Blood

I can't comment on your best bet for stage blood, as you're in the States and I'm in the UK. I've used a stage blood called 'Dempseys Film Blood'.

You need to think carefully about what blood recipe you end up using. There's tons of them on the internet; just Google it. But be aware of what you're putting in it. For example, most recipes for edible blood include food colouring. Be aware that this will stain clothes or fabrics. There's a number of washable blood recipes out there that suggest a water-based paint mix. This would be toxic if ingested. Just be aware of your ingredients, and realise that you'll probably need a few different mixes for different situations.

Most stage blood is both washable and non-toxic.

I'm trying to think of my old recipe. If I remember correctly I used Karo syrup as a base. Then added red food coloring, with a little bit of blue food coloring as to now allow for it to get "too" red. If if do this and it doesn't seem thick enough, add a little bit of dairy creamer. That seems to work well.

Any favorite realistic blood recipes? Any good brands of theatrical blood?

Clear corn syrup (Karo is one brand name)
Water
Red food color
Blue food color

Do several tests to find out the mixture you like best - it
usually takes only a drop or two of blue per quart. I use black
coffee rather than water to thin the syrup and make it more
opaque.

My recipe is similar to directorik's.

Corn syrup
LOTS of red food coloring
cocoa powder
just a touch of blue food coloring
water

Mix in that order. It can't be too red. Cocoa powder obviously darkens it, but also makes it less transparent (and makes it taste good). Blue makes it a more natural color, and water makes it flow like real blood (corn syrup is very thick).

Also, don't just do tests in real life. Do tests on camera. It looks different on camera.

Back