Canon 7d vs 60d for filmmaking

Hi,

Someone recommended these forums to me, hopefully you'll be able to help with my dilemma.

I wouldn't be surprised if this question has been asked a thousand times but DSLR's are brand new to me. I had been working with a Panasonic DVX100A for years and finally decided it was time to get a new camera.

So after a lot of research, I've narrowed it down to these two options (in case you're wondering, 5d III and II are not options due to budget and panasonic gh2 is being ignored just because)

So 7D vs 60D for filmmaking (a lot of times discussions and comparisons of these cameras don't help me because people arn't talking about filmmaking, they're either talking about the photography aspect, or some type of cheap videographer work)

Now quite a few people have told me there is NO difference between the video quality of the two. They say considering they have the same sensor and only use a small % of it for video, that there's no difference.

however, I've heard in other places that maybe 7d is better in low lighting and that the dual processors could help it manage more.

My big reasons for wanting the 60D:
-Cheaper (including cheaper media cards)
-Swivel screen
-and if I understand correctly, it's software is a little more video friendly, though recent firmware updates may have change that

My big reason for wanting the 7D:
-"You get what you paid for" has been drilled into my head since infancy

and then this may be the big one:

-I have yet to see a video or short that proves the 60d can do what the 7d can do. Period.

Of course there are a lot of those "side by side with the same settings and the same lens" videos and on those they look the same

BUT

everytime I go on youtube and type in "7d short film" the stuff I see is always better looking than when I type in "60d short film"

Could that be just better filmmakers? Of course. But it really makes me paranoid. The 7d first became a big option to me when I came across a guy advertising his film, I asked him what it was shot on and he said 7D. I have yet to see ANYTHING shot on the 60d that looks nearly as good (the film is moonflower of moonflowermovie.com)

So based on that movie, and other youtube examples: I KNOW what the 7D can do. I have yet to find anything that makes me feel the same about the 60d. (I've seen a few good shorts...but they looked "video'ish" to me. Cheaper looking.)

So the dilemma basically comes down to: 60D and 7d are supposed to have the same video quality (according to a good many people) but I've yet to see a 60d production that convinces me that's true.

I own both cameras. The major questions you need to ask yourself are "how often do you plan to shoot, and what type of locations will you be at?" And the only real reason I ask that is because the 7D is waterproof and built like a tank. If you're shooting every single day and in rough terrain, spend the extra money.

BUT to 99% of the people, I would recommend the 60D. Exact same video footage as the 7D, but the 60D has the swivel LCD screen that has been incredibly useful. I hate having to bend my neck while trying to hold the camera still just to see my shot.

Take that extra money you saved and buy the most expensive lens you can buy. That's where "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

-I have yet to see a video or short that proves the 60d can do what the 7d can do. Period.

I think this mostly has to do with indie filmmakers not doing proper research. They've all heard that the 7D is the camera to get, so they go out and buy it, not realizing they can get the same footage for less money. So it's just a numbers game, and there are far less people shooting video on the 60D than there are the 7D which equates to less videos on youtube.

This may not be the kind of example you're looking for, but take this video shot entirely on a 60D for an example of how it's more about the filmmaker and less about the camera:

https://vimeo.com/39786864

Then once you buy your Canon DSLR, learn what CineStyle is and how to install and use it.

7D = 60D. They're practically the same camera, and for the purposes of movie making, then they essentially are the same camera. Not worth paying the extra, put it into a lens or something.

I own both cameras. The major questions you need to ask yourself are "how often do you plan to shoot, and what type of locations will you be at?" And the only real reason I ask that is because the 7D is waterproof and built like a tank. If you're shooting every single day and in rough terrain, spend the extra money.

BUT to 99% of the people, I would recommend the 60D. Exact same video footage as the 7D, but the 60D has the swivel LCD screen that has been incredibly useful. I hate having to bend my neck while trying to hold the camera still just to see my shot.

Take that extra money you saved and buy the most expensive lens you can buy. That's where "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

I think this mostly has to do with indie filmmakers not doing proper research. They've all heard that the 7D is the camera to get, so they go out and buy it, not realizing they can get the same footage for less money. So it's just a numbers game, and there are far less people shooting video on the 60D than there are the 7D which equates to less videos on youtube.

This may not be the kind of example you're looking for, but take this video shot entirely on a 60D for an example of how it's more about the filmmaker and less about the camera:

Then once you buy your Canon DSLR, learn what CineStyle is and how to install and use it.

^What he said^

The video is the same. It's the physical construction of the camera, and the implications this has for still photographers, that makes the 7D better. For people who are strictly filmmakers, uhh... just be careful with your camera.

There are differences in ISOs available, as well as the way in which you can adjust color-temp, but these differences are pretty minor, and can easily be worked-around. If you're shooting strictly for video, it's dumb to spend the extra money on the 7D (and I have friends who regret their purchase).

There is a 7DmkII rumor that says early 2013. It should boast a new sensor, giving it similar low-light performance to the new 5DmkIII in a crop factor.

Again, just a rumor, and if you need a camera now then you need a camera now.

I have a 7D, love it. Used a 60D a few times, it always felt a little "meh" compared to it's big brother. The video is the same though.

Like CF said, if you plan to do a lot of photography too, the 7D is a massive improvement. I like the built in monitor on the 7D better that the 60D's too. No, it doesn't swivel, but it looks better and is way more color accurate. The 7D should outlast a 60D too. The single digit series (1, 5 and 7) should last several hundred thousand shutter actuations, but the cheaper cameras come in way under that. It's a cheap fix on any camera though, so not a huge deal.

I've loved my 7D and never regretted buying it. Always have to argue for it ;)

Thanks for the great reply. Very helpful. Always good to hear from someone who actually has both cameras

that video does look great.(though it would be perfect for beavis and butt head to review---I can hear it now "What the hell is going on? Why are all these people spazzing out? Is that girl getting raped? whoa!")

Agree with everything being said. Also, there are rumors about a 70D being announced at Photokina in late September. Might want to hold out for that. If it's not worth the upgrade, then the 60D will be even cheaper.

7D = 60D. They're practically the same camera, and for the purposes of movie making, then they essentially are the same camera. Not worth paying the extra, put it into a lens or something.

you could even go so far as to say T2i = T3i = 60D = 7D

I purchased the 60D because of how it felt in my hand and the variangle screen has helped a whole lot during filming...

natman - I started out with a T2i, which has a fixed LCD, like the 7D. If you buy the 60D, I think you'll appreciate the swivel screen.

With respect to the GH2 - is it being ignored "just because" you like moire? :)

https://vimeo.com/21962491
https://vimeo.com/20565849

The moire problem can be overcome on the 7D (but not the 60D) with the $325 Mosaic Engineering VAF-7D anti-aliasing filter: http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/7d.html

Cheers - and best wishes for success with whatever camera you choose.

Bill

Back