Which shotgun mic paired with a Zoom H4N best yields quality results?

Hello,

My co-producer is a videographer/hobbiest and he bought a Panasonic HVX250 recently, mainly to shoot a short that I wrote and plan to direct. Feeling guilty, I decided I'd handle purchasing the sound recording equipment. However, it turns out that his camera budget is much higher than my sound equipment budget (I know, I know, sound is half the movie. I didn't think he'd get such a pricey camera....).

I've already purchased a Zoom H4N after consulting with several filmmakers I know, great and small, all of whom vouched for the Zoom's bang-for-the-buck ratio (I've read mixed reviews, but I've read the same things regarding other comparable recorders too). I have quite a bit of knowledge about sound recording in a musical context, but almost no familiarity regarding film sound recording. I'm assuming the Zoom pre-amp isn't fantastic and I can't afford a nice mixer yet, one that will allow me to rely on its pre-amp and bypass that of the Zoom (http://youtu.be/cRNd9DT0_is).

So, my question is which shotgun mic, when paired with the Zoom, will yield the best all around results shooting outdoors? I have around $300 to allocate to just the mic. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I do plan on recording foley, at least an approximation of foley to the extent that my resources will allow. I already have the NTG-1 as I stated above and I'm leaning toward purchasing the Rode Boom Pole, the Avantone CK-1 for indoor dialogue recording, as well as the Rode WS6 Deluxe Windscreen. However, right now I'm at a loss about which shock mount would be best in conjunction with all this. Also, I own several Shure SM57s and 58s for my music projects. Do either of those cross over for use in movie sound? After I throw in a decent set of headphones, I'll be temporarily tapped out, money-wise, if I get everything listed above. But I feel like it will be a good DIY foundation. I really need to figure out which shock mount to use as well as whether or not the Avantone CK-1 will suffice as my second mic, for now. Thoughts?

Okay, first... It's Foley with a capital "F"; it's named after Jack Foley who codified the process in the early '30's.

As I said in my previous post I haven't used the Avantone, so I don't know anything from first-hand experience; if it's sensative enough for dialog it should be okay for budget Foley. The Avantone MixCubes (studio speakers) have been a standard for decades, and their gear seems to be well made. The SM-57/58 mics could be used for very loud sounds, but otherwise have little application for film sound.

The stock Rode shock-mount, which should have come with the basic NTG-1 package, will do fine for both mics. I don't know if the SSM shock-mount that comes with the CK-1 will fit the NTG-1. Try that with the NTG-1 first before investing in a shock-mount. If you don't have the Rode shock-mount and the NTG-1 doesn't fit the Avantone SSM the Audio-Technica AT8410A (about $50) is what I use in the field, although keep in mind that I don't do much booming, mostly static recording.

The currently popular headphones are the Sony MDR-7506 ($100) and Sennheiser HD 25-SP ($150 & $200).

BTW, the people at B&H really know their stuff, so if you call before ordering they can make some suggestions regarding shock-mounts, etc.

Back