• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sci Fi Film with Religious Allegories

So I'm working on the screenplay for my feature film which is a sci-fi space thriller in the survival genre. It involves a religious character who is partially responsible for the end of the world but she doesn't know it has ended nor her role. Her rescuer is an atheist but is spiritual in the sense he is trying to make sense of the end, especially the loss of his family. (End of world is brought on by a fusion research project.)

I mentioned to friends it would be interesting to have the religious person explore her beliefs about the end of the world. Namely, that since it was prophesized that God intended her to play her part and she isn't evil for doing so. The rescuer will actually use his knowledge of religion to convince her of this and specifically through the Revelation of John's interpretation -- that a new world would arise after, therefore since she survived she is meant to continue to the new world (an alien world).

She also faces death many times including a long period of clinical death where she doesn't experience any bright lights or comforting images that cause her to fear and doubt the afterlife. Ironically, the atheist (as a decent human being) consoles her and even prays for her.

The idea was to attempt some bridge between religious and secular values, and the end message was that humanity has matured enough to go on without God in the new world, that they could remain moral and spiritual. It's sort of inspired by Pope Francis who I admire.

Some of my friend's responses were odd to me. Some expressed just never mix religion and sci fi. They aren't really religious themselves. Personally, I feel comfortable talking about religion.

Love to hear people's thoughts on this for a sci fi film. Thanks!

Quotes from Albert Einstein

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

"When the solution is simple, God is answering."

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish."

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailty."

"I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil."

There's a lot more; obviously Einstein did not find a discongruity between science and religion.

Except when names like these are involved...? Making statements like that, people will think you're not terribly familiar with history. :)
I have to agree. I feel many religious scientists felt that science was a pursuit or deciphering of God's plan. Of course you will always find literally minded religious zealots who can't appreciate science. I think many moderate religious people are open to science for explaining many things but still turn to religion for that which science cannot explain.

I think maybe I can use the above as part of her character arc.

I've been researching Pope Francis' widely reported statements that atheists could also find redemption. I took his message to be that non-believers can do good and that it was a very inclusionary message. And it was good to see many atheists appreciate his message wholeheartedly. I was of course appalled to see many religious conservatives rip that message apart by making sure people knew he didn't mean that atheists still couldn't enter heaven. Nice....

The people in history involved in science were intellectuals. Because they were smarter than others they moved away from religion faster than others. Today times have changed and a lot of people have separated themselves completely from everything that religion stands for. And my opinion is that the further away from religion sci-fi goes, the better. The further away from history, -practically the same. Just an opinion. Nothing against religious people.

Go ahead and make a mixed gene film. It's been done before and will be done again.

I am mixing science fiction with magic. That is no worse than a comedy/ horror and that's been done already.

I have an end of the world series with cyborgs who leave Earth after the humans nuke it to return with the means to recreate Earth better than before with alien help and the help of the Great Mother goddess, Artemis. According to the ancient Amazons who historians believe really existed, Artemis created the Universe.

Today, she is simply known as The Goddess.

My historical version may offend Greeks and Romans who adopted Artemis into their own religions. But then, I show them how the Amazons saw her as their Great Mother of th Universe, and they may say, "Well, look who is saying this." And, I say, "Exactly my point." The ancient Amazons are considered one of the oldest of the old world civilizations. And, Artemis is considered one of the oldest deities of the ancient world.

Back