• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Mystery Character" Introduction?

In "High Plains Drifter", we have a supposed main character mysteriously riding around on a horse. Nothing is known about this character other that he's rough looking, dusty, well-seasoned and riding around on a horse in desert-like conditions. We don't get very much information at all until past the 3 minute mark where the audience sees a crusty wooden sign post which reads "LAGO". As more time passes we get more subtle information regarding this character like when Clint quickly turns his head after one of the town folk snaps a whip to gat a wagon rolling. Matter of fact, it's over 5 minutes into the movie before Clint utters the words, "Beer ...and a bottle".

Everywhere I look regarding screenplays you get the first 10 minutes of a screenplay to properly sell it. In "High Plains Drifter", half of this time has already been spent with Clint merely riding around in a desert getting from point A to point B. Now, I'm NOT saying this is wrong as this movie is one of my all-time favorites. Clint's mere presence on the screen in the way he is depicted commands the audience's attention. ...But it does raise some scripting questions. I can't find an online script for "High Plains Drifter", so I have to ask:

(Q1) Would you as a script writer keep the intro short and sweet by just writing down the bare essentials (i.e., Mysterious man rides on horseback into a desert town named Lago.)? Hell, this one quick line of text could technically sum up three minutes of movie time based on the final product. ...Or do you use three pages of colorful descriptions and crafty build up techniques to keep the script in line with the timing in the movie?

(Q2) We don't know who Clint Eastwood's character is throughout the entire movie. His name is never mentioned. I saw a segment of script online where he is referred to as "The Stranger". What do you do when you want to keep your main character mysterious for an extended period of time? How do you write it? On one hand you want to provide this information for the script reader ...but on the other hand, you want to build up some suspense.

(Q3) Let's say Clint Eastwood's character was actually named "Pete" and we find this out at the very end of the movie. Would you start off your spec script right from the very start with "Pete rides into a desert town on a horse"? ....or do you keep him a mystery throughout the script just like in the movie and not reference the name PETE until he is addressed as Pete?

NOTE: I read a scrip for the movie "ALIEN". I noticed that the first character to be awakened on the space craft (Kane) has his named mentioned right from the very start. Others who are awakened are written like this:

INT. HYPERSLEEP VAULT

Two more lids pop open.
A pair of men sit up.
Look at each other.

...After this, their names are mentioned. So we have one character fully introduced from the very start and others being "described" prior to their introductions within the same script. ....Confusing!

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Birdman

This article details how some pro screenwriters handle character introductions - shows various different ways/styles (it's a good read):

http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/character-intros.php

In relation to Q2, I'd use 'The Man' or something similar then once the person reveals their name, you can start using it in their character description. If you called him THE MAN, then the next time he speaks once his name is revealed you would have: PETE (THE MAN). Just use the brackets once, helps a reader understand the transition in case they forget, or e.g. the reveal happens then the person does not speak for x pages. This is a known (and approved) screenwriting technique for handling unknown/mysterious character reveals.

For Q3, well that's directly related to Q2, and mostly answered by Q2.

Last edited:
IndiePaul,

That is an excellent read! I particularly enjoyed the description of Shawshank's Warden SAMUEL NORTON.

Part of my problem is my main character is in a space suit for several pages at the beginning of the script. I can describe the space suit ...but the character doesn't emerge until many happenings later.

In "Book of Eli" they have ELI announced very early on even though he's wandering around in the wilderness. There is no mention of his name nor does he speak for quite some time. ....I guess it all depends on your situation?

Thanks for your help,

-Birdman

Back