• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Into the moon - draft - first 5 pages

Here are the first five pages of a script I've written ( okay I'll still call it a draft). I copied it from my word document which means the style doesn't look perfect. So far my main focus have been dialogues and character development.

INTO THE MOON
By
S.K.

FADE IN:

INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY
Sean ( 85), a retired man sits on a worn out couch humming to a broken version of Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit".
Nathan ( 12 - boy) on his knees fills boxes with old books.
The floor is covered with boxes, books, records, a record player and old man's clothes. Nathan opens a book, gets up and turns off the record player. He looks at Sean.

NATHAN
  Shades of red, they came together on that day my heart was bleeding dry. Tears of sadness covering this emptiness and still I wonder why
Nathan sits down on the couch and stares into Sean's eyes
SEAN
And still I wonder why
NATHAN
You miss grandma, don't you, grandpa?
Sean looks outside. Red leaves fall from the trees. He takes a handkerchief out of his pocket, takes off his big glasses and wipes away his tears
NATHAN
My teacher asked me to read one of your poems in front of the class
SEAN
Really?
Sean pages through the book
SEAN
Then I'll get you a real nice one
Nathan grabs a photo stuck between two pages
NATHAN
Is this you and grandma?
Sean puts the photo in his pocket
NATHAN
I'll come visit you at the retirement home
SEAN
That's sweet
Sean wraps his arms around Nathan
NATHAN
I love you, grandpa. And today even a bit more than yesterday
SEAN
What's so special about today, Nathan?
NATHAN
October the fifth. It's been a year since gran...
Sean gets up and runs out of the living room. Nathan gets up and stands in the doorway
NATHAN
Grandpa, did I say anything wrong
Nathan watches his grandpa leave the street.

EXT. PARKING PLACE – NIGHT
Full moon.
Sean ( 25), a student with medium long blonde hair, wearing ripped jeans, a black AC/DC t-shirt and speaking with a deep laid back voice, drives up a crowded parking place adjacent to a wood surrounded by trees.
The place is full of fallen, colored autumn leaves.
He parks his rusty and noisy white car next to Valerie’s black Mercedez Benz.
Motors roar as all other cars exit the parking area.
Valerie ( 25), a woman with dark long hair wearing a black designer dress. She speaks rapidly with a coarse French accent. She gazes at Sean and smiles.
Sean turns up the volume of his radio, bangs his head and moves his shoulders and fingers to "smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana. Sean opens up his window.
Valerie sighs, takes an eyeliner out of her make up bag and applies it to her eyes as she looks in the mirror

SEAN
  Wanna dance?
Valerie opens her window
VALERIE
Only to Britney, dude
Valerie turns on her radio and moves her arms to the sound of Britney's "you drive me crazy"
SEAN
That is so against the law
Sean wears a cap and turns off the radio.
VALERIE
Is this the police's new dress code?
Valerie turns off her radio. Sean scratches his head
SEAN
I'm offended, young lady
Valerie puts up her middle finger
VALERIE
Get the fuck out of my way
SEAN
I'm sorry but
VALERIE
What is it you want from me, huh?
Sean pulls up his head
SEAN
Your ID
Valerie fiddles with her boobs, then opens her bag and gives the papers to Sean. Her hands shake.
SEAN
Valerie Leroy, sounds kind of French. I'm Sean
Sean gives Valerie's papers back, Valerie puts them in her bag
VALERIE
I know I'm not allowed to park here after 6 but understand my boyfriend is coming back from Switzerland, counting his bucks and I've used up all his money available in only 5 days
Valerie takes fashion magazines out of her Gucci bag and pages through it.
VALERIE
You must have heard of Gucci, Strelli, Fendi, Versace, Dior? Kinda hard to make a choice
SEAN
I understand, but could you answer my question?
Valerie puts the magazine in her bag and sticks out her hands briefly, then grabs her steering wheel.
VALERIE
Am I arrested? Ok, Valerie, just drive
Valerie puts her foot on the accelerator. The motor roars but the car remains stationary.
SEAN
What the fuck
VALERIE
I can't run faster than you, but my car, it will race
Sean puts up his hands in the air
SEAN
Hey relax, I just wanted to dance
Valerie stops her car
VALERIE
I thought it was against the law
SEAN
Against the law of grunge
VALERIE
Does that mean you're not uh?
Valerie gets out of her car and gives Sean a hug and kiss near his mouth. It leaves a lipstick mark.
VALERIE
Oops, I'm sorry
Valerie takes a handkerchief out of her bag and cleans Sean's face. She throws it away. Sean looks to the floor
SEAN
It's not as illegal as parking our cars over here
Valerie grabs Sean by the hand. Sean doesn't move.
VALERIE
Why don't we go to a pub, have a drink or two cause it would be kinda strange to have one drink for two
SEAN
We could stay here. Enjoy the moonshine, it's freakingly inspiring
VALERIE
Can I get into your car?

