• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Production Sound (Gain Staging)

When I first joined this board one of the mods suggested creating an audio FAQ or glossary. There are so many facets to audio production and post production that I shied away from the idea but said I would, when I had the time, create posts with useful info. I posted one a couple of days ago about stereo in the post-production forum and here is another. In other posts I (and other audio pros) have had occasion to mention gain staging or proper gain staging. It occurred to me that most people here would have only a vague idea of what gain staging is and as it is at the heart of the production sound mixer's job, I thought it would be a good idea to explain it.

To understand gain staging we first have understand SNR. Using the recording dialogue to explain: The Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) would be defined as the difference between the peak level of the loudest piece of dialogue and the peak level of the noise floor (background noise on set). We obviously always want to maximise the SNR because we want the noise floor to be as far away from the quietest dialogue level as possible. If they're too close together, the quiet dialogue will sound noisy and if the dialogue is at (or below) the noise floor it will be unintelligible or inaudible.

Gain staging is effectively the act of fitting a number of Signal to Noise Ratios (SNRs) inside one other.

SNR 1: The initial/first SNR we have to deal with is the one already described above, on set. At this point, the maximum range or "window" our SNR covers is fixed, it cannot be increased until we get to post production (with tools such as expanders, noise reduction software or EQ). However, our SNR window can and will be decreased! The goal is to decrease it as little as possible using correct gain staging.

SNR 2: The mic we use to record with will have it's own internal SNR which we may need to consider (especially with cheaper mics) but more important is where we place it. The closer to the sound source (in this case the actor's mouth) we can get the mic, the more signal we will record, thereby minimising the reduction of the SNR window already defined by SNR 1. Obviously we can't usually get very close to the actors mouth, so shotgun mics with tight pickup patterns are usually invaluable but then you need to be that much more precise with where you position and point the mic, which is why a good boom operator is so invaluable. We now have a new SNR, with a new, smaller window which as with SNR 1, can only be decreased further until post. How big this new SNR window is will depend on the skill of the boom op, the situation he/she is faced with and to an extent the quality of the mic and boom.

SNR 3: The signal output from a mic is tiny and would be near or even below the internal noise floor of our recording device (SNR 4), so we need to amplify it quite considerably with a Mic Pre-Amp. The essence of using a mic-pre is therefore defined by amplifying our signal to a level suitable for use downstream (recording), while adding as little noise as possible. It's fully understanding this statement which trips up so many inexperienced and even quite a few experienced production sound mixers. In other words, what constitutes a suitable level for recording (answered in SNR 4) and, what noise is added by a mic-pre? There are essentially two types of noise added by all mic-pre's: 1. It's own internal noise floor and 2. Overdrive distortion. The production sound mixer's job is to capture as much of the SNR 2 window as possible by finding the optimum point between the mic-pre's two types of noise. BTW, we are still in the analogue domain so this overload distortion doesn't suddenly happen but starts inaudibly and increases proportionately as we increase the mic-pre's gain. It will take practise, testing and experience to discover this optimum point for the individual make/model of mic-pre. Obviously, the more expensive mic-pre's will offer a bigger window of opportunity, by having a lower noise floor and achieving higher output levels before overload distortion. The nominal output (line) level for mic-pres should be +4dBu, which any mic-pre must be able to output without audible distortion. Top of the line mic-pres can go as high as +18dBu without distortion becoming noticeable.

These dBu figures become important when we get to the recording stage (SNR 4). The Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC) takes the signal from our mic-pre/mixer and as the name suggests, converts it to digital data for storage. How this analogue input (mic-pre/mixer) level corresponds to the digital level depends on how the ADC is calibrated. For film (worldwide) and TV (in many countries) +4dBu would equal -20dBFS (European TV: +4dBu = -18dBFS). What this means is that even with the very best mic-pres money can buy, we are going to start adding distortion at about -6dBFS (+18dBu). And, considerably lower than this for not so high end mic-pres.

