Tips on filming with real rain.

Hello,

so I'm finishing a screenplay - short film - and I would like to shoot it with real rain. Not only because it combines with the story, but it's on the most important street of the city and I want it empty of people. There is only one moment when it becomes desert: at night with rain. That's the time of my film.

It is possible to protect the camera without lose image quality? And, a little harder, how to protect the lights?

Thanks for any tips.

If you are using a shotgun mic or hypercardioid mic you use unlubricated condoms. The dead cat over the blimp is usually pretty waterproof as well.

Actually, I forgot to mention that the film has just a few dialogues, so I only need to record a medium quality reference in order to loop it on studio for make ADR's. I believe a good lav mic under the clothes can provide me this reference, what do you think?

I really discourage low-budget filmmakers from shooting in the rain. Where I live, I have a lot of experience with this. :D

Several reasons:

First, as you point out, it's a pain to keep the equipment dry. To say that mixing electricity and water is a recipe for problems is an understatement.

Second, you can't control it. You shoot one angle in the rain, then switch around for the reverse and the rain stops. So long, continuity.

Third, rain only reads on camera if it's back lit. So you'll go through a huge amount of trouble and headache, only to be unable to see it. Pro FX guys have special rigs that create raindrops that are larger than life, then the DP back lights the drops with big HMI lights.

FWIW. :)

I've done it. Not intentionally but we had a location on a farm in the country that was available for only one night. So we were shooting in the middle of winter, in the mud, on a pitch black night with rain bucketing down on us. More than a little wind about too- which looked great on camera.

We were using a Canon 5d which doesn't mind a little rain. To keep it from getting totally saturated the DP built a little tent using coat hangers and plastic that was wired around the camera. For a ten minute job it was pretty effective. We built another tent with tarps and ladders to protect a red head. Total pain in the arse to keep moving that around but it did the job. Two more red heads had PAs standing over them with umbrellas and towels to make sure they didn't get wet. Horrible night for them. Because the mist was so thick our LEDs were totally useless so we drove a 4 wheel drive onto set and it's headlights gave us our most trouble free lighting.

After that the biggest worry was the electrical cables sinking in the mud, which they would do when left alone for two minutes. In the end we just accepted that was going to happen and basically built little cushions under any connections with spare jackets, rugs, whatever.

Everyone always says to remove any part of your script that says RAIN- and it is nightmarish to shoot in- but it definitely gives you a look you can't fake. Just remember to be twice as vigilant over your crews safety.

Serve hot drinks and warm food.
Have a dry place to check, modify, build your equipment.
Raincovers!
Warm clothes!
Make sure your cables cannot shortcircuit: keep connection high and dry.
Keep the wind in your back as much as possible or make sure the rain can not reach your lens.
Have enough towels to get everything and everyone dry in the end.

Preparations take more time in dark and wet weather.

Good luck!

Back