Super Cheap Shotgun mics for $30

Hello, I thought I would post this here in-case anyone is looking for a shotgun microphone but doesn't want to spend more then $50 bucks. After much searching and with a budget of...well practically no money at all, I ran across the HTDZ 320A and HTDZ HT-81. Both the same mic, but the 320A is only 10.83 in long and the HT-81 is 14.37 in long. Here is a couple links to each on ebay, which if you do a search for that name you might not come up with anything, but if you search for Professional shotgun mic, that should work.

320A - http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Shotgun-Microphone-Mic-Camcorder-Camera-/130408055559?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5ced0307

HT-81 - http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Shotgun-Microphone-Mic-Sony-Camcorder-/280482899992?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414e156818

Also there are reviews of these on youtube and all seem good. I did order myself the 320A so its not so long when I mount it on top of my DCR-TRV25 camcorder. But when I receive it, I will post my thoughts on it as well.

Here is one review on youtube that made me decide to go with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYdjxvNK6fM

Hope this helps anyone looking to go super cheap! I will let you all know how mine works for me. :yes:

You're not bothered by the hum in the video that convinced you to buy it?

EDIT: I mean, sure, it's $30, and I suppose that's not bad for such a low-priced mic, but eh.

Just because they put the tag "professional" in front of an item does not mean that it is an item professionals would use.

According to a few folks I know the shielding is minimal (so is prone to RF interference, etc.), the case is flimsy and the phantom power draw depletes recorders like the H4n very, very quickly.

Guys guys, jeez I feel Im being attacked for posting a very cheap shotgun mic. Its $30 bucks, its going to be way better then trying to use a onboard mic off a camcorder. It may have a hum in that video, but to my non professional ears, I didnt even notice it. Better then not being able to hear your actors at all.

The ATR55 may be better, but im looking at the cheapest mic I can get with the best quality. Im unemployed and this is my first go at things, so money matters. Plus the ATR55 is twice as much, $60 with shipping where these are about $30 with free shipping.

Also, companies put the term Professional in front of anything these days, so I never considered it a professional item, just a good one for a good price. For the technical aspect of it as you stated for its weaknesses, its $30 bucks? You cant really be expecting to get the best for that price, so there is no comparison. If it uses phantom power so badly, why not just use the battery then? As I will be using it for mobile mounted use.

But like I said, im trying to make a no budget film. Getting my foot in the door to see what I can do with my creativity. If I can capture something that looks ok, sounds ok, and is slightly entertaining to watch, ive done my job. If I took a guess at how much I think it will take to make my little movie, assuming it ends up being 90mins, I would say somewhere around $400 max. Thats including my camcorder, 2 year warranty for camcorder, mic, hood, uv filter, extra life battery, 20 mini dv tapes, firewire card and cable, some gas for driving, a single main costume, and a cast with about 10 to 15 people who actually are doing this for free :lol: Wish me luck ;)

I believe that hum in the video is because you're watching a clip streaming over youtube at below broadcast quality. Hell, it's not even at the 480p setting. Of course the audio is going to be jacked up...

someone tested some of this mics with an Juicedlink Preamp? i notice very better sound using the juicedlink with the rode or NTG mic, maybe will get good sound using it with the cheap mic

I think Audio is possibly the only field where the money you spend is equivalent to the quality you get, bar a few exceptions.

Aside from some "name brands" (meaning equipment that have an engineer's name tagged on it to make it sound better), very often I've found you get what you pay for with audio equipment.

I would say buy the $30 mic over the $60 ATR55. I have specific reasons for this statement. I own an ATR55. It's better than the $30 mic you're looking at. Both will make you want to upgrade quickly... $30 is an easier expense to justify than $60. The quality is similar. The hum and buzz exist in both, avoid RF heavy environments and you should be fine. It's a great outdoor woods kinda microphone.

For $250, you jump into the next category of mic that will be XLR and RF resistant... below that point, don't bother spending much money as everything you get will have the same problems with RF and just aren't worth the extra money in my book.

Here is one on Amazon ..ONLY $29.00 !!!

Nady Shotgun Mic

"The Nady SGM-12 is a versatile, professional microphone" So it says "Professional" and some doodyheads pay $1200 for a mic...what fools !

This is something you might use near water, explosives whatever if you do not care if it gets blown up, shredded or eaten by metal eating zombies. I can hear the buzz and hum now. For best use place in a tin can put string into tin can and tie to another can, then record using the onboard mic from a $100 camera and viola ! You can do sound for Uwe Boll !!

OK seriously one might get passing sound and Im a cheapskate on my eqt so Im hopefully learning to master the cheap stuff then go onto bigger and better tools.

I just spent some dough on sound stuff yesterday, ( $500 ) got me a Tascam DR-40 recorder, an Audio Technica AT-875 Mic an 8' Boom Pole , some Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphones ...right about $500 and Im still in the ghetto league for sound. NEXT Im going to get a sE Electronics SE1A - Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone for indoors use and 2 Tascam DR-05 Portable Digital Recorders and some Lav mics. THEN I hope to start saving for some good sound stuff and have these for backups and disposable ones for high-risk situations.

Last edited:
Only problem ive encountered in the tests I've heard is that it suffers from the same sock in mouth sound of the azdens...but it is super hot (strong signal). As for the juiced link you would be happier in the long run with a tascam dr100 mkii or dr40 for less than the juiced link.

Back