In other words, in pretty much all cases a signal peak of -6dBFS is on the limit or more likely some way outside of our optimal SNR window for our mic-pre! Providing we are calibrated to film standards the optimum level for our mic-pre is going to be around -20dBFS with peaks at around -12dBFS but what about the optimum level for our recording device:

SNR 4: In the days of tape recorders, the SNR was little more than 70-80dB, it was standard practice to record "in to the red" (the red line being set at 0VU = +4dBu) to get the signal as hot as possible and as far away from the noise floor of the tape machine as possible because all mixing processes in audio post would add further noise and we would run out of SNR. Even recording as hot as possible wasn't enough though and additional noise reduction was required when the final mix was printed to film (Dolby Noise Reduction). With 16bit digital, the noise floor was lowered, providing a SNR of over 90dB and providing we still recorded near the red line we no longer needed the addition of Dolby NR.

24bit recording was a huge leap forward, so big a leap, it actually exceeds the limits of the laws of physics! In reality there is no such thing as a 24bit converter, although 24bit ADCs output 24bit files there is not 24bits of digital audio signal stored in those files. This is because even with a theoretically perfect circuit design (which is impossible), the noise of electrons colliding inside the resistors and capacitors is considerably louder than the noise floor of 24bit digital! The best ADCs money can buy use about 20bits and the limits of the laws of physics would be about 22bits.

So, all those people out there advocating recording as hot as you can are over a decade out of date, those days are over! Recording as hot as you can (the SNR window) should now be defined by the optimal performance of the mic-pres, because the SNR window of mic-pre's output is going to be several hundreds of times smaller than that of the recording medium (24bit). Even if your recording peaks no higher than -20dBFS, in 24bit the SNR window defined by your mic-pre is not going to be affected.

One last point, something we have to be careful of is that most "stand alone" ADCs (and DACs) are designed for music use and are usually calibrated to +4dBu = -18dBFS, -16dBFS or even -14dBFS not the film/TV standard of -20dBFS and will therefore need recalibrating!

Hope this was useful?

G

Last edited:
I should really look into this as I am increasingly producing a lot of content for radio.
Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, radio is a different kettle of fish because they have to deal with CDs and music productions and there have never been any digital audio standards or specs for music production (any format) apart from not exceeding 0dBFS. However, it might be that the ITU 1770 recommendation, adapted into the ATSC A85 specs for TV broadcast inline with the CALM act, will be applied to radio broadcast. I have no idea though, last time I did any work for radio broadcast was about 20 years ago! It would certainly be worth checking out to be sure.

My previous post only applies to A/V content. Yep, I remember -9dBFS peak limits on time-coded DATs. Believe it or not, that spec still partially exists today with some broadcasters but it is being superseded by average loudness specs and peak limits measured in dBTP (True Peak) rather than dBFS.

BTW, I know it seems counter intuitive that a filter (and other attenuating processes) can increase output level. I could explain but I would have to delve into the guts of digital audio theory to some extent and I'm sure you'd find it way too boring!

G

this is one post where I find that I'm lost a lot of the time, so please bear with my noob questions.

SNR 1: Understood
SNR 2: Understood

SNR 3: What is a 'mic Pre-Amp?' Is it a separate device, or does my microphone come with it?

Microphones I own:
2 Sennheiser lavs: SENNHEISER EW112P G3-A
1 Avantone Audio CK-1
1 EM320E
1 Audiotechnica 835b

I don't even dare get into the dbu discussion before I get my head around pre-amps.

SNR 4: In the days of tape recorders, the SNR was little more than 70-80dB, it was standard practice to record "in to the red" (the red line being set at 0VU = +4dBu) to get the signal as hot as possible and as far away from the noise floor of the tape machine as possible because all mixing processes in audio post would add further noise and we would run out of SNR. Even recording as hot as possible wasn't enough though and additional noise reduction was required when the final mix was printed to film (Dolby Noise Reduction). With 16bit digital, the noise floor was lowered, providing a SNR of over 90dB and providing we still recorded near the red line we no longer needed the addition of Dolby NR.