The next five pages:

Valerie gets into Sean's car and sits next to him.
SEAN
Why are you doing this to me?
VALERIE
What?
Valerie pulls back
SEAN
You're such a beautiful lady and I'm just...
VALERIE
Oh my God, you must check your looks in the mirror
Valerie grabs Sean's head and makes him look into the rear view mirror. Sean moves away the mirror from his face and looks into Valerie's eyes
SEAN
How did a French girl end up here?
VALERIE
My parents started a jewellery shop in the city when I was fifteen
Sean gazes into Valerie's eyes
SEAN
Moi, j'adore your accent
VALERIE
You kinda remind me of the 15 year old Valerie
SEAN
The one struggling with our language?
VALERIE
The one feeling out of place and being called French
SEAN
Valerie, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings
Valerie smiles
VALERIE
You can say what you like, I'm just not gonna drive away this time
SEAN
Guess you're stuck with me, petite française
VALERIE
That's cute
SEAN
How about your boyfriend? Isn't he?
VALERIE
He's not cute. He's rich and you're definitely not...
SEAN
Rich?
VALERIE
His name is Richard. Do you have a girlfriend?
SEAN
  Yes, I'm actually waiting for her. She’s coming home from this pilgrimage in France
VALERIE
Is she a nun?
Valerie opens her eyes
SEAN
No
Sean laughs out loud
SEAN
Anna is very religious. Sometimes she needs that time with God to rethink our relationship. Pretty refreshing for our sex lives as well
VALERIE
Those nuns teach her about sex
Sean laughs out even louder
SEAN
Nah, not really. It's more a form of reincarnation
VALERIE
As a goddess of sex?
SEAN
It does open up some sort of heaven
VALERIE
Opening up? I thought nuns are only closing shops
Sean frowns his eyebrows
VALERIE
I mean...down under
Valerie touches her dress down under, shocking Sean
SEAN
Have you been to Australia?
VALERIE
No, why?
SEAN
Never mind, must be my fascination with down under girls
Valerie raises her voice
VALERIE
That's gross. I want to have this deeper conversation and all you care about is...
SEAN
Australia?
Valerie sighs loudly
VALERIE
I think I better go
Valerie opens up the car's door and leaves the car
SEAN
Valerie, I didn't mean too offend you
VALERIE
I can't speak on your level. It's better for me to leave
SEAN
Valerie, I don't know what it is, but something tells me you really need to stay
Valerie gets back into the car and sits closer to Sean
VALERIE
Alright, can we have sex?
SEAN
Uh....no
VALERIE
What is it that whenever I meet a handsome guy he thinks I'm cute, nice, gentle, but in the end it's just bla bla bla I can say for sure. You don't need a pair of brains to get laid
SEAN
Valerie, please! I'm engaged, you have a boyfriend. But this encounter probably has its deeper meaning
VALERIE
So now you're talkin 'bout a deeper meaning and don't want to find out how much depth I can offer

You need to include more action text so we can understand movement in the conversation, I hope they aren't just staring at each other intently this whole time?

