds were quite good actually. The firehosing that followed the bathtub scene ended it for me. Didn't watch the rest. Still you're a bit ahead of the average filmmaker here.

PS: 10 minutes is way too long for newbies.

Good luck.

Not bad, although could be improved.

CUT IT DOWN. This type of comedy requires tight editing and snappiness. This draaaaggggeeeeddd. Some shots were a tad dark and could've been lightened. I didn't like the reflections on the television screen. Some shots needed white balancing too. Some of the outside shots were overblown. The focus was a bit "off" in some shots. The audio needed a little bit of work too. Perhaps some subtle references or almost unnoticeable jokes referencing Scorsese and DePalma might be cool.

Although I liked the concept, the acting, some of the cinematography, the soundtrack, and all the great references.

I don't agree 10 minutes is fine. It's not my fault people don't have attention spans. I know what your talking about when you say it drags. I'm assuming its the part where it establishes that he's an insane kid who wants to be a mobster really badly. Like the jack in the box scene and the scene with the play station.

The second episode will be able to avoid that and just jump into scenes that are similar to the poker scene. We also will have a bigger cast. Better camera and sound. As I stated before we made this a year ago and thanks for the camera advice but I already know the camera work is bad. Believe me it, disgusts me. I just wanted to know of people like the concept.

I don't agree 10 minutes is fine. It's not my fault people don't have attention spans.

Look, I (I wrote the comment about the film dragging) can deal with films that are paced "slowly". I do enjoy some films that take their time to develop mood and get the audience interested in the story. Some films are wonderful when made like that. One of my favorite films is Stranger than Paradise. Many people that have seen the film told me they thought it was "boring" and "unfunny". For some, it's a hard watch, but the pacing of the film fit the deadpan tone perfectly, just like Dr. Strangelove. But the type of comedy you are making, in my opinion, requires quick and snappy editing to be most effective.

The second episode will be able to avoid that and just jump into scenes that are similar to the poker scene. We also will have a bigger cast. Better camera and sound. As I stated before we made this a year ago and thanks for the camera advice but I already know the camera work is bad. Believe me it, disgusts me.

I just wanted to know of people like the concept.

It depends on how the concept is executed. I mean, what's the point of having an amazing idea or an Oscar-worthy screenplay if the director doesn't do it justice?

Hey Shootin Jack. I loved it!!

Yeah, the camera work, and lots of other things are not perfect. But so what? Those are things, you'll only get better at. I wouldn't worry about it. You know how to direct your actors, that's for sure. That's really what matters.

I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I'm a mob movie nut. But there are plenty of mob movie nuts around. They'll love it. You did great.

Cheers,
Aveek

Edit: On your youtube page, you got 88 likes (I just gave you one) and one dislike. I think people like the concept just fine. I miss The Sopranos. I'm dying for some content.

Last edited:
Look, I (I wrote the comment about the film dragging) can deal with films that are paced "slowly". But the type of comedy you are making, in my opinion, requires quick and snappy editing to be most effective.
Sorry to lump you in with the other comment. Yea i know what you mean tho, the quick cuts back and forth through dialogue are the best parts. Our next one is going to be just like that much faster pace, but probably 10 minutes long.

Hey Shootin Jack. I loved it!!
Edit: On your youtube page, you got 88 likes (I just gave you one) and one dislike. I think people like the concept just fine. I miss The Sopranos. I'm dying for some content.

Thanks a lot man im glad you liked it. Yea all our videos are like that i dont get it. i think there is one person who just dislikes everything, im not sure.

and yea i have really improved with the camera since then, i still have room for improvement tho. I can wait to post the sequal once we finish it. thanks for the support buddy

Sorry to lump you in with the other comment. Yea i know what you mean tho, the quick cuts back and forth through dialogue are the best parts. Our next one is going to be just like that much faster pace, but probably 10 minutes long.

No problem! Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I look forward to the next :yes:

Back