24bit recording was a huge leap forward, so big a leap, it actually exceeds the limits of the laws of physics! In reality there is no such thing as a 24bit converter, although 24bit ADCs output 24bit files there is not 24bits of digital audio signal stored in those files. This is because even with a theoretically perfect circuit design (which is impossible), the noise of electrons colliding inside the resistors and capacitors is considerably louder than the noise floor of 24bit digital! The best ADCs money can buy use about 20bits and the limits of the laws of physics would be about 22bits.

So, all those people out there advocating recording as hot as you can are over a decade out of date, those days are over! Recording as hot as you can (the SNR window) should now be defined by the optimal performance of the mic-pres, because the SNR window of mic-pre's output is going to be several hundreds of times smaller than that of the recording medium (24bit). Even if your recording peaks no higher than -20dBFS, in 24bit the SNR window defined by your mic-pre is not going to be affected.

One last point, something we have to be careful of is that most "stand alone" ADCs (and DACs) are designed for music use and are usually calibrated to +4dBu = -18dBFS, -16dBFS or even -14dBFS not the film/TV standard of -20dBFS and will therefore need recalibrating!

I'm assuming an ADC is my recorder, essentially converting my analogue signal do digital.
I own a dr100, and I just read Alcove call it 'budget' (goddamn it alcove). What is the cheapest 'acceptable' adc?

What does it mean to record 'hot,' in terms of settings on the ADC?

What are the ideal peaks on the ADC for 'normal' (not sure how to define normal) conversations, 'whispers' and 'shouts'?

Please don't be frustrated at the low intellectual levels of my questions. It is just a mirror of my lack of understanding of anything related to audio. I'd be most grateful for ANY kind of response.

Hope this was useful?

G

Tremendously so.
Cheers,
Aveek

I own a DR100, and I just read Alcove call it 'budget' (goddamn it Alcove).

Well, it is a low budget audio recorder. The Sound Devices 702 is also a two-track recorder like the DR-100, but costs a little under $1,900. It is usually paired with a mixer of equal quality like the Sound Devices 302, which is about $1,600. Don't worry, they usually use a mic like the Schoeps CMIT5U ($2,400). The next step up for you would be a Marantz PMD-661, Fostex FR-2LE or Tascam HD-P2 ($600/$700 range).

Most mics do not have their own pre-amp. Almost all audio recorders, and all mixers, do have mic pre-amps. It comes down to a question of quality. For production sound you want as little sound coloration as possible and as little self-noise as possible. Accomplishing both does get expensive.

You can add better pre-amps to your system by getting a good mixer to put between the mic(s) and the DR-100. Something like the PSC DV Promix 3 ($475) would be about where you would notice the improvement in mic pre-amps over your DR-100; the Sound Devices MixPre-D ($900) would be the next step up.

I'll let professor A.P.E. handle the dBu discussion... :D

Yes.

No.

Do you need to mix multiple sources? Then the ProMix 3 is for you! Especially of you can't afford to spend $900 on the MixPre-D.

Do you use only one mic at a time? No lavs, etc.? Then the MM-1 is a great idea! And the MM-1 is a great addition to any pro sound kit.

Please don't be frustrated at the low intellectual levels of my questions.

I'm not frustrated by that at all, we all had to start somewhere and unfortunately, sound is one of those areas where the more we scratch the surface the more layers are revealed, rather than a specific answer. In other words, you and I are both scratching away at the same onion, I'm just scratching a different layer! If I'm frustrated by anything, it's from so frequently not being able to provide simple, specific answer.

I'm assuming an ADC is my recorder, essentially converting my analogue signal do digital.

Not entirely. The ADC, takes the analogue electrical signal, originally generated by your mic and amplified by your mic-pre and encodes it into a stream of digital data. This digital data then has to be stored. A recorder then has several components, usually 1 or more mic-pres, 1 or more ADCs and digital data storage facilities.