Also I'd look up formatting for Spec Script so that it'd be easier for us to read, as well to not look like an amateur to whoever you pitch these too. A program like Celtx Desktop or Adobe Story could help you very much.

Thanks, I've just created my personal celtx account. I just need to learn how to describe actions when there's no more action than two people talking while sitting in a car.

Last edited:
I wanted to post a scene from my Celtx account ( tried to make the conversation more natural but all I got was this. Celtx makes it looks professional but I do want to be able to copy it to some other files as a back up but it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I get:

Code:
EXT. PARKING PLACE - NIGHTFull moon.Sean ( 25), a student with medium long blonde hair, wearing ripped jeans, a black AC/DC t-shirt and speaking with a deep laid back voice, drives up a crowded parking place adjacent to a wood surrounded by trees.The place is full of fallen, colored autumn leaves.He parks his rusty and noisy white car next to Valerie's black Mercedez Benz.Motors roar as all other cars exit the parking area.Valerie ( 25), a woman with dark long hair wearing a black designer dress. She speaks rapidly with a coarse French accent. She gazes at Sean and smiles.Sean turns up the volume of his radio, bangs his head and moves his shoulders and fingers to "smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana. Sean opens up his window.Valerie sighs, takes an eyeliner out of her make up bag and applies it to her eyes as she looks in the mirror  SEAN  Wanna dance?Valerie opens her windowVALERIETo this kind of trashSean waves his hands and looks into Valerie's eyesSEANWhat's wrong with Kurt*Valerie turns on her radio and moves her arms to the sound of Britney's "you drive me crazy"SEANNow that's against the lawSean wears a cap and turns off the radio. Valerie puts her right hand on her mouthVALERIEAre you a police officer?SEANWhat do you reckon?Valerie stares at Sean's outfitVALERIESo that's the police's new dress code?Valerie turns off her radio. Sean scratches his headSEANI'm offended, young lady

1. Get is poor diction and should NEVER be used outside of dialogue and even avoided there if possible.

2. Specifying a copyrighted song makes studios bolt for the door - you're writing a blank cheque to Nivana on their bank account in effect.

3. Same problem as above with AC/DC T-shirt.

4. "you drive me crazy" - Well, that's the production budget bust on royalties in just a couple of pages.

5. The place is full of fallen, colored autumn leaves.- Poor, unimaginative description (you can do better than that!)

6. Boobs is slang and poor diction.

7. Why does it have to be a Gucci bag? Would you really fight the studio ifshe had a Ralph Lauren bag? Over-descriptive and a liability to the studio.

8. Where the fuck ... missing question mark

9. Missing full stops all over the place!

10. 5 days should be five days.

11. Conversation wanders a bit. Needs to be tightened up a tad.

In general, not too bad a start. I actually felt a little disappointed that I could not read more. Could work out!

Keep going!

1. Get is poor diction and should NEVER be used outside of dialogue and even avoided there if possible.

2. Specifying a copyrighted song makes studios bolt for the door - you're writing a blank cheque to Nivana on their bank account in effect.

3. Same problem as above with AC/DC T-shirt.

4. "you drive me crazy" - Well, that's the production budget bust on royalties in just a couple of pages.

5. The place is full of fallen, colored autumn leaves.- Poor, unimaginative description (you can do better than that!)

6. Boobs is slang and poor diction.

7. Why does it have to be a Gucci bag? Would you really fight the studio ifshe had a Ralph Lauren bag? Over-descriptive and a liability to the studio.

8. Where the fuck ... missing question mark

9. Missing full stops all over the place!

10. 5 days should be five days.

11. Conversation wanders a bit. Needs to be tightened up a tad.

In general, not too bad a start. I actually felt a little disappointed that I could not read more. Could work out!

Keep going!

Thanks, I guess the Nirvana-Britney music could be replaced by an original soundtrack. Just two totally different songs would do. You can always read more, feel free to contact me. What would you add to describe the place?

Last edited:
Back