• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Token" plot for short screenplay

Hey guys, this might be a crass question that will get some fingers waved at, but noless:

I'm entering in a short film competition (7 minutes or less) which I will be filming with my Panasonic GS150. I am mostly into cinematography, so my question is, What are some very basic plots that could work well for my film? They would preferably require only basic, easy-to-find settings and props (we're looking at essentially no budget here), and a minimal number of talents. This might be a terrible way to go about making this film (if so, please tell me), but I'm looking for a simple plot simply to knit together what I hope to be a series of beautiful, technical, and original compositions for the shots. Preferably, the plot would be somewhat abstract, and contain little physical action. If there's any websites that list basic/template plots, that would be awesome as well. Thanks so much for the help.

edit: lol, for those who care, I forgot and used the words "film" and "filming" again. Clearly, there will be no "filming" going on with by gs150.

I don't think anyone here is that anal about "filming" are they? We all know what you mean.

No finger waving from me - but I don't think there is such a thing as a templet for plots other than setup-conflict-resolution. And that doesn't help much, does it? Since you're primary goal is to do a series of beautiful, technical, and original compositions, maybe you should consider shooting a music video.

There might be a local band who would grant you the rights to a song. There are dozens of web sites devoted to unsigned bands - you could find a song you like and contact them. There are several composers right here on the boards who offer their music - maybe one of them has a short instrumental piece they would be willing to let you use.

Have you ever seen Richard Lester's film "A Hard Days Night"? If you haven't, you should rent it. You could do something like the "This Boy" sequence - a series of shots of a guy walking around the town, goofing off. Maybe a romantic montage of a couple on a day out. Maybe someone being chased by something - though you did mention you don't want physical action.

There has been some discussion about writing short film scripts here. Some think the writer should be paid several thousand for a short and some think doing it for the experience is enough. Ask around - you might find a writer with a short script who doesn't have the resources to make the movie but would love to see it made.

The 36 Dramatic Situations...

Baddox said:
Hey guys, this might be a crass question that will get some fingers waved at, but noless:

I'm entering in a short film competition (7 minutes or less) which I will be filming with my Panasonic GS150. I am mostly into cinematography, so my question is, What are some very basic plots that could work well for my film? They would preferably require only basic, easy-to-find settings and props (we're looking at essentially no budget here), and a minimal number of talents. This might be a terrible way to go about making this film (if so, please tell me), but I'm looking for a simple plot simply to knit together what I hope to be a series of beautiful, technical, and original compositions for the shots. Preferably, the plot would be somewhat abstract, and contain little physical action. If there's any websites that list basic/template plots, that would be awesome as well. Thanks so much for the help.

edit: lol, for those who care, I forgot and used the words "film" and "filming" again. Clearly, there will be no "filming" going on with by gs150.
While I wouldn't feel comfortable coming up with my own idea for a plot to tell someone to create, there is a tool you can use to "discover" your own plot...

It's called:

THE 36 DRAMATIC SITUATIONS

It was created sometime during the 1700s by an Italian playwright named, Carlo Gozzi.

It's a great little reference to come up with your own plot and storyline...

HERE THEY ARE:

1. SUPPLICATION
Asking or begging for help. This is where your protagonist seeks the help of someone to help him or solve his or her dilemma.

2. DELIVERANCE
Rescuing or being rescued. This doesn't have to necessarily be in a physical manner.

3. CRIME PURSUED BY VENGEANCE
A crime has been committed and the protagonist seeks revenge. Pretty clear.

4. VENGEANCE TAKEN FOR KINDRED UPON KINDRED
Fighting within the family. Maybe your father, mother, sister, or brother did something to you or someone else in the family and your protagonist seeks revenge.

5. PURSUIT
Being pursued or pursuing someone or something. Again, doesn't have to necessarily be tangible.

6. DISASTER
Could be acts of God or nature or, it could be something completely personal and disastrous only to your Protagonist.

7. FALLING PREY TO CRUELTY OR MISFORTUNE
This is when someone gets hurt and or destroyed by someone else or even by fate.

8. REVOLT
Any kind of revolt... Physical, mental, or spiritual.

9. DARING ENTERPRISE
Where your Protagonist does something adventurous and bold. Think Indiana Jones, National Treasure.

10. ABDUCTION
Could be either kidnapping someone or being kidnapped or even forced or dragged into something against your will. Could even be mental or brainwashed as if from a cult.

