Neill Blomkamp is directing ‘Alien 5’...

...But he’s ignoring ‘Alien 3’ and ‘Alien Resurrection’.

Not sure how many of you saw this, but a few days ago, Neill Blomkamp announced via Twitter that he’s been signed to direct the next instalment in the Alien series. Now, in an interview, he’s stated that he’s working closely with Sigourney Weaver and that they plan to follow on directly from ‘Aliens’, ignoring the existence of ‘Alien 3’ and ‘Alien Resurrection’.

Neill Blomkamp directing is great news; he makes the type of Sci-Fi films I enjoy. But following on directly from ‘Aliens’ doesn’t sit well with me. Why do that? How can they expect fans to ignore those movies? Whether or not you like those movies, most fans accept them as part of the canon. They may wish they weren’t, but they accept that they are. They can’t just be erased from existence.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed ‘Alien 3’. I thought the gritty grimness of it all was excellent. ‘Alien Resurrection’ was daft. Why bring Ripley back? The same goes for ‘Alien 5’. Why bring her back? There are plenty of potential stories to be told, that don’t revolve around Ripley.

Here’s hoping they manage to make something decent of this.

This is good news. I'm a fan of Blomkamp's. I'm still waiting for district 10 where Wikus (Copley) gets the chance to become human again, and decides to stay alien (my version :) )

Why bring Ripley back?

Ripley is one of the greatest characters ever. For non-scifi lovers like myself, who're thinking the whole time, "well, how on earth did that little alien become so big after eating just one cat? or did it even eat the cat? It's shedding it's skin and becoming becoming bigger? eating what? this is stupid. why am I watching yet another sci fi movie? Why do I do this to myself?" And then the character of Ripley just shatters my crazy thoughts, and I'm back to watching the movie. For me Alien was all about Ripley. That's who I was connecting with at an emotional level. I didn't care about the Alien.

Ripley is one of the greatest characters ever. For non-scifi lovers like myself, who're thinking the whole time, "well, how on earth did that little alien become so big after eating just one cat? or did it even eat the cat? It's shedding it's skin and becoming becoming bigger? eating what? this is stupid. why am I watching yet another sci fi movie? Why do I do this to myself?" And then the character of Ripley just shatters my crazy thoughts, and I'm back to watching the movie. For me Alien was all about Ripley. That's who I was connecting with at an emotional level. I didn't care about the Alien.

Sure, Ripley’s a great character. But is she necessary for an Alien film to even work? I don’t think so. She’s dead; leave her be!

...how on earth did that little alien become so big after eating just one cat? or did it even eat the cat?

No. Jonsey survived.

Sure, Ripley’s a great character. But is she necessary for an Alien film to even work? I don’t think so. She’s dead; leave her be!

I don't know man. For someone like me, she's absolutely essential. I seriously don't enjoy sci-fis. And I absolutely love Alien. The weird nature of the Alien (birth, gestation, etc) was definitely interesting. But Ripley is the reason I love it. She's the human factor that makes the whole thing believable. I watched Alien vs Predator movies, but I can't even remember them. But I love Alien, and I love the first two Predators, because of the human factors involved. So from a general audience perspective, I think Ripley (Edit: or a character like her) is necessary. For sci-fi lovers, maybe not so much.

No. Jonsey survived.
haha. Yeah, I remember. I was wishing the Alien ate it. :D

Making an Alien movie without Ripley would be like making an Indiana Jones movie without Indiana Jones. She may not be in the title, but it's her movie. Also, I LIKE both Alien3 and Resurrection.

Whatever. I'm stoked to see a new one in the works, especially by someone as talented as Blomkamp, and double-especially because he's obviously a fanboy. :yes:

I think it's cool too. I haven't seen his other films. But I think District 9 proves he's qualified to make a good Alien movie.

Yeah I don't think too much about pretending Alien 3 or 4 didn't happen. But, at least it's not another tiresome, annoying reboot. Well, not exactly one of those. I also love the Ripley character as played by Weaver, and I'm not sad she'll be at the center(?) of the movie again.

I don't know. But I'll bet that she's helping to produce this film, as well. So that's a pretty excellent incentive to keep her beloved character involved.

I do regret their shunning the Alien 4 storyline, though. I still think the superhuman Ripley is awesome.

And there's no reason to think there won't more be Alien films in the future. Hopefully there will be time for future films and all new characters and new settings.

And who knows, maybe the Prometheus films will affect that as well.

I like all the Aliens myself.

Maybe they're doing away with Super-Ripley, because she's much older now, and they want to go with a different storyline that happens maybe before the Super-Ripley happened. However they do it, I'd love to see Ripley again.

I love Super-Ripley too. She was the dangerous Ripley, as opposed to the cautious Ripley.

Never mind.... Blomkamp ' backtracked. His original statement was "I want this film to feel like it's literally the genetic sibling of Aliens... So it's Alien, Aliens, and then this movie."

Now it's being reported that it will follow "Resurrection". So I guess the Ripley we see will be the Alien/Human hybrid.

Sooooooo not being a huge fan of the Alien series.... which one did Ripley have sexual relations with an alien? And will that be part of the story still?

Heh heh, no cross species breeding occurred.

The idea, if I understand it correctly, was that they wanted to salvage the alien that Ripley killed in Alien 3. To do that, they cloned Ripley and the alien she was carrying from whatever tissue they managed to find, I guess? A consequence of the process was that the cloned Ripley had some alien DNA mixed in her own DNA because they were unable to keep their genomes(?) entirely separate. That is to say, she was a human-alien hybrid. At the same time, the alien products of the process also ended up being alien-human hybrids.

So the already badass Ripely ends up being even more badass, having acquired some of the aliens' strengths.

:)

Heh heh, no cross species breeding occurred.

Are you sure? :yes:

Ripley with regular alien:

Ellen_Ripley_by_Kyky26.jpg

Ripley with the hybrid (human/alien) newborn:

Alien_Resurrection_kiss.jpg

That super-Ripley sure gets around! I quote: "Who do I have to f+*$ to get off this ship?"

Of course, I know that the newborn was a result of the mix of Ripley/alien queen DNA. The queen developed a womb, hence the newborn birth.

I'm looking forward to the new alien. Heck, I even want to see Blomkamp's CHAPPIE.

Technically, Ripley also had sexual relations with a face hugger before the events of "Alien 3", but that was non-consensual...

Back