Ultra portable battery powered studio Lights?

The scenario is, I want some wash light, key light, and secondary light, in the deep woods, water, mud, and no power for miles.. Oh, and carry on luggage.. impossible? Haha, I'm nuts...

I'm thinking battery powered led light is the obvious way to go, but I am not sure which one. Some of them don't have any throw, and some of them are too focused for my needs.

I'm considering the Opteka VL-700 High Power LED Professional Video Light with Rechargeable Battery Pack, but I'd probably need some sort of diffuser, all the tests I have seen have a very hot center spot.

I'm also thinking about some of those 160-200 led generic rechargable LED panels..

Does anyone have any favorites?

I was looking at those hotshoe LED panels. Some seem pretty decent.. I'd love to find one that throws far, and wide, and stays charged for a few hours... I suppose that might be asking too much though.

so camera mounted lighting is going to look like, well, camera mounted lighting. If your after some nice key and wash, you'll need to get it OFF the camera. I think MANY lights vs one or two bright ones will give you more flexibility\options in the field.

Tighten up on your criteria and youll find what your looking for:

What are your must haves and nice to haves.. ???

so camera mounted lighting is going to look like, well, camera mounted lighting. If your after some nice key and wash, you'll need to get it OFF the camera. I think MANY lights vs one or two bright ones will give you more flexibility\options in the field.

Tighten up on your criteria and youll find what your looking for:

What are your must haves and nice to haves.. ???

Good idea!

Must have's: 2 hour charge, fit three of them in carry on luggage with other stuff, 10 foot minimum throw, diffusion when needed.

I plan on all sorts of guerrilla mounting techniques, tape, wire etc.. I figure one in back, one on each side.

Like to have: ability for warm light, long throw, 6 hour charge.. cheap..

I just bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310299669947&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT and it puts out a ton of light. There is also a button that will reduce the amount of lights in use. It fits on the hotshoe if you want to use it that way. It also has built in hot shoe slots on the top and both sides so you can make your own panel of lights as wide or as high as you want. I plan to buy at least 8 more. They can easily fit in a backpack or a carry on bag.

Last edited:
Back