11. THE ENIGMA
Solving a mystery or riddle. Getting to the bottom of something.

12. OBTAINING
Obtaining something or trying to obtain something i.e., physical, psychological, etc.

13. ENMITY OF KINSMEN
Extreme animosity or even hatred within the family.

14. RIVALRY OF KINSMEN
Usually a rivalry between family members and usually between brothers. Think LEGENDS OF THE FALL.

15. MURDEROUS ADULTERY
Doesn't have to be specifically about sex. Could simply be a company employee having a relationship with another company employee. Taboo. Of course it just as well could be about sex... Think THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

16. MADNESS
Any kind of madness... From being actually crazy or mentally deranged to quirky.

17. FATAL IMPRUDENCE
Where your Protagonist does something so stupid or so unwise that it gets him or her into serious trouble, often fatal consequences.

18. INVOLUNTARY CRIMES OF LOVE
Specifically relates to incest without your knowledge. Think LONESTAR. Can also be done as a metaphor.

19. SLAYING OF A KINSMAN UNRECOGNIZED
When a character kills someone that turns out to be a family member. Usually when a brother kills a brother but didn't know it was his brother till it was too late.

20. SELF-SACRIFICE FOR AN IDEAL
Where your Protagonist puts him or herself on the line for an ideal or belief. Could be actually sacrificing one's life or giving up something extremely important...

21. SELF-SACRIFICE FOR KINDRED
Where the Protagonist is willing or actually does sacrifice him or herself for their family or someone in the family. Can also be metaphorical.

22. ALL SACRIFICED FOR A PASSION
Where your Protagonist RISKS EVERYTHING for his or her passion. Even to the extreme of sacrificing one's home and family. Think MOSQUITO COAST.

23. NECESSITY OF SACRIFICING LOVED ONES
Could be sacrificing someone you love as well as betraying someone you love. Selling someone out.

24. RIVALRY OF SUPERIOR AND INFERIOR
Just what it says... Someone who is superior battling it out with someone who's inferior although, in this case, superiority and inferiority is subjective. The inferior character could ultimately win because maybe his or her inferiority was simply wealth as opposed to morality.

25. ADULTERY
Self explanatory I hope... LOL.

26. CRIMES OF LOVE
Violations as well as perceived violations usually sexual in nature but not necessarily the rule.

27. DISCOVERY OF THE DISHONOR OF A LOVED ONE
Finding out that someone close to you (a loved one) has betrayed you, is a criminal, or simply not trustworthy.

28. OBSTACLES TO LOVE
Lots of ROMANTIC COMEDIES use this situation... Basically ANYTHING that stands in the way of a relationship. Could be pretty much anything. Parents, money, job, etc. Think MONSTER IN LAW.

29. AN ENEMY LOVED
Falling in love or even extreme fascination with the enemy. Think SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, TROY, BLADE RUNNER.

30. AMBITION
Where a character's ambition overrides everything in his her life and this character is willing to pretty much do ANYTHING to achieve his or her desire(s).

31. CONFLICT WITH A GOD
Again, doesn't actually have to be a conflict with God or a God. Could be a conflict with someone extremely powerful. Could be as small as a conflict with the bully at school or as large as a conflict with the President of the United States.

32. MISTAKEN JEALOUSY
When a character's jealousy is completely UNFOUNDED.

33. ERRONEOUS JUDGEMENT
As small as poor choices to as large as making a call for the entire country. Any choice or assessment made by a character that turns out to be bad. Maybe even based on wrong information.

34. REMORSE
Someone feeling remorse for something they did. Think LEVITY. Could also be the exact opposite i.e., the lack of remorse.

35. RECOVERY OF A LOST ONE
Finding someone that's been lost. Could be from a kidnapping, a cult, could even be metaphorically speaking...

36. LOSS OF LOVED ONES
Self explanatory. Losing someone you love. Could be loss through death, moving away, promotion, ambition, success, failure, etc. Can also be the loss of SOMETHING you really love instead of an actual person.

--Hopefully, there's a situation from the list that will spark an idea or two for you...

Good luck!

filmy

Wow, thanks for the enlightening responses. I find the 36 dramatic situations fascinating, especially coming from 100s of years ago (that stuff just doesn't go out of style). I think these replies will certainly help me build a good foundation for this film, which is due Dec. 15. I will no doubt announce the film here at IndieTalk, so hopefully some of you guys will check it out. By the way, I have added "Hard Day's Night" to my Netflix queue. As always, thank you.

Back