I own a dr100, and I just read Alcove call it 'budget' (goddamn it alcove). What is the cheapest 'acceptable' adc?

That's impossible to answer because it depends on how you use a dr100 (or any recorder), what you are using it to record and what level of quality you want to end up with. The weakest part of the dr100 is it's mic-pres so if you can largely bypass those by using a good mixer, the dr100 becomes much more "acceptable" for a higher level of quality.

What does it mean to record 'hot,' in terms of settings on the ADC?

Hot means to record above the optimal signal level, closer to the maximum level. In digital audio the maximum level is always 0dBFS.

What are the ideal peaks on the ADC for 'normal' (not sure how to define normal) conversations, 'whispers' and 'shouts'?

Again, this is not so easy to answer, because it depends on how the ADC is calibrated, and the measurements we use to calibrate will probably be a little unfamiliar as they are based on analogue signal levels and electrical voltages. On a recorder designed for film use (where -20dBFS = 0VU) you would probably want to record most dialogue averaging around -20dBFS with peaks maybe hitting around -12dBFS. These figures are an extremely rough guide though because they are affected by the other SNR windows mentioned in the OP.

G

Thanks. it is a bloody onion. :)
My goal is not to be an expert at audio. I just want have an idea of what the audio person is doing, and why s/he is using certain equipment. I just want to have enough of a background so that I can at least have a back and forth. This thread definitely put me on my way.

Seriously, I read about audio stuff every now and then, just out of curiosity. And my understanding is usually the same before and after I read whatever it is. For the first time, I think I understand a little bit more.

thanks much
Happy New Year

I just want have an idea of what the audio person is doing, and why s/he is using certain equipment.

Mostly we try to cram as much value into our purchases as we can. The larger your budget the more options you have. But until you reach the "money is not an issue" stage you are always making compromises.

(Yes, money is always an issue, but once you have reached a certain level the quality of the equipment is not the issue, it's the differences in applicable functionality of the various pieces of gear that becomes the budgetary issue.)

I just want to have enough of a background so that I can at least have a back and forth. This thread definitely put me on my way.

Ultimately you don't really have to know anything, all you need to know is whether or not you can depend upon your sound team.

Seriously, I read about audio stuff every now and then, just out of curiosity. And my understanding is usually the same before and after I read whatever it is. For the first time, I think I understand a little bit more.

It's great that you want to learn; as grandpa used to tell me, "Any day you learn something hasn't been a waste."

Greg is a pretty good teacher. My only "criticism" is that he's still teaching at the college level, and sometimes he needs to bring it down to third grade level. :D:D:D:D

I don't know if my monitors aren't good enough to hear the difference in the noise floor, if YouTube as the medium is less-than-optimal for such a comparison, if my ears just aren't yet smart enough to hear the noise floor differential, if there is some other weak link in the chain, or if it is something else-- but I cannot discern much difference in the noise floor between the super brief clips of the $1,975.00 2-channel SD702 and the $589.95 8-channel DR680 in the comparison shown at http://youtu.be/KKVeBqhXMvM?t=6m40s -- but there must be a difference (even if my ears and speakers can't reveal it), right?

What is 'normalization'?

Most DAW's have a normalization algorithm. If you use these to process your audio they boost the volume of the processed audio until the peaks are at (or just below) 0dBFS. That leaves no room for EQ or other processing. Don't do it. Y knot u may arkx? Well for a start, if you were to blend 2 or more normailized tracks when doing a mixdown of audio, if the audio on each one happened to peak at or even close to 0dBFS simiultaneously, you will clip your master buss. Result= digital distortion. Sound =yuk! That's just one reason not to normailize in the traditional sense.....and there are others too that are related to EQ, compression etc.
However, you could normalize at a much lower level if you really wanted to and be safe. To do that however, you would have to change the standard settings usually found in a normalization preset